Seriously No Politics ×

8 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I ordered a bottle of the water soluble cbd for my husband from the guy I saw on FB that knows my sister and brother in law. He's now a distributor for the company. Now I'm able to see the company etc. since I got the receipt and the company's website. Today I read their blog and the one below is very interesting, since it happened to me and she got off the meds for hypothyroidism as well and had many other symptoms go away, like insomnia and her feet neuropathy! So for my friend who has it in her feet and for you Calm, maybe it's something you'd both be interested in. My friend is on all kinds of meds, and I think that's part of her problem. But it isn't cheap, probably a 30 day supply is around $109.00. But probably worth it! Here is the blog post and the website if you'd like to learn more. And if you want the guy's number I can get it for you.  https://www.brizopure.com/

http://blog.brizopure.com/lindseys-suthe-story/

It says only 4 drops daily, which is 100$ for 25 days.

Problem is that is doesn't say how much CBD is in the dose.  Even if 9 times as effective as oil, if one doesn't know how much, one can't compare.

What does the label say about content?  It is not on their website that I can see which is a big red flag for me.

found content under disclosure:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brizo-pure/disclosures/Brizo+Pure+_+Suthe+_+Batch+1+_+Lots+100+-+100-2.pdf

Edited by Calm

Info on water soluble for Tacenda:

https://www.wikileaf.com/thestash/learn-with-wikileaf-what-is-water-soluble-cbd/

https://www.consumerlab.com/m/reviews/cbd-oil-hemp-review/cbd-oil/#synthetic

for doctrine, dosages used in studies that found it effective:

• Anxiety (relating to public speaking): 300 mg to 600 mg of CBD daily
  • Insomnia: 160 mg of CBD 30 minutes before bedtime to increase sleep time (but will not decrease the amount of time it takes to fall asleep)
  • Reduction in seizures: 20 mg of CBD per kilogram of body weight daily (e.g., for a 70 kg adult, this would be 1,400 mg of CBD)
  • Schizophrenia: 1,000 mg of CBD daily
  • For Dogs with Osteoarthritis: 2 mg per kilogram of bodyweight, twice daily. (e.g., for a 20 lb. dog: 18 mg of CBD in the morning and again at night).

Edited by Calm
7 hours ago, Calm said:

It says only 4 drops daily, which is 100$ for 25 days.

Problem is that is doesn't say how much CBD is in the dose.  Even if 9 times as effective as oil, if one doesn't know how much, one can't compare.

What does the label say about content?  It is not on their website that I can see which is a big red flag for me.

found content under disclosure:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brizo-pure/disclosures/Brizo+Pure+_+Suthe+_+Batch+1+_+Lots+100+-+100-2.pdf

I read that it said 2 drops daily depending on what your body needs. Thanks for the disclosure content. Not sure I understand it really. What did you think about the blog post? I'm excited for my friend to try it. And you, if it really truly helps you get the sleep you need. I guess if it doesn't work, you're out the money. And I'll bet insurance pays for your meds and this isn't covered by insurance most likely. I just need to stop caring about people's health thinking the pharmaceuticals are all bad. I do hope for the day where these labels and the amounts needed will all be ironed out in the CBD world.

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I read that it said 2 drops daily depending on what your body needs. Thanks for the disclosure content. Not sure I understand it really. What did you think about the blog post? I'm excited for my friend to try it. And you, if it really truly helps you get the sleep you need. I guess if it doesn't work, you're out the money. And I'll bet insurance pays for your meds and this isn't covered by insurance most likely. I just need to stop caring about people's health thinking the pharmaceuticals are all bad. I do hope for the day where these labels and the amounts needed will all be ironed out in the CBD world.

I am doing some reading on “water soluble” vs regular. It may be legit and I may try it if more research suggests its value. But after I get through other stuff so that is all I am doing differently, so if there is a change it would be because of that, not my venture into warm water aerobics or change in meds. 

CBD oil has been shown to have great effectiveness in treating some of the worst forms of childhood epilepsy that are less or not treatable by conventional anti-seizure medication and for that use it is life changing.

