Seriously No Politics ×

Julie Rowe rumor

11 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I have one running now on Ocasio-Cortez’s 12-year doomsday forecast. There are now 11 years, 10 months and four days left from the time I started the clock. And I waited a few weeks before I started it. 

Of course, she’s now saying she was only joking and that people just don’t get her dry humor. I’ll confess that hysterical alarmism doesn’t really come across to me as dry humor. 

Ah well, perhaps Brian Wilson said it best: I guess I just wasn’t made for these times. 

Didn't Nephi, son of Helaman, say something similar?

17 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Contrary to your mocking characterization, the Brethren, acting with compassion, wisdom and experience, work hard to ascertain the will of God, then act accordingly. There will be apostasy — always has been — but it will not mean the Church is falling apart. It will mean just the opposite, as the Church will not be tossed to and fro “with every wind of doctrine,” be the doctrine religious, political or social. 

I'm not mocking the brethren at all. I'm not mocking anyone. If I have criticism, it is towards you and the poster "let's roll" which I perceived a lack of compassion for those on the fringe, ie sort of a "don't the door hit you on the way out" as regards to people leaving the church. If that wasn't your intention, then I'm sorry for misreading you.

17 hours ago, Calm said:

Could you explain what you mean by lack of compassion or concern, please.

Most members I know are highly concerned about those who take things to extremes. Almost everyone (in or out of the church now I think of it) I know has at least one family member like that and are well aware of how extremes have the potential to destroy families, traumatize kids by teaching them the world is a fearful, dangerous place, etc.  Many may be angry at the self proclaimed prophet or get rich quick guru or political messiah because they see them as the creator of the problems rather than the vehicle of choice for fears, etc. 

It is understandable imo that many dislike Rowe because she encourages foolhardy and contentious behaviour, pushes her followers to be more and more devoted, sacrificing their welfare, their relationships for hers.  She has left their parents financially insecure in their senior years or they get look towards their own future as now filled with uncertainty and wondering if their family will even be intact. 

You misunderstood me. Hopefully the post I just made clarified that.

11 minutes ago, churchistrue said:

I'm not mocking the brethren at all. I'm not mocking anyone. If I have criticism, it is towards you and the poster "let's roll" which I perceived a lack of compassion for those on the fringe, ie sort of a "don't the door hit you on the way out" as regards to people leaving the church. If that wasn't your intention, then I'm sorry for misreading you.

I agree. That sentiment is overly compassionate. I want the door to hit them on the way out.......hard.

20 minutes ago, churchistrue said:

Yeah, I can feel the remorse emanating from your post. 

8 hours ago, Valentinus said:

People need to stop all this utter nonsense about the end times or the "sign of the times" superstition. The latter day part of the church name is not a reference to the last days. Rowe and other "visionaries", past and present, have plagued society with fear mongering and hysteria.

You can thank Joseph Smith & Co. for introducing the end times thinking into the church. It's only been in the past 20 to 30 years that leaders have stopped talking about the Millenium being right around the corner.  Rowe, crazily wanted to bring that talk back with its prepper emphasis.  However, it's great the church wants to disgard it now.

1 hour ago, Exiled said:

You can thank Joseph Smith & Co. for introducing the end times thinking into the church. It's only been in the past 20 to 30 years that leaders have stopped talking about the Millenium being right around the corner.  Rowe, crazily wanted to bring that talk back with its prepper emphasis.  However, it's great the church wants to disgard it now.

What Rowe did was not bring the talk back but predict disasters that never showed, added in spiritualism, and then stick herself in as a messiah....and then charge big for new age spiritual cleansing/healing. 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

What Rowe did was not bring the talk back but predict disasters that never showed, added in spiritualism, and then stick herself in as a messiah....and then charge big for new age spiritual cleansing/healing. 

I agree she was trying to usurp authority and had to be censured from the church's perspective and from society's perspective.  Nuts like her are an embarrassment to us all and a harm to her dupes.

4 hours ago, Exiled said:

Stopped?  Uh, no.

I've been a member of the church for over 50 years and I haven't noticed any slacking off in regard to talk about the Millennium being around the corner.  It's always been understood that we'd not know the day or the hour, but talk about the signs of the times has never ceased.  The current Gospel Principles manual, intended to teach new and returning members, contains two chapters on the subject.  Chapter 43, wherein it is said "Many of these signs are being fulfilled." If that isn't suggesting that the Millennium is right around the corner, then I don't know how to take it.  The question is, however, which corner is it around?  Chapter 44, where in the question is asked "Why should we be concerned about our preparedness rather than the exact timing of the Second Coming?"  (emphasis added)  We need to be prepared -- I take this as spiritual preparedness rather than whether or not I have adequate ammunition or survival food, but others may differ.

