Sign in to follow this  
HappyJackWagon

Pres. Nelson Meets with Owner of Pulse Nightclub

10 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Well, this episode didn't make your father gay did it? Were you trying to say that the Broadway star is gay because he had a sexual encounter with an older man at 16? Not trying to be rude, I just wanted you to see that it is ludicrous to think a sexual abuse encounter can turn someone gay, if that is what you or Nehor were getting at, of course Nehor was saying an abused person could cause someone to become transgender, I believe. ETA: I wanted to say how sorry I am that your dad suffered such a traumatic experience. 

Well  ...  Mr Golden Gloves at 5'7 may have looked like prey not predator, but the end result was not a happy one for the abuser.  At 16, what might have been the result?  14?  12?

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

The data suggests that but it is abuse in general that seems to be a contributing factor, not just sexual abuse.

Indeed.  That's why grooming is abuse.  It saps the will and confuses the groomee, preparing the ground for later harvest.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:00 PM, sunstoned said:

Women and children were murdered in the OT in the name of god.  Rapes and genocide were committed many times in the name of god.  Now, we can believe that god really sanctioned those terrible and horrible acts, or maybe it was just an iron age tribe that used their version of deity to justify their actions.  I'm thinking the later. 

I was taught by an EV preacher that this was so because these people practiced human sacrifice, child sacrifice . Perhaps Robert Smith could chime in here.

46 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

I was taught by an EV preacher that this was so because these people practiced human sacrifice, child sacrifice . Perhaps Robert Smith could chime in here.

There is an apologetic defense for the Old Testament cleansing being needed because the people were so depraved that ending them was a mercy and keeping them from reproducing a boon to the unborn. I can accept that (Noah story all over again) but it is usually out of character for God to order his people to do the massacring.

In the Old Testament prophets God reveals that he uses the wicked to punish the wicked. In addition, that kind of wholesale slaughter is not spiritually or emotionally healthy for His people. War is sometimes necessary (unless you have built Zion and then there is no need) but it can often canker the soul. Then again the Israelites were not good at the whole “obedience to God” thing and maybe this helped them in some way. They did not follow the recorded instructions in any case.

I could be wrong and my testimony is not based on exactly how the Israelites conquered the Promised Land. I do remember an elderly Gospel Doctrine teacher getting up and teaching the Book of Joshua. He started by writing “Ethnic Cleansing” on the board and it did not go uphill from there. Fortunately we did not have investigators that week.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I could be wrong and my testimony is not based on exactly how the Israelites conquered the Promised Land. I do remember an elderly Gospel Doctrine teacher getting up and teaching the Book of Joshua. He started by writing “Ethnic Cleansing” on the board and it did not go uphill from there. Fortunately we did not have investigators that week.

I think that was lesson 42 in the old Gospel Doctrine manual released when Brigham Young was prophet:

"Lesson 42 - The Book of Joshua and the Destruction of the Wicked

The instructor should begin the class with an attention gathering exercise where they write the words "Ethnic Cleansing" on the board and then engage the class in a thoughtful dialogue of what this term means to them based upon their study of the Old Testament and the most recent General Conference talks."

*see "Old Testament  Sunday School Manual 3rd Ed - Published 1867 SLC, Utah"

Edited by Anonymous Mormon

23 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I do not trust many of the authors of the Old Testament and do not take it literally.

Neither to I.  I take very little of the OT literally.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sunstoned said:

Neither to I.  I take very little of the OT literally.  

I should point out that while I doubt some of it on the whole it is correct and I do take the OT very seriously and some of the best lessons are in the errors. There is a surprising amount to be learned from those who are wrong.

For a quick non-comprehensive summary of how I take the Old Testament in general:

Torah - Mostly correct but lots of edits.

Joshua, Judges, Samuels, Kings, Chronicles - Generally right but the authors all seem to have political agendas and the stories of David and Solomon are almost grotesque in their lavishness and excess. Clearly they want to cast it as a golden age but the writers seem to see that mostly in terms of wealth and military victory and God as a means to that end.

Psalms, Proverbs, Song of Solomon - Beautiful poetry (and some messed up Psalms written by some broken people) and hearth wisdom and the Song can be seen as a rebuttal to Victorianism and as a metaphor.

Ecclesiastes, Job - Both are good reading when you are depressed. Job includes rebuttals to some of the cultural misconceptions in the church.

Prophets - The best stuff. I Mostly take it as is. Except for you Obadiah! Okay, I am kidding. I love you Obadiah!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 11:17 AM, HappyJackWagon said:

It is a very nice gesture for President Nelson to invite the owner of the Pulse nightclub where 49 LGBT individuals were murdered a few years ago. It is also a very nice gesture that the owner accepted the invitation to the reception where they were able to talk. AND high ranking members of church leadership will be attending the Remembrance Ceremony for the victims.

I've gotta admit though, that I'm surprised by the story. Pleasantly surprised.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900074619/president-russell-m-nelson-orlando-pulse-nightclub-owner-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-mormon.html?fbclid=IwAR1sh4qICmxSaZom7cXpGVIF4TnE2YSA4pJQKsbw_rjVA0dtUyTtzN_lsBQ 

Wonderful!!