There is murkier data on its use for pain and anxiety but this is mostly based on animal studies. With the exception of epilepsy it will probably join the supplement industry, more correctly known as the snake oil industry, an unregulated wasteland where the claims on the bottle of what is inside bear little to no resemblance to what is inside. When the FDA wanted to test just what was in supplements to make sure it was accurate (without judging effectiveness) the supplement industry hired major stars and ran ads about the evil government taking away grandma’s vitamin C pills and the whole thing was quashed. People seem to like snake oil.

One disturbing trend I have noticed in pharmacies is how much like medication supplements now look and how they are now stocked on shelves right in the middle of real medicine. I hope there is a special place in hell for the marketers behind this deceptive trend.

Have to love medical advice by anecdote substituting for real scientific evidence.  My cousins brothers nephew is a much better source.

CBD and medical marijuana have about as much medical efficacy as your standard MLM miracle substance like the fruit of the Noni or essential oils.  Marijuana has a mild analgesic effect and that is about it.

Doesn't solve or replace use of opioids. Not the answer to other more effective solutions. 

Read the book by Alex Barenson,  a former NYT Times writer for a fuller explanation. 

The whole medical marijuana exercise is really just a way to get recreational use legalized.  So called medical use of marijuana drops dramatically once recreational is legalized.

Youth usage in states where it has been legalized has skyrocketed and psychotic episodes associated with use are very concerning to health professionals.

Just waiting for the next Utah Valley MLM to ramp up to sell this miracle cure.

Edited by jbarm
56 minutes ago, jbarm said:

Have to love medical advice by anecdote substituting for real scientific evidence.  My cousins brothers nephew is a much better source.

CBD and medical marijuana have about as much medical efficacy as your standard MLM miracle substance like the fruit of the Noni or essential oils.  Marijuana has a mild analgesic effect and that is about it.

Doesn't solve or replace use of opioids. Not the answer to other more effective solutions. 

Read the book by Alex Barenson,  a former NYT Times writer for a fuller explanation. 

The whole medical marijuana exercise is really just a way to get recreational use legalized.  So called medical use of marijuana drops dramatically once recreational is legalized.

Youth usage in states where it has been legalized has skyrocketed and psychotic episodes associated with use are very concerning to health professionals.

Just waiting for the next Utah Valley MLM to ramp up to sell this miracle cure.

CFR

2 hours ago, jbarm said:

So the studies on seizures are what?  Lies, crap science?

On 6/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, california boy said:

You do realize that marijuana is an annual right?

Wow, for some reason I had thought it was perennial!  Learn something new every day...

CBD oil was one of those things that was all "who cares?" to me until this thread.  My late wife used newly legal (WA state) for a brief time between pain med doses for her cancer as a way to deal with breakthrough pain, until the hospice prescribed morphine (which took care of her until the end) but CBD oil never came up.  Probably because pure CBD oil isn't psychoactive.  I thought this was an interesting article on the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabidiol

Summary: 

Cannabidiol (CBD) is a phytocannabinoid discovered in 1940. It is one of some 113 identified cannabinoids in cannabis plants and accounts for up to 40% of the plant's extract. In 2018, clinical research on cannabidiol included preliminary studies of anxiety, cognition, movement disorders, and pain.

Cannabidiol can be taken into the body in multiple ways, including by inhalation of cannabis smoke or vapor, as an aerosol spray into the cheek, and by mouth. It may be supplied as CBD oil containing only CBD as the active ingredient (no included tetrahydrocannabinol [THC] or terpenes), a full-plant CBD-dominant hemp extract oil, capsules, dried cannabis, or as a prescription liquid solution. CBD does not have the same psychoactivity as THC, and may change the effects of THC on the body if both are present. As of 2018, the mechanism of action for its biological effects has not been determined.

In the United States, the cannabidiol drug Epidiolex was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2018 for treatment of two epilepsy disorders. The side effects of long-term use of the drug include somnolence, decreased appetite, diarrhea, fatigue, malaise, weakness, and sleeping problems. The legality of the sale of CBD varies by jurisdiction.

• 2 weeks later...

