Seriously No Politics ×

Sunday School Best Practices with New Curriculum

I was called as Sunday School President and am curious about how others do teacher training or manage multiple adult Sunday School classes.

Do you do teacher training from the Teaching the Savior's Way? When, how often and where do you hold it?

Are you holding multiple Adult Sunday school classes? How do you manage traffic or class sizes between the two, or do you allow them to self-regulate? 

Thoughts about what works, or doesn't, would be great!

I'd figure out what last name first initial would result in about even numbers, and invite those A-M (or whatever it is) to attend one class and N-Z to attend the other.  And I'd regularly remind them of the designations, without once controlling any individual's choice.   (Of course this would depend on whether I got spiritual confirmation, and the rooms were both the same size.)

43 minutes ago, rpn said:

I'd figure out what last name first initial would result in about even numbers, and invite those A-M (or whatever it is) to attend one class and N-Z to attend the other.  And I'd regularly remind them of the designations, without once controlling any individual's choice.   (Of course this would depend on whether I got spiritual confirmation, and the rooms were both the same size.)

We did this in my Canadian ward for years, worked well as far as I could see (I was almost always in Primary).

Thanks all. In EQ we recently split the group into two by birth month to reduce the lesson discussion group size, it worked fairly well at maintaining an even split.

For teacher training, I found this part in the Teaching the Savior's Way manual, which probably answers my question! 

"Teacher council meetings should normally take place during the 50-minute class time of the two-hour schedule of Sunday meetings." 

2 minutes ago, iamchuck said:

Thanks all. In EQ we recently split the group into two by birth month to reduce the lesson discussion group size, it worked fairly well at maintaining an even split.

For teacher training, I found this part in the Teaching the Savior's Way manual, which probably answers my question! 

"Teacher council meetings should normally take place during the 50-minute class time of the two-hour schedule of Sunday meetings." 

My husband is in Primary.  When his group did the training, the Primary Presidency just kept the kids in sharing time. I believe.

1 hour ago, iamchuck said:

I was called as Sunday School President and am curious about how others do teacher training or manage multiple adult Sunday School classes.

Do you do teacher training from the Teaching the Savior's Way? When, how often and where do you hold it?

Are you holding multiple Adult Sunday school classes? How do you manage traffic or class sizes between the two, or do you allow them to self-regulate? 

Thoughts about what works, or doesn't, would be great!

Honestly, I don't know what our ward is doing for teach training nowadays.

We are holding multiple adult Sunday School classes though (4?).  There's a big drive in our ward to keep the classes smaller for better discussions (which works really well  for us).  Each class is specifically held in a smaller space (like the YW's room) to keep the cozy feel.   Beyond that things just self-regulate fine.  

Our ward considered the idea of "assigning" classes for a while and... frankly it made us all feel like kids, so we ditched it.  It's totally fine if people get to pick their Sunday School class.  

Edited by Jane_Doe
20 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Honestly, I don't know what our ward is doing for teach training nowadays.

We are holding multiple adult Sunday School classes though (4?).  There's a big drive in our ward to keep the classes smaller for better discussions (which works really well  for us).  Each class is specifically held in a smaller space (like the YW's room) to keep the cozy feel.   Beyond that things just self-regulate fine.  

Our ward considered the idea of "assigning" classes for a while and... frankly it made us all feel like kids, so we ditched it.  It's totally fine if people get to pick their Sunday School class.  

You have 4 empty rooms available for adult SS?  We're in a Stake Center and we don't have empty rooms available. 

17 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

You have 4 empty rooms available for adult SS?  We're in a Stake Center and we don't have empty rooms available. 

It's room like the YW room, the Scouting room, combine a couple of the smaller classes (open the barriers) etc.  It's purposely smaller room sizes, and rooms that were opened up with the new 2 hour schedule (like YW don't use their room on SS weeks).  

4 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

It's room like the YW room, the Scouting room, combine a couple of the smaller classes (open the barriers) etc.  It's purposely smaller room sizes, and rooms that were opened up with the new 2 hour schedule (like YW don't use their room on SS weeks).  

Maybe we have more youth than  you do, but on non-YW/YM weeks, the rooms are used for Youth Sunday School classes. Now that our 3 wards don't overlap, its a bit easier, but we still don't have spare rooms.