Seriously No Politics ×

The Infinite Atonement - Every Cell?

Come Follow Me, weekly readings-

I'm wondering if those of you more well read (not hard) than me might know of opinions, LDS and otherwise, that suggest the every cell of the Savior's body suffered for us, in Gethsemane.

Thanks

Edited by nuclearfuels
12 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Come Follow Me, weekly readings-

I'm wondering if those of you more well read (not hard) than me might know of opinions, LDS and otherwise, that suggest the every cell of the Savior's body suffered for us, in Gethsemane.

Thanks

I will apologize for the other posters here who seem to be making light of the atonement...

We are told it was an infinite and eternal atonement - for all mankind (not just one or two people or groups), for all suffering for all time - a lot of "all" words being used - every pore, both spirit and body.  It was encompassing - complete and total in every way.

Edited by changed

From:  https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/truman-g-madsen_olive-press/

". . . On that hill was a garden-orchard. More properly the word is vineyard. A vineyard of olive trees? Yes, precisely that same word is used in the parable or allegory in the book of Jacob, of the tame and wild olive tree. The lord of the vineyard, Dr. Sidney B. Sperry believed, was the Father of us all. The servant in the vineyard was the Messiah. The task, the weightiest in all history.
It is called Gethsemane. Geth or gat means press, and shemen in Hebrew means oil. The place of the olive press. You can see presses still in Israel, for, after the processes of salt and vinegar and pressure, the olives are gathered, placed in a bag, and then with a huge crushing rock—to push it usually requires an animal—crushed until the oil flows. “The place of the olive press.”

Gethsemane:   "The Bitter Cup" caused Jesus to be subjected to the weight of all the sins, all the worldly tribulations, agony of accidents, loss and every grief for all of time (and all the many worlds currently in mortal state).  It was unimaginably crushing.  I believe every cell was close to being pulverized and His very Spirit may have been on fire (or some kind of excruciating pain).  The angel of the Lord had to minister to Jesus before He could walk down to where He was arrested.

13 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

every cell of the Savior's body suffered for us

I wouldn't take that too literally. I think it is just another way of saying He hurt all over in both spirit and body. 

The suffering was spiritual in nature but Jesus was, like all mortals, is an amphibian of spirit and flesh and the two are heavily interrelated. The pain to his body was an echo of what his spirit was enduring. If that echo threatened to tear his body apart and only his being descended physically from God allowed his body to survive it imagine what his spirit endured. I can barely cope with my own life spread out over decades and I do not think I am amongst the vilest of sinners. He endured all the pain and sin of my life and billions of others in a matter of hours.

I did not mean to be flippant with the cell comment. The pain was real but we tend to use superlative words and phrases to describe the atonement even if it makes no sense and I dislike that practice.