Seriously No Politics ×

What makes Christianity different?

It is a bit trite and shallow, but the objective of identifying the difference between Christianity and other major religions is the reality of Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice for the sins of the world. 

This appears to have a Protestant understanding of scripture, which typically forgets the concept of discipleship - once finding the truth, we must live it. 

2 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

This appears to have a Protestant understanding of scripture, which typically forgets the concept of discipleship - once finding the truth, we must live it. 

Casually castigating 800 million - 1 billion Protestants seems pretty ridiculous.  Oh, I see you're from Leesburg.  Down in Warrenton us Protestants are deeply engaged  in discipleship.  :)

45 minutes ago, Gervin said:

Casually castigating 800 million - 1 billion Protestants seems pretty ridiculous.  Oh, I see you're from Leesburg.  Down in Warrenton us Protestants are deeply engaged  in discipleship.  :)

Sounds like NOVA. If so, I love Warrenton. Beautiful town. I wish I could live there without a 2-hr commute to my job in Alexandria.

Edited by Spammer
3 hours ago, Gervin said:

Indeed, one should formally castigate them.

This is simply another example of protestant proof-texting the bible to discount the need for works.  This video fails to acknowledge that Christianity is more diverse than the protestant perspective. But then again, whoever made this video probably wouldn't consider us Christians.

7 hours ago, Rivers said:

I found this video interesting.  I thought I’d share it here.  Latter-day Saints can agree with the main ideas expressed here right? Or are we more like the other religions described?

I did particularly like the last 2 statements. "All other religious founders claim to be guides to lead our starving souls to bread. Jesus claimed to be the bread our souls starve for."

1 hour ago, pogi said:

This is simply another example of protestant proof-texting the bible to discount the need for works.  This video fails to acknowledge that Christianity is more diverse than the protestant perspective. But then again, whoever made this video probably wouldn't consider us Christians.

The video was copyrighted by the Salvation Army. I realized I don't really know anything about the Salvation Army, so I inquired of the Google semi-omnipotent god, which led me to their site which says:

"Born in 1829 in Nottingham, UK, William Booth found his Christian faith early on in life and became an active Methodist, preaching and helping the poor in his local area. After some time working as a pawnbroker, he moved with his wife Catherine Mumford to the east of London. The two of them began working with a group of Christian businessmen who were concerned for the poor and disadvantaged in their community. In June 1865, William Booth preached to crowds outside the Blind Beggar pub; a new organisation, The Christian Mission, was born.

Over the next few years, the movement flourished. Its focus on teaching people about the message of Jesus in a way they could relate to, meeting wherever they could – dance halls, bowling alleys and outdoors – as well as addressing some of their material needs, saw many people become Christians. Despite opposition from parts of the public who disliked some of the Booths’ methods and style, many joined. Their focus on those who had been rejected by the traditional churches was key. All were welcome – including those impoverished and disadvantaged.

It was in 1878 that The Christian Mission got its present name. William Booth objected to a phrase contained in that year’s annual report: ‘The Christian Mission … is a Volunteer Army.’ By replacing the word ‘volunteer’, The Salvation Army had its new title and with it an inspired metaphor for its role in fighting the injustices of society and in bringing people to understand God. Over time, the organisation gained military-style titles (ministers are ‘officers’, for example) and even uniforms designed to publicly demonstrate a commitment to God."

The Salvation Army considers itself a church. I thought it was just a volunteer organization like The Red Cross, which asks for donations at local storefronts on holidays. Anyway, I am now in a kindlier state of mind regarding the Salvation Army, and see it as humbly trying to do Yeshua's will - reaching people other churches don't. I also find myself in basic agreement with the video. My disagreement with other Christian churches have mainly to do with the nature of God, but I can usually agree on the basic message of the gospel... to lead people to Christ and save them from their sins. I see this video trying to be a unifying force in Christianity which builds upon the central message of Christianity. All in all that is a good thing.

9 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

I also find myself in basic agreement with the video. My disagreement with other Christian churches have mainly to do with the nature of God, but I can usually agree on the basic message of the gospel... to lead people to Christ and save them from their sins. I see this video trying to be a unifying force in Christianity which builds upon the central message of Christianity. All in all that is a good thing.

I guess we interpreted the video differently.  I am curios at your basic agreement with the video though.  Do you really agree with the protestant sentiment that no works are required, and that that is the only perspective that can be considered "Christian"?  I tend to think that in terms of our theology on works, the restored gospel is closer in relation to the other religions in this video (Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, etc.) than Protestantism.  Of course we differ from these other religions because of our theology on Christ's grace, but we don't dismiss the role of works as this video has done.     

5 hours ago, Gervin said:

Hey, Gervin, you might want to stop over at the LDS farm on which my sister and bro-in-law live in Warrenton.  In winter, he clears the snow from his Protestant neighbors' driveways.  I don't need to tell you about the wonderful colors of the leaves on the trees out there each Fall.  😎

28 minutes ago, pogi said:

............................ our theology on Christ's grace, but we don't dismiss the role of works as this video has done.     

The Savior himself repeatedly emphasized works, and most Protestants agree with James the Brother of Jesus that faith without works is dead:

....a majority of U.S. Protestants, 52 percent, believe that both good deeds and faith are necessary for salvation, a new Pew Research Center poll reports. Meanwhile, 52 percent of the U.S. Protestants polled hold that Christians need the guidance of church teaching and tradition in conjunction with the Bible.

The new data is surprising because these positions are traditionally associated with the Catholic faith. Protestant reformers taught that salvation was attained through faith alone (sola fide) and that Scripture alone has the authority to govern Christian faith and practice (sola scriptura).

