Seriously No Politics ×

The One Thing members do not like to talk about

This is not about me being hard on the members of the Church.  But if you think it is feel free to say so.  So the one thing I have found radioactive to discuss in class or out of class is where will our perfected bodies come from?  All that I know points to God not being a magician.  The perfected bodies will not appear out of nowhere.  Things also seem to point to a limited capacity of supply,  as in multiple resurrections.  So the main point is why do members get excited (not in a good way) when I start to ask about where the bodies are going to come from?

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I think I probably just assume that they will come from the same stuff my nonresurrected body comes from, only in it's perfected state/form

Yes okay,  but you did not just appear on earth.  Your next body will not just appear from some where else.  So are you saying another body will have to be grown for you.

Just now, Metis_LDS said:

Yes okay,  but you did not just appear on earth.  Your next body will not just appear from some where else.  So are you saying another body will have to be grown for you.

No, my body was already grown.  I don't think it will need to be grown again.  I think my old one will be 'restored' to it's prior frame, only in a perfected form.  Christ's resurrected body didn't need to be re-grown.  It seems that it was healed from it's imperfections and restored in an instant.  I don't know why our's would need to be any different.  

Sure, the process would be much more impressive for someone who's body disintegrated thousands of years ago, for example, but I don't know that the process would need to be different.

It's not a radioactive topic with me, but like Bluebell, I have never heard the question come up - not that I haven't thought about it. As for God not using magic, I'd say any resurrection is pretty magic. I hope He improves on this body though - it is pretty worn out, and not too attractive... a body that can move through time and space would be interesting...

24 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

So the main point is why do members get excited (not in a good way) when I start to ask about where the bodies are going to come from?

I've never heard anyone get excited about this.

If I were to answer I'd say I don't know as it's not something that God has revealed.  There may have been those who have speculated, but other than we will have a body nothing has been revealed.

When I think of all of the varieties of bugs, flowers, plants, trees, animals, humans, and the fuel, water, grains to keep us alive that have been provided on this earth, I can't help but to believe God can put us back together again! :)

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I don't think it will need to be grown again.  I think my old one will be 'restored' to it's prior frame, only in a perfected form.

Yes okay again, then why does there seem to be a limited capacity,  as in multiple resurrections. 

11 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

So the one thing I have found radioactive to discuss in class or out of class is where will our perfected bodies come from?

I suspect my wife may be secretly hoping for something from one of the James Bond films. 

However, if you are asking where will the matter for our resurrected bodies come from, I think the obvious answer is that we don't know. 

Could our perfected bodies be composed of many of the cells/elements/atoms that made up your physical body during mortality? Maybe.

Could it be made of your old cells/elements/atoms but transformed in some way? Maybe

Could it be organized from some type of 'stuff' that we have no knowledge of yet? Maybe.

Could it be something else entirely? Maybe.

Honestly, we have no idea, and I think that's why you run into roadblocks with people when attempting to discuss it.

It isn't that the subject is "radioactive" per se, it's just that we've got no where near enough information to have a meaningful discussion about it in the first place. 

I join the chorus of voices who are thinking HUH?  Do not like to talk about? I've simply never bothered with it.  Why are YOU concerned about it.  Curiosity is fine enough.  But curiosity doesn't assume others consider it anathema.  I just consider this like "Which atom did the first creation of the zygotes come from to make my mortal body?"  Whaaa??? why would that even matter.  It comes from somewhere.  And it is from some random location.

Why is this important to you?

8 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

Yes okay again, then why does there seem to be a limited capacity,  as in multiple resurrections. 

I'm not sure what you mean by there seeming to be a limited capacity.  Can you clarify?

6 minutes ago, Amulek said:

Honestly, we have no idea, and I think that's why you run into roadblocks with people when attempting to discuss it.

Yes of course I agree we have no idea.  But we talk about lots of things we do not have very much information on.  I think bodies are a touchy subject for most of us, very few are happy with their bodies and we experience much of this world with them.  If we are free to believe what is not revealed I believe new bodies will be grown for us.

