Sign in to follow this  
Terran

Past Sins In Your Membership Record

In another thread about becoming a bishop, it's mentioned that if you have certain sins in your past, that are in your record, it's possible you won't ever be called as a bishop. I'm wondering what record is this? Who keeps it? Are members allowed to look at their record if they have one?

33 minutes ago, Terran said:

In another thread about becoming a bishop, it's mentioned that if you have certain sins in your past, that are in your record, it's possible you won't ever be called as a bishop. I'm wondering what record is this? Who keeps it? Are members allowed to look at their record if they have one?

It's the person's membership record.  You can ask to get a copy of your's at any time, but if you have LDS Tools on your phone then you can see everything that's on it by clicking on your name.  It generally has stuff like address and ordinance dates on it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluebell said:

It's the person's membership record.  You can ask to get a copy of your's at any time, but if you have LDS Tools on your phone then you can see everything that's on it by clicking on your name.  It generally has stuff like address and ordinance dates on it.

So it would show online or on a paper copy if a person has one of these sins in their past?

Just now, Terran said:

So it would show online or on a paper copy if a person has one of these sins in their past?

Annotations connected to past sins?  No, I think that Dan is right and that those are only visible to a few (like the bishop or stake president).  I'm not positive on that though.  

3 minutes ago, Dan McClellan said:

Membership records can have what they call "annotations" for certain things, and the member won't have access to them. Some assignments/callings require that the record not have any current annotations, and some require that the record never have had any annotations. The Finance and Records Department keeps track of that.

So can the member ever have access to find out if there are annotations in their record?

2 minutes ago, Terran said:

Usually they aren't accessible to the members themselves.

1 hour ago, Dan McClellan said:
1 hour ago, Terran said:

Usually they aren't accessible to the members themselves.

A member can always ask their Bishop if such an annotation exists on their record.
Annotations can be added if a member's conduct has threatened the well-being of other persons or of the Church.
They can also be added for incest, sexual offense against or serious physical abuse of a child, plural marriage, an elective transsexual operation,
repeated homosexual activities (by adults), predatory conduct, or embezzlement of Church funds or property.
Sometimes an annotation can be removed once an issue has been resolved.
According the the Handbook,  an annotation on a membership record is removed only with First Presidency approval upon request of the stake president.

• Like 1

(Not addressing any "you" in particular, just the general "you".)

You get a record annotation for stuff like child molestation and felony convictions.  If you don't have any of that, I'd bet $100 that you don't have an annotation.

Of course, if you have been a child molester in the past, and you are wondering if you can move to a new ward and groom the place for fresh victims, you might want to check with the bishop first to see if he's on to you.

It is my understanding that during a disfellowship period there is a annotation placed on the record but removed when the disfellowship is completed.

When the discipline is over, there is nothing  left on the record.   When someone is rebaptized after excommunication, the original baptism date appears on the record. 

Bishops can see notations (not related to discipline, but related to abuse and embezzlement of church funds, IOW need to protect others --- the actions not the reactions).

5 hours ago, Terran said:

You are allowed your own, but not others. If a person has been convicted of crimes against children, then yes it can interfere with a calling like being a Bishop, or Young Men’s President. Beyond that, a divorce can keep someone from being called to Seal Couples in the Temple, or so I have been told. 

3 hours ago, JAHS said:

A member can always ask their Bishop if such an annotation exists on their record.
Annotations can be added if a member's conduct has threatened the well-being of other persons or of the Church.
They can also be added for incest, sexual offense against or serious physical abuse of a child, plural marriage, an elective transsexual operation,
repeated homosexual activities (by adults), predatory conduct, or embezzlement of Church funds or property.
Sometimes an annotation can be removed once an issue has been resolved.
According the the Handbook,  an annotation on a membership record is removed only with First Presidency approval upon request of the stake president.

I am glad that the church notes members who have past issues with child abuse, church funds stealing, and these other issues. Some of them I could see being something that you would want to repent of and eventually request removal of (such as plural marriage or homosexual activity). But overall, it's good to not allow someone the chance to repeat the same sin in a different ward.

Is it true that records also note if you came home from your mission early or went home 'without honor?'

2 hours ago, Anonymous Mormon said:

I am glad that the church notes members who have past issues with child abuse, church funds stealing, and these other issues. Some of them I could see being something that you would want to repent of and eventually request removal of (such as plural marriage or homosexual activity). But overall, it's good to not allow someone the chance to repeat the same sin in a different ward.

Is it true that records also note if you came home from your mission early or went home 'without honor?'

Only if you committed some kind of sin that would warrant church discipline, like any other member.  Otherwise, no.

Posted (edited)

There's the membership record, that has potentially sensitive information on it, and there's the Individual Ordinance Summary, which does not: As the name indicates, it has the ordinances you received and the dates you received them, as well as, where applicable, the location (i.e., which temple).

P.S.: In the vast majority of cases, there is no difference between the membership record and the IOS, unless the former does have sensitive information on it.  If one would like to see the former, he should probably contact his ward's executive secretary and make an appointment with his bishop.

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 1

The annotations that follow members after discipline is complete are used for members that may pose an ongoing threat. They are rare. I have never seen one. Discipline records are removed after discipline is complete and are only accessible to a few. When a record come see in with discipline or an annotation or a mark to contact the previous bishop the clerk passes that to the Bishop. The clerk can see it exists. Only the Bishop can see the report from the disciplinary council or notes on the annotation.

Even in this if I remember correctly only the Bishop and the Ward Clerk can see annotations and current discipline (and the Stake Presidency and Stake Clerks. I believe there is a failsafe function that prevents anyone from assigning anyone with an annotation to specific callings but I do not know what they are or how it works. I say failsafe because the Bishop should have caught it earlier.

If you have never been to prison or been the subject of church discipline for a violent incident or abuse of a minor then the odds of you having an annotation are roughly nil.

• Like 1