Sign in to follow this  
Jean-Luc Picard

Church donation to mosque in Christchurch

1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

for it to change the Qur'an would need to re-written along with the Hadith

Was the Torah rewritten or just new commentaries with alternative interpretations?

I think it would be harder given the number involved and the accessibility and literacy. However, if leadership as a whole offered intelligent and faithful reinterpretations it could happen.

But politics at this point often support a more extreme view. As I understand it, views have become more ‘fundamentalist’ in the past century most likely due to political pressures.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:58 AM, Storm Rider said:

Islam is a in a unique position in that it is built upon Judaism and Christianity. In many ways, I would say that it is one of the great heresies of the world. It took the gospel of Christ and made the Savior less than the Son of God. 

True.  Islam rejects the need for a Savior and the Atonement.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:58 AM, Storm Rider said:

I have said many times that I found a great deal of beauty within Islam. I believe in practicing Islam one can be a righteous follower of God the Father. However, if one strictly observes the Qur'an then one will become a zealot and what we think of as a terrorist. The idea that a radical Islam exists is a misnomer - to be a complete follower of Islam is to enter into and support Jihad. Those that do not do so are ignoring basic tenants of the faith. One does not become a radicalized Muslim - rather one embraces Islam completely. I thank God that we have the majority of the followers of Islam that tend to take a more nuanced path of observing Islam's tenants.

Indeed.  To read the Koran is to become more "observant" of its mandates, some of which we consider dangerous and radical.  It may be fortunate for the world that most moslems are illiterate and therefore spared from becoming "radicalized."

17 hours ago, Storm Rider said:

I have read the Qur'an, the Hadith or the writings of Muhammad, and the writings of the first four rightly guided Caliphs - Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, and Ali.  Nothing that the terrorists have done today is new. Each atrocity was committed by these leaders as the righteous actions of Muslims and necessary to serve Allah. 

Correct.  I recently read Robert Spencer's book "The History of Jihad: From Muhammad to ISIS" https://www.amazon.com/History-Jihad-Muhammad-ISIS/dp/1682616592/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgezoBRDNARIsAGzEfe6jGXY4ahSuUmYgVD2GvnOOybKW2FdgVk-wg-cG764OSmrWHvPeSEAaAjxBEALw_wcB&hvadid=267965612369&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028717&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16625296680987894503&hvtargid=kwd-644185586592&hydadcr=20619_10167102&keywords=robert+spencer+the+history+of+jihad&qid=1562093029&s=gateway&sr=8-2

3 hours ago, Calm said:

It just means imo there is possibly nothing inherent in Islam's sacred texts that requires atrocities.

You really need to read the Koran.  At least some of the commentaries.  Robert Spencer's books shed a great deal of light on this "touchy" subject.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Calm said:

Was the Torah rewritten or just new commentaries with alternative interpretations?

I think it would be harder given the number involved and the accessibility and literacy. However, if leadership as a whole offered intelligent and faithful reinterpretations it could happen.

But politics at this point often support a more extreme view. As I understand it, views have become more ‘fundamentalist’ in the past century most likely due to political pressures.

The idea that Islam has become more fundamentalist in the past century and its reasons for becoming such is relative to which periods are being compared. The reasons some Muslims become engaged in Jihad are as varied as individuals. What makes it so appealing is the fundamental teachings on martyrdom. 

I urge you to do more reading on Islam. You will find so many beautiful things about the religion; however, I believe fundamentally Islam has a very dark heart that is completely incongruent with the gospel of Jesus Christ. Please