Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint Patty

Professor John Gee Leaves the Maxwell Institute?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

He's too embarrassed now to own up to that and other distinctions.  For shame.  We could have had a nice discussion.

This is his original claim:

ETA: The exodus happened, of course.  Proving it historicaly is virtually impossible.  Indeed, the evidence works against a large, grand exodus as described in the Bible”

You agreed there was no exodus as described by the Bible.  So what has he to own up to? 

Is he wrong that Hyksos are not the same thing/equal to Hebrews?

Edited by Calm

5 hours ago, Calm said:

You agreed there was no exodus as described by the Bible.  So what has he to own up to? 

Is he wrong that Hyksos are not the same thing/equal to Hebrews?

I never said they were.  He claims I did.

Israel Finkelstein and Peter Enns convinced me that there was no exodus and conquest. As well as William Dever. 

Dan Vogel in his latest videos with Gospel Tangents has demolished Gee's arguments about the missing BOA scroll. 

Posted (edited)

I dare you Robert Smith get out of your comfort zone here and engage his arguments  in the  comments section of the video. I got a feeling you might get some comment from Brian Hauglid.  The scribes did not do it so you are left with the catalyst theory.

Edited by aussieguy55

12 hours ago, aussieguy55 said:

I dare you Robert Smith get out of your comfort zone here and engage his arguments  in the  comments section of the video. I got a feeling you might get some comment from Brian Hauglid.  The scribes did not do it so you are left with the catalyst theory.

I'll confess I don't follow these things too closely of late. I have heard the Gospel Tangents podcast. From what Egypt oriented apologists I've seen the past couple of years the focus has been on the Amenhotep fragments for a while. I do think the combination of Gee's flub on scroll length and the various responses to the red ink issue have undermined the idea of missing papyri on the end of the Book of Breathings in the Church's collection. Whether that "demolished" the missing papyri theory I don't feel confident to say. I think it's definitely undermined some of the classic apologetic arguments going back to Nibley and pushed by FARMS in the 90's.

Given I've not seen any counterarguments since the whole scroll length debacle I assume it's fairly settled.

I am hoping to get a copy of the script of Dan's interview this week. Dan said a lot of interesting things. I look forward to his second volume bio of Joseph Smith etc.