Seriously No Politics ×

Another Bishop and Sexual Misconduct

19 minutes ago, pogi said:

https://www.ksl.com/article/46571927/ex-bishop-sent-to-jail-for-sexual-misconduct-lewdness-with-teens

A couple things that stood out to me about this case is 1) the slap on the wrist sentence, and 2) the dozens of letters of support for Mr. Head that were sent to the judge ahead of sentencing - even though he acknowledged his guilt.  One of the letters came from former Utah House Speaker Greg Hughes (his brother-in-law) who will be running for governor in 2020.  Well...he has lost my vote! 

The letters of support should be sent to the victims and not in support of the perpetrator.  What is wrong with people!? 

Despite his acknowledge guilt, his community still seems to trust him while the victims feel shamed by the community.  What is going on here?  

I have family in Draper and one who is in office and friends with Hughes. The sentence is terrible, especially when comparing the recent case of the Sundance Film Institute's co-founder Sterling Van Wagenen who got six years to life, and he fondled two people, such as this bishop did, pitiful!

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I have family in Draper and one who is in office and friends with Hughes. The sentence is terrible, especially when comparing the recent case of the Sundance Film Institute's co-founder Sterling Van Wagenen who got six years to life, and he fondled two people, such as this bishop did, pitiful!

Yep, I guess it helps to have friends in high places.  It feels like a terrible injustice to me. 

48 minutes ago, pogi said:

https://www.ksl.com/article/46571927/ex-bishop-sent-to-jail-for-sexual-misconduct-lewdness-with-teens

A couple things that stood out to me about this case is 1) the slap on the wrist sentence, and 2) the dozens of letters of support for Mr. Head that were sent to the judge ahead of sentencing - even though he acknowledged his guilt.  One of the letters came from former Utah House Speaker Greg Hughes (his brother-in-law) who will be running for governor in 2020.  Well...he has lost my vote! 

The letters of support should be sent to the victims and not in support of the perpetrator.  What is wrong with people!? 

Despite his acknowledge guilt, his community still seems to trust him while the victims feel shamed by the community.  What is going on here?  

Letters pro and con are solicited by prosecutors during the sentencing phase.  The judge looks at it all, weighs it, makes a call.  I don't get the sentence either, but I wasn't sitting in the room with the witnesses during trial, etc.

2 minutes ago, USU78 said:

Letters pro and con are solicited by prosecutors during the sentencing phase.  The judge looks at it all, weighs it, makes a call.  I don't get the sentence either, but I wasn't sitting in the room with the witnesses during trial, etc.

What’s to observe? 

3 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

What’s to observe? 

I never sat in that there chair wearing that there black dress.  I only have a general notion, having been at one point one of those guys working with the victim advocates, soliciting the letters from those effected, both victims and others.

40 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Not good.

Sexual abuse is so traumatic to comprehend, so unfortunately humans have a hard time reconciling it with people we love.  Denial is deep. 

In a church it’s especially hard because pour brains put people on pedestals.  This is my opinion ****

Everyone needs to do the thought experiment, plan ahead - be prepared.  If someone accuses someone you love - accuses your own bishop, your sibling, you parent or grandparent- what will your reaction be?  

It is a physical disease.  You can choose to be angry at the disease instead of the person, but the disease needs to be acknowledged and dealt with.  There is a reason for sex offender lists, and for parents to be aware and do background checks.

Edited by changed
7 minutes ago, USU78 said:

I never sat in that there chair wearing that there black dress.  I only have a general notion, having been at one point one of those guys working with the victim advocates, soliciting the letters from those effected, both victims and others.

None of us were there indeed. 

Im comfortable thinking that his sentence was light for the facts presented. 

10 minutes ago, PacMan said:

Everyone needs to realize that the sentence follows the sentencing guidelines.  That's a non-story.

To me it was a light sentence, legal or not. 

The crime is in the broken trust, and the abuse by an ecclesiastical leader is devastating not only to the victim but has a ripple effect on us all. 

31 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

To me it was a light sentence, legal or not. 

The crime is in the broken trust, and the abuse by an ecclesiastical leader is devastating not only to the victim but has a ripple effect on us all. 

I agree (and there are victims, not only one has come forward).

And letters written by family members for the abuser may be expected, but how do they write that they “respect” him???

He entered a boy’s house while serving as his bishop, took him up to his bedroom, asked him to pull his pants down and then sexually abused him.  He locked another boy in the car alone with him, and forced him to discuss masturbation. And, this brother-in-law respects him?