Tacenda, this showed up in my Consumer Labs report today:

CBD is fat-soluble (i.e., lipophilic) and taking CBD with, or shortly, after a meal containing fats can dramatically increase its bioavailabilitywhich otherwise may be as low as 6% (Devinksy, Epilepsia 2014). A 5-fold increase in blood levels of CBD occurred when an oral solution of CBD (in an alcohol and oil base) was taken with a high-fat/high-calorie meal (i.e., a large meal containing fats) rather than on an empty stomach (FDA - Epidiolex labeling revised 6/2018). Similarly, another small study found a 4-fold increase in blood levels of CBD when a single dose of CBD (200 to 300 mg of CBD in capsules as a 99% purified CBD extract, Vireo Health Violet) was taken with a high-fat meal (500 to 600 Calories from fat) rather than on an empty stomach. In addition, blood levels temporarily reached a maximum level 14 times higher and the half-life of CBD in the blood was extended to 39 hours from 24 hours when CBD was taken with food rather than on an empty stomach (although it's not clear if these effects would be as pronounced with lower doses of CBD) (Birnbaum, Epilepsia 2019). 

Special formulations of CBD exist that may enhance absorption of CBD. However, comparative data has not been published for these formulations and, moreover, it is not known if any would increase CBD bioavailability as much as simply taking CBD with, or shortly after, a fatty meal. Fatty meals not only provide fats but stimulate bile secretion into the intestine, facilitating absorption of fat-soluble compounds like CBD. 

After taking CBD orally, maximal blood levels are reached within about 2.5 to 5 hours. CBD remains in the blood for a fairly long time — studies have shown its half-life (i.e., the time for blood levels to fall by half) to be 18 to 32 hours (Devinksy, Epilepsia 2014) to as long as 56 to 61 hours after 7 days of repeated high-dosing (FDA - Epidiolex labeling revised 6/2018).

44 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Thanks Calm, didn't know this. I will have to decide if I want to be full right before bed when I take it. 

I also read that lower dosages (15-30 mg iirc) can be more stimulating so if you are having any sleep issues you might try changing it to morning to see if it makes any difference for you. 

11 hours ago, Calm said:

I also read that lower dosages (15-30 mg iirc) can be more stimulating so if you are having any sleep issues you might try changing it to morning to see if it makes any difference for you. 

I wouldn't dare do that because I have CBD with THC. I only do a few drops a night under the tongue for 90 seconds or longer. During the day, I've no idea if it would affect my driving etc. 

I think the CBD w/o the THC most likely wouldn't be stimulating, since I've read that it helps with sleep. But I'm definitely not an expert, nor do I believe every good or bad thing I read about this new phenomenom. I even backtrack often in my thinking that maybe it isn't as wonderful for a lot of things. But do believe it's proven to help people with anxiety, seizures, tumors, skin cancer, pain and many more, but not the one and only way to treat disease etc.

Edited by Tacenda
On 5/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, provoman said:

I do not believe your opening post is correct.

CBD, most common in a oil form, does not require a Rx, I can get it over the counter at the local pharmacy.

Per this site (an FAQ from Harvard Medical School about CBD):

CBD is readily obtainable in most parts of the United States, though its exact legal status is in flux. All 50 states have laws legalizing CBD with varying degrees of restriction, and while the federal government still considers CBD in the same class as marijuana, it doesn’t habitually enforce against it. In December 2015, the FDA eased the regulatory requirements to allow researchers to conduct CBD trials. Currently, many people obtain CBD online without a medical cannabis license. The government’s position on CBD is confusing, and depends in part on whether the CBD comes from hemp or marijuana. The legality of CBD is expected to change, as there is currently bipartisan consensus in Congress to make the hemp crop legal which would, for all intents and purposes, make CBD difficult to prohibit.

Is CBS addictive, intoxicating, and/or mind-altering?  The general consensus seems to be "no."

Is CBS harmful to the mind or body in any meaningful way?  Possibly

CBD use also carries some risks. Though it's often well-tolerated, CBD can cause side effects, such as dry mouth, diarrhea, reduced appetite, drowsiness and fatigue. CBD can also interact with other medications you're taking, such as blood thinners.