15 hours ago, Valentinus said:

People need to stop all this utter nonsense about the end times or the "sign of the times" superstition. The latter day part of the church name is not a reference to the last days. Rowe and other "visionaries", past and present, have plagued society with fear mongering and hysteria.

What, in your view, is the significance of the term “latter-day” in the Church’s name?

Crap, you mean, now that I have disposed of all of my earthly possessions, divested myself of all of my earthly resources, drained my bank accounts and sent the money to Sister Rowe and other like-minded visionaries, and, now, I live in a Julie-Rowe-inspired tent city, that I'm ...

up a creek* without a paddle? :huh::unknw:

Now you tell me??!!!! :(

*Here in Utah, though, we say "crick." ;)

I have a certain amount of compassion for Julie Rowe: Her brand of crazy :crazy: is .... different ... from mine, but, to an extent, we're fellow-travelers on that score.  That said, in view of the people who've done the sorts of things I describe above motivated by Julie Rowe's say-so, my compassion for her is somewhat limited.

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Stopped?  Uh, no.

I've been a member of the church for over 50 years and I haven't noticed any slacking off in regard to talk about the Millennium being around the corner.  It's always been understood that we'd not know the day or the hour, but talk about the signs of the times has never ceased.  The current Gospel Principles manual, intended to teach new and returning members, contains two chapters on the subject.  Chapter 43, wherein it is said "Many of these signs are being fulfilled." If that isn't suggesting that the Millennium is right around the corner, then I don't know how to take it.  The question is, however, which corner is it around?  Chapter 44, where in the question is asked "Why should we be concerned about our preparedness rather than the exact timing of the Second Coming?"  (emphasis added)  We need to be prepared -- I take this as spiritual preparedness rather than whether or not I have adequate ammunition or survival food, but others may differ.

I guess I stand corrected and mistook that talk by Pres. Packer years ago, where he said that today's generation will see their children and grandchildren grow up, as meaning what he said in terms of the millenium not being just around the corner. Anyway, shouldn't the end times be de-emphasized then? It's been since the dawn of the Christian era since the second coming was "just around the corner" and the d&c is filled full of promises of "coming quickly," yet it hasn't happened.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

I taught Gospel Doctrine today and the whole lesson was on the Second Coming. There has been no distancing on this doctrine that I have seen.

Yeah I'm constantly surprised when people talk about the 2cd Coming, the Last Days, and Millennialism as deemphasized. They're regular part of lessons. I'm sure among those more theologically liberal they don't come up and tend to be dismissed. Maybe that accounts for it - the peer effect of who some are primarily discussing things with? While last days fervor isn't as high as during the Cold War it doesn't seem much lessened from the 90's. 

Edited by clarkgoble
2 hours ago, Valentinus said:

I see it is a dispensational connection to the first century Jesus movement.

I can go along with that — with the additional insight that the latter-day dispensation is the one intended to prepare for and usher in the Second Coming of Christ. 

I do think it foolish, though, to put a specific time frame on when that is to occur — which is where the survivalist kooks and preppers err. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

I would say it has increased. Other then general references to it as something that will it was rare to hear about the Second Coming in GC. President Hinckley at the turn of the Millenium mentioned it in terms of the Savior returning in the next 1000 years so I am putting a hard limit. If the Second Coming does not happen before 3000 A.D. I will start to have some doubts. Lately though there has been more about the hour growing late and even more direct references though it is not pervasive by any means nor should it be.

5 hours ago, Exiled said:

I guess I stand corrected and mistook that talk by Pres. Packer years ago, where he said that today's generation will see their children and grandchildren grow up, as meaning what he said in terms of the millenium not being just around the corner. Anyway, shouldn't the end times be de-emphasized then? It's been since the dawn of the Christian era since the second coming was "just around the corner" and the d&c is filled full of promises of "coming quickly," yet it hasn't happened.

If you insist that “come quickly” is to be interpreted as meaning a specific time frame or “just around the corner,” aren’t you erring as much as the preppers and kooks?

President Nelson did just say in the last general conference time is running out. 

I think president Nelson has been warning us to prepare more than any prophet before him.  Those who think the 2nd coming is a long ways off will be surprised.  Many of the signs are before us. Although i think it could be 10 or 20 years out we are witnessing the signs of the time and the work is hastening. 

Christians have been waiting for the second coming since the time of Paul. If the Pauline Christians would have been told that in the year 2019, there still would not have been a second coming, they wouldn't believe it. Christianity is tied to the second coming. Let's say that the year is 5,219 and no second coming yet. Will Christianity survive? Will people be tired of waiting?

1 hour ago, e-eye said:

President Nelson did just say in the last general conference time is running out. 

I think president Nelson has been warning us to prepare more than any prophet before him.  Those who think the 2nd coming is a long ways off will be surprised.  Many of the signs are before us. Although i think it could be 10 or 20 years out we are witnessing the signs of the time and the work is hastening. 

President Nelson did not give a 10 or 20 year or any other time frame.