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

I'm not sure what you mean by there seeming to be a limited capacity.  Can you clarify?

Sorry to answer a question with a question.  How many resurrections are there. Please do not guess it is quite more than a few.

45 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

This is not about me being hard on the members of the Church.  But if you think it is feel free to say so.  So the one thing I have found radioactive to discuss in class or out of class is where will our perfected bodies come from?  All that I know points to God not being a magician.  The perfected bodies will not appear out of nowhere.  Things also seem to point to a limited capacity of supply,  as in multiple resurrections.  So the main point is why do members get excited (not in a good way) when I start to ask about where the bodies are going to come from?

I accept that there is only one substance in the entire universe, that can be called whatever but I call energy; and all the forms we see are but images or appearances in that energy, in other words sets of data that are rendered as the (3-D) images; including our bodies.  Kind of like when you watch TV and you can see a human, a chair, an apple, but you also know that they are all just pixels (one substance, many forms).  That's happening in real time as well on a 3-D, thousand-point-oh, planetary server.

So in order to have a body of a certain kind, you just need the data.  It's not even that hard, relatively speaking.

Edited by Maidservant
44 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

Hmm...  its interesting.  I've always enjoyed speculating about things, whether in my orthodox days or where I'm at now.  I guess I don't understand why someone would be opposed to idle speculation.  Is the push-back you get related to people worried that this speculation is "deep doctrine" so you shouldn't even think or talk about it?  

Edited by hope_for_things
3 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

Sorry to answer a question with a question.  How many resurrections are there. Please do not guess it is quite more than a few.

I'm unsure of why it matters but for each of us personally, there is only one resurrection.  We will each only be resurrected once.  Now can you clarify what you are asking because I still have no idea?

6 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

Yes of course I agree we have no idea.  But we talk about lots of things we do not have very much information on.  I think bodies are a touchy subject for most of us, very few are happy with their bodies and we experience much of this world with them.  If we are free to believe what is not revealed I believe new bodies will be grown for us.

Do you get pushback at church for just asking the question or is it pushback in that people don't agree with your answers?  

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

I'm unsure of why it matters but for each of us personally, there is only one resurrection.  We will each only be resurrected once.  Now can you clarify what you are asking because I still have no idea?

A learned man in the Church said to me that there are many resurrections (it is a long time ago I think the number was 7).  If your belief that you will just be restored, then why not restore everyone at once (Done)!  The multiple events suggest a capacity issue, so that the reasons that there are multiple events is that everyone cannot come forth at the same time no matter what.

5 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Do you get pushback at church for just asking the question or is it pushback in that people don't agree with your answers?  

Personally I feel that many persons do not want to know how God really does things, it spoils something for them to know more of the nuts and bolts. For myself I see the mind of God in the nuts and bolts.

4 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

A learned man in the Church said to me that there are many resurrections (it is a long time ago I think the number was 7).  If your belief that you will just be restored, then why not restore everyone at once (Done)!  The multiple events suggest a capacity issue, so that the reasons that there are multiple events is that everyone cannot come forth at the same time no matter what.

The teachings of the church is that when someone is resurrected depends on a few different things, mainly, what glory their body will be resurrected into.  Those who will not be receiving a celestial body have to wait and their spirits need to spend more time in spirit prison learning and repenting.  

Those who receive a celestial body will be resurrected first.

So, from the standpoint of the teachings of the church, capacity has nothing to do with it. It has to do with when the spirit is ready.

Just now, bluebell said:

Those who will not be receiving a celestial body have to wait and their spirits need to spend more time in spirit prison learning and repenting.  

They have already been waiting a long time before the resurrection starts.

3 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

Personally I feel that many persons do not want to know how God really does things, it spoils something for them to know more of the nuts and bolts. For myself I see the mind of God in the nuts and bolts.

I don't think that people don't care how God does things, I just think that most people don't find any value in guessing when there isn't enough information to make educated guesses.  It can be fun to speculate but some people don't want to spend Sunday instruction time speculating.  They don't see the value in it.  Especially if people start arguing over who's speculation is more correct.