Another cause for concern is the unreliability of the purity and dosage of CBD in products. A recent study of 84 CBD products bought online showed that more than a quarter of the products contained less CBD than labeled. In addition, THC was found in 18 products.

If you plan to use products containing CBD, talk to your doctor.

Sounds like good advice.

-Smac

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

Per this site (an FAQ from Harvard Medical School about CBD):

Is CBS addictive, intoxicating, and/or mind-altering?  The general consensus seems to be "no."

Is CBS harmful to the mind or body in any meaningful way?  Possibly

Sounds like good advice.

-Smac

Hi Smac,

While the Harvard FAQ is correct on some points, I believe that the FAQ needs updating.  The 2018 Farm Bill legalized regulated hemp production and hemp product sales across the country.  The bill removed any Cannabis with lower than 0.3% THC from the controlled substance act.  Therefore, any hemp derived products (including CBD products) are currently legal in all 50 states, assuming that the hemp was produced by a licensed grower following the federal and state guidelines.  The federal government does not consider CBD itself (or any other non-THC cannabinoid) in the same class as marijuana if derived from legally grown hemp.  The DEA has been slow to update their definition of 'marihuana', and still includes all Cannabis in their definition. But, they no longer have the authority to regulate interstate movement of Cannabis seed or plant material if it falls below the 0.3% THC threshold.  That authority is now under the USDA.

-cacheman

CBD oil is not the same thing as medical marijuana, and it's over the counter.  I think it's about the same as using icy hot, blue Emu or tiger balm, but it's new and so a lot of people want to try it.  It's probably not the miracle cure it's hoped to be.  Marijuana products are being pushed by those hoping to make a lot of money--it's an industry which, I assume, wants to compete with 'Big Pharma' and get their share of consumer dollars.  But, I don't think anyone would think it's against the word of wisdom. 

11 hours ago, cacheman said:

Hi Smac,

While the Harvard FAQ is correct on some points, I believe that the FAQ needs updating.  The 2018 Farm Bill legalized regulated hemp production and hemp product sales across the country.  The bill removed any Cannabis with lower than 0.3% THC from the controlled substance act.  Therefore, any hemp derived products (including CBD products) are currently legal in all 50 states, assuming that the hemp was produced by a licensed grower following the federal and state guidelines.  The federal government does not consider CBD itself (or any other non-THC cannabinoid) in the same class as marijuana if derived from legally grown hemp.  The DEA has been slow to update their definition of 'marihuana', and still includes all Cannabis in their definition. But, they no longer have the authority to regulate interstate movement of Cannabis seed or plant material if it falls below the 0.3% THC threshold.  That authority is now under the USDA.

-cacheman

The federal government legalizing something is not a stamp of safety. Tobacco is still legal in the United States.

10 hours ago, alter idem said:

CBD oil is not the same thing as medical marijuana, and it's over the counter.  I think it's about the same as using icy hot, blue Emu or tiger balm, but it's new and so a lot of people want to try it.  It's probably not the miracle cure it's hoped to be.  Marijuana products are being pushed by those hoping to make a lot of money--it's an industry which, I assume, wants to compete with 'Big Pharma' and get their share of consumer dollars.  But, I don't think anyone would think it's against the word of wisdom. 

This is pretty accurate. European producers of CBD oil are subtly trying to downplay actual research into CBD oil’s medical uses and avoid making medical promises while others tout it as a miracle cure. They do this because medicine is much more heavily regulated in the EU then supplements (true on our side of the pond too). The EU is also experiencing a lot of quality problems with their cannabinoid products. Sounds a lot like our supplement industry over here where the packaging often does not tell you what is actually in the supplement. This is technically illegal but the FDA’s attempts to thwart the problem over here died due to supplement lobbyist pressure and the PR campaign they paid for.

For those interested in the state of the research on cannabis and CBD oil for medical use I recommend this report from the EU’s drug monitoring agency written to provide the facts to help EU nations decide how to regulate it. Section 1 focuses on medical uses and the chart on page 16 is a good summary of the current state of the research. I trust Europe more then I trust domestic sources because they are not as politically polarized on drug legalization (though there is some of that) and they have been able to legally do a lot more testing over there and have done a lot more. The US still struggles with it being federally illegal and research being a political landmine.