Edited by JulieM
21 minutes ago, PacMan said:

Everyone needs to realize that the sentence follows the sentencing guidelines.  That's a non-story.

Given the sentencing guidelines how is it fair that Sterling Van Wagnen (as Tacenda pointed out) gets 6 years to life in prison, for essentially the same crime, when Mr Head only gets 4 months in jail (not even prison).  There is an injustice in there somewhere.  

I would also suggest that we don't need to bow to sentencing guidelines when they are unjust.  4 months is not enough for what this man has put multiple victims through.  If his sentence truly is inline with sentencing guidelines, then something needs to be done about changing sentencing guidelines.  

45 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

None of us were there indeed. 

Im comfortable thinking that his sentence was light for the facts presented. 

Don't disagree.  It's puzzling.

43 minutes ago, PacMan said:

But at some point, Bishops and other leaders need to realize that (1) you should never be alone with a minor, (2) that your physical interactions shouldn't be much more than a handshake.

What makes me mad (beyond the gross abuse of trust that injures someone in very profound ways) is that things like this put others on edge.  There's a point that someone will need to see their Bishop, but will not out of fear or distrust.

or... just maybie... more people will see their bishop - because policies will change, and there will be 3 people instead of just two in the room, and others who have spoken out will have given more victims the courage they need to speak up and talk about what they need to talk through.  

The Me Too movement has created more meaningful conversations, not fewer.  

30 minutes ago, pogi said:

Given the sentencing guidelines how is it fair that Sterling Van Wagnen (as Tacenda pointed out) gets 6 years to life in prison, for essentially the same crime, when Mr Head only gets 4 months in jail (not even prison).  There is an injustice in there somewhere.  

I would also suggest that we don't need to bow to sentencing guidelines when they are unjust.  4 months is not enough for what this man has put multiple victims through.  If his sentence truly is inline with sentencing guidelines, then something needs to be done about changing sentencing guidelines.  

It could have been 15 years to life! Wow, such a difference.

"In exchange for his guilty pleas, prosecutors in both counties have agreed to seek sentences of at least six years and up to life in prison that will run concurrently, Shapiro said. Van Wagenen originally faced 15 years to life for each count."https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900068722/sundance-co-founder-sterling-van-wagenen-pleads-guilty-to-a-second-abuse-charge.html

1 hour ago, PacMan said:

What makes me mad (beyond the gross abuse of trust that injures someone in very profound ways) is that things like this put others on edge.  There's a point that someone will need to see their Bishop, but will not out of fear or distrust.

That is 100 per cent on the abusers and that’s where your anger should he aimed.  Victims have every right (and should) speak out, defend themselves and expose any abuse.  This also helps keeps others from suffering for life because they were abused.

Edited by JulieM
49 minutes ago, pogi said:

I haven't looked at the other case, but I suspect it was a different crime. 

Unless I'm reading the story wrong, the sentencing guidelines recommend 60 days in jail plus probation, so four months in jail plus probation seems to fall within the realm of what a judge could reasonably get away with. 

7 minutes ago, Amulek said:

I haven't looked at the other case, but I suspect it was a different crime. 

From my understanding, it was almost identical circumstances - a church leader uses his position of trust to molest children. Van Wagnen admits to fondling the genitals of a young man, and I believe a young woman - 6 years to life in prison. Mr Head admits to the same thing - 4 months in jail.  

41 minutes ago, pogi said:

From my understanding, it was almost identical circumstances - a church leader uses his position of trust to molest children. Van Wagnen admits to fondling the genitals of a young man, and I believe a young woman - 6 years to life in prison. Mr Head admits to the same thing - 4 months in jail.  

Circumstances include much more than you describe.  For example, from the article it appears the guy in Draper was convicted of a 3rd degree felony and some misdemeanors.  What degree felony was involved in Park City?  How many felony counts?  If it was a first degree felony and/or multiple felony counts the sentencing guidelines would be significantly different.  Priors? None in Draper, any in PC?  That would also impact the sentencing guidelines.

Edited to acknowledge that Cinepro has answered some of my questions.

Edited by let’s roll
Update

I agree that it seems the punishment doesn't fit the crime.  But we need to keep in mind two things:

1. The maximum punishment per state law would have been 6 months  or a year depending on the age of the boy.  This is based on incomplete description in the KSL link.  The additional time was for additional charges.  They basically threw the book at him.
  2. They guy is going to be on the sex offenders' registry for the rest of his life.  His life as he knew it is essentially over.  That's no slap on the wrist.
Edited by Carborendum