Sign in to follow this  
Maidservant

Kuwait Formally Recognizes the Church of Jesus Christ

27 minutes ago, Maidservant said:

Is this the first Muslim country to do so?  Not sure.

There is no proselytizing among Muslims, of course.

Beautiful.

I guess that is great, I fear what might happen if we send missionaries there. I know there are LDS Families living there in the military and working for oil companies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maidservant said:

Is this the first Muslim country to do so?  Not sure.

There is no proselytizing among Muslims, of course.

Beautiful.

No, not the first. The Church has a stake in the Middle East; multiple wards in the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, etc. Turkey has congregations, but unsure of stake/ward/branch. Kuwait is just a little slow to formally recognize the Church. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The mormon church is pretty much invisible in Kuwait.  I hope being officially recognized helps raise the profile a little bit.

Edited by sjdawg

2 hours ago, sjdawg said:

The mormon church is pretty much invisible in Kuwait.  I hope be officially recognized helps raise the profile a little bit.

There is a difference when a sheikh officially recognizes a church in the Middle East. It means they can officially meet without conflict and they can have their own building. The visibility is another dimension that I don't think is impacted. Christian churches are allowed to exist, but under/within strict rules. They are not visible to those who are not members of the religion. The common Muslim would never know about them unless they had a reason to drive by their building. 

Though there is much I appreciate in Muslim culture, I think most Americans would not be very comfortable in their society. For non-Muslims, it can feel very restrictive and it is meant to be. The objective is for you to convert. 

1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

There is a difference when a sheikh officially recognizes a church in the Middle East. It means they can officially meet without conflict and they can have their own building. The visibility is another dimension that I don't think is impacted. Christian churches are allowed to exist, but under/within strict rules. They are not visible to those who are not members of the religion. The common Muslim would never know about them unless they had a reason to drive by their building. 

Though there is much I appreciate in Muslim culture, I think most Americans would not be very comfortable in their society. For non-Muslims, it can feel very restrictive and it is meant to be. The objective is for you to convert. 

I liked it in the middle east but you are correct.  This gives mormonism a chance to be more visible in the public eye in Kuwait.  They have a building currently (I think it is out of a house) but I suspect we will see more openly visible service projects.

15 minutes ago, sjdawg said:

I liked it in the middle east but you are correct.  This gives mormonism a chance to be more visible in the public eye in Kuwait.  They have a building currently (I think it is out of a house) but I suspect we will see more openly visible service projects.

Being in a home or building or hotel seems to be the norm before a church is formally recognized. I am more familiar with the UAE and how the land was given to the Church in Abu Dhabi and the building was built. Prior to that we were in a nice house, quite large, and adequate for the two wards that met there. Stake conference was always at a Dubai hotel in a large conference room. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this