Edit: I suppose it would help if I put the link in.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/system/files/publications/10171/20185584_TD0618186ENN_PDF.pdf

Edited by The Nehor

I think it’s between you and the Lord if it is breaking the word of wisdom. I’m going through throat cancer right now and in my state we do have legalized cannabis. I have done a lot of research, fasting, prayer and pondering on the subject. In the end I decided to use it. I researched my best access to medical advice available to me and got dosages for both THC and CBD specific to my type of cancer. I got my medical cannabis card so I would be legal and changed my diet. I also spoke to my bishop about it and he never even blinked like anything was wrong. He wants me to keep my temple recommend and everything, no worries, but this is just my experience and it doesn’t mean everyone would be obeying the WOW if they did it too.

That said, it has been a hard time finding the right CBD oil, because it is so unregulated that much of what is available is truly snake oil. Much of it is processed in unhealthy ways and some of it doesn’t even have any CBD in it at all. There are, however, a few brands that are very good. The brand I went with was, “Medterra.” It is sold online by a hemp farm in Kentucky and they legally send it to all 50 states in the U.S.. It is all organically grown without GMOs. It’s 3rd party tested by a non biased lab to make sure it matches its labeling, and is extracted using CO2 instead of alcohol or other even more harmful solvents and has 0 percent THC in it. (I would never use the alcohol kind because it can react bad to your body, like cause heartburn and things that the CO2 kind won’t cause. The other solvents are even worse) I got the tincture that has 3,000 mgs of CBD in it, per 30mls. It comes with a dropper that has graduated lines so you can figure out exactly how many mgs you are taking. 

As far as the THC and other turpines and flavonoids I had to shop around for a good dispensary. Luckily I found the best one, because all the others were so thinned out that I would have had to spend nearly $10,000 dollars to get enough medicine to carry me through all of my chemo and radiation treatments, since most of them seem to be more geared towards vaping and smoking instead. I needed tincture and the good dispensary that I found had tincture that had enough THC mgs in it to make it far more affordable. All in all CBD included, I was able to get enough medication to more than carry me through all of my treatments for around $1,200. (This is the reason that in the states that fully legalize it for recreation too, that the number of people using medical cannabis diminishes.... because it’s far cheaper to not process it into good medicine than if you just sell it to recreational users, so good medical cannabis becomes too scarce to even find)

I’m currently recuperating from all of my chemo and radiation but my tumor is almost all gone now and is still shrinking. Both of my oncologists were stunned how quickly my tumor shrank. They even had to remap the tumor half way through the treatments because they only needed to target the smaller area where my tumor remained for the radiation. I wasn’t even able to take the medical cannabis and CBD for the last 2 weeks of treatment because I got hospitalized during that time and they wouldn’t let me use anything but their meds while in there. During this time the shrinkage slowed in its progress, but I was allowed to resume after. My most disbelieving oncologist didn’t believe it would work, but I’m quite certain he might be wondering just a little bit if it did, unless he just chalks it up to the placebo effect. I’m not out of the woods yet. I’ve still got a stomach tube to feed myself and stay hydrated because it’s really hard to swallow. I can barely swallow Sacrament when it’s brought over every Sunday, but hopefully in the next couple of months I’ll be doing fine.

A quick google search does show in many published, peer reviewed papers that not only does THC kill cancer cells, but also that CBD stops metastasis and the spread of cancer cells, for any doubters in its medicinal use. The Israelis have studied it far more than a decade. For more information on it’s medicinal properties and successes, as well as some failures, go to, “the sacred plant.com,” and see one of their docuseries, as well as (was mentioned in an earlier comment) Netflix’s, “Weed The People.” For anyone facing life or death and is looking for proper dosages, go to, “auntzeldas.org/consultation and pay the $300 to skype Dr Mc Ilroy. You also get free, unlimited follow up e-mails, that he is usually prompt to respond from.... at least in my personal experience. Also he checked for compatibility with all my regular meds as well, including my chemo because some types of chemo will have a really bad reaction to cannabis. As a rule of thumb, anything that can’t be taken if you eat grapefruit will also have a bad reaction to cannabis.