Today, according to the Pew poll, only 30 percent of U.S. Protestants believe in both sola fide and sola scriptura. Another 35 percent believe in either “faith alone” or “scripture alone” but not the other. The remaining 36 percent believe in neither. By comparison, of the U.S. Catholics surveyed, 81 percent believe that both good deeds and faith are necessary for salvation, while 75 percent believe Christians need the Bible and tradition.  

Angelo Jesus Canta, S.J., “Poll: Most Protestants and Catholics believe faith and works are necessary for salvation,” America: The Jesuit Review, August 31, 2017, online at https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2017/08/31/poll-most-protestants-and-catholics-believe-faith-and-works-are-necessary .

Edited by Robert F. Smith
52 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

The Salvation Army considers itself a church. I thought it was just a volunteer organization like The Red Cross, which asks for donations at local storefronts on holidays. Anyway, I am now in a kindlier state of mind regarding the Salvation Army, and see it as humbly trying to do Yeshua's will - reaching people other churches don't. I also find myself in basic agreement with the video. My disagreement with other Christian churches have mainly to do with the nature of God, but I can usually agree on the basic message of the gospel... to lead people to Christ and save them from their sins. I see this video trying to be a unifying force in Christianity which builds upon the central message of Christianity. All in all that is a good thing.

It is wonderful that we include their main song in our LDS Hymnbook, "Onward Christian Soldiers."

The Salvation Army has a huge library and training school in the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Southern California.  They cordially allowed me to use their library on one occasion.  Nice people.

20 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The Savior himself repeatedly emphasized works, and most Protestants agree with James the Brother of Jesus that faith without works is dead:

I am pleasantly surprised by those statistics n the poll!

6 hours ago, Spammer said:

Sounds like NOVA. If so, I love Warrenton. Beautiful town. I wish I could live there without a 2-hr commute to my job in Alexandria.

I hear you.  I used to commute from W'ton to K (then Eye) Streets in the District but have a more reasonable commute now.  Warrenton is a really nice place and was a great place to raise a family ... not the best place for young folks, though; my grown kids have migrated to Richmond and Atlanta.  I may someday follow them :) 

59 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Hey, Gervin, you might want to stop over at the LDS farm on which my sister and bro-in-law live in Warrenton.  In winter, he clears the snow from his Protestant neighbors' driveways.  I don't need to tell you about the wonderful colors of the leaves on the trees out there each Fall.  😎

Thanks.  I know of a few of the area farms - and I have some connections to Whiffletree Farm.  Does theirs go by a particular name?  Yes, it is beautiful in both Spring and Fall.   

7 hours ago, Gervin said:

Not casually at all. I just cannot hear you for all the screaming about once saved always saved and accusations that those dang Mormons and Catholics think they can work their way into heaven. Ya gotta get to Leesburg, great little town that is growing fast. :)

4 hours ago, pogi said:

Salvation Army, I believe.  I don't know where they stand as far as our Christianity.  They work with us to help others.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.ca/article/mormons-receive-appreciation-plaque-from-salvation-army-in-brampton

http://www.ldsliving.com/Leader-of-Salvation-Army-in-Belgium-Praises-Mormons/s/82225

Added:  I see Rev and Robert mention this.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

Not casually at all. I just cannot hear you for all the screaming about once saved always saved and accusations that those dang Mormons and Catholics think they can work their way into heaven. Ya gotta get to Leesburg, great little town that is growing fast. :)

I’ll try to circle back to the “once saved ...” but want to go on record re Leesburg: great place that I don’t get to often enough. You live in one the great No Va towns. Probably growing too fast for some. Balls Bluff one of my favorite (minor) civil war sites. 

Edited by Gervin
22 minutes ago, Gervin said:

I’ll try to circle back to the “once saved ...” but want to go on record re Leesburg: great place that I don’t get to often enough. You live in one the great No Va towns. Probably growing too fast for some. Balls Bluff one of my favorite (minor) civil war sites. 

I second that about Leesburg.  We were in the area last week and suddenly found ourselves in Waterford. We'd never heard of it. Driving along we were suddenly surrounded by well-preserved 18th-19th century charm.  The only thing missing is a still-functioning tavern.  Storm Rider and other Leesburg folks probably already know about the town.  Check it out next time you're in the area, if you don't know it.

https://www.waterfordvillage.org/

Edited by Spammer
2 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

(In country music voice)

I’m born again, I’m free from sin,

Never have to pray again, I’m Saved!

3 hours ago, Gervin said:

Hello Gervin, it really is a wonderful place...and it is growing too fast. I suspect that the area around old town will be very different in 5 to 10 years given all the retail that is currently here. But, still love walking in old town and eating at any of the great restaurants downtown. We are new to the area - transplants from the Seattle area. 

3 hours ago, Spammer said:

I second that about Leesburg.  We were in the area last week and suddenly found ourselves in Waterford. We'd never heard of it. Driving along we were suddenly surrounded by well-preserved 18th-19th century charm.  The only thing missing is a still-functioning tavern.  Storm Rider and other Leesburg folks probably already know about the town.  Check it out next time you're in the area, if you don't know it.

https://www.waterfordvillage.org/

The arts festival they have there is a must see. We went this past year and it was FANTASTIC!

7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

(In country music voice)

I’m born again, I’m free from sin,

Never have to pray again, I’m Saved!

Born Again. Free from sin. 

Never go to church again.

Gonna beat my kids gonna beat my wife.

I’m gonna have eternal life.

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

Born Again. Free from sin. 

Never go to church again.

Gonna beat my kids gonna beat my wife.

I’m gonna have eternal life.

CFR for any Christian group ever teaching anything like this. Or do I get to be creative about ¨extreme¨ forms of Mormonism in sing-song lyrics without any proof, too?

Edited by Joshua Valentine