By the way I take 2 large doses of CBD a day, and it has made me super drowsy every day, but I have 2 huge, full bottles of super strong opiate based pain pills that I didn’t take against my oncologist’s orders and my pain is easily bearable. That oncologist told me that I needed to take the pain meds so that my body could get used to it until I could take a full prescribed dose or I’d be really sorry when the pain started to get bad. It never got bad, and talk about drowsy.... when I first got them I took one and I was far to loopy to even feel comfortable. As far as my THC dose it is also a lot. It is 70 mgs per day, 63 mgs just before bed and 7 mgs upon waking in the morning. If I don’t sleep right away, I’ll be hallucinating and never be able to fall asleep. I know because someone called me once just before I fell asleep and I stayed up talking too long, and before I knew it I felt horrible. It wasn’t enjoyable at all! For some reason if I was already sleeping and had to wake up to go to the bathroom or something, I was able to go right back to sleep, because I remained really drowsy while I got up. I just had to go slow so I wouldn’t accidentally fall over from being dizzy. I too had to start with smaller doses of both CBD and THC until my body got used to it as well. These herbs are very potent and shouldn’t be taken willy nilly, if you ask me, but if you do want to try CBD on your own, I would start out with small amounts until it starts to work.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone in need. I wasn’t going to post but when I read this I could see that many of you aren’t very informed about it yet.

I don’t like the idea of supporting the marijuana industry here in Washington State.  But I have severe arthritis in my knees, shoulders, thumb, feet and elbow.  I have been given prescriptions that leave me foggy brained.  A brother whom I respect recommended I try CBD cream.  My doctor could not prescribe it, but said he he had many patients who were getting a good result.  

Since this was before pharmacies started carrying it, I drove to the other side of town, put on my hoodie and sunglasses, and entered the pot shop.  (Just kidding about the hoodie.  And the sunglasses.)  I purchased the CBD cream that included some THC, and applied it to my arthritic joints.  The relief was immediate (within 30 seconds,) and long lasting.  I only needed to use it once per week to once per month.  The 2 oz. of cream cost me about $15.00 at the time and lasted quite awhile.

By the time I went through that jar, pharmacies were selling hemp based CBD products with no THC.  Not wanting to support the THC industry, I bought some Hemp based CBD.  $30 for 1 ounce.  I applied it, and found that it only lasts a few hours.  I need to apply it multiple times per day, and it doesn’t take effect immediately.

I don’t know why the medical industry has not researched this and come out with a prescribable product.  It probably has something to do with the cost of research and approval and competition from cannibas shops.  It may also have something to do with the ease in which a person can make their own.  It may also compete favorably with more profitable (and less effective) pharmaceuticals.  I don’t see any of those options as fair, or my problem. I can listen to my own body, and decide the best course for me to take.  I will probably go to a pot shop to get my next CBD cream.  It may have some THC in it.  

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves.”

That’s not a bad guideline, in my opinion.  Culturally, some of us judge worthiness based on irrelevant outward appearance.  For years, I secretly held the opinion that those who drink caffeine were breaking the Word of Wisdom.  Then, due to age and declining energy, I have taken up having a Coke every now and then and feel fine about it.  I also get more done when I do.  

The same applies to CBD cream (externally applied in my case,) and maybe even CBD oil taken internally.  I’m not sure about that one.  I would probably try an experiment, if I had a treatable ailment that wasn’t responding favorably to other medications.  The issue with that is THC is a powerful psychotropic that can have long lasting negative effects such as depression and paranoia.  If I were taking THC internally, I would want a medical doctor’s supervision.

Edited by Meerkat

We used it on our dog. She had horrible arthritis and my husband couldn't say goodbye to her yet. She was on multiple pain killers and anti inflammatories. We started using the oil from a holistic pet store. It was amazing how much better she was. It gave her a good six months.  It was pretty amazing to see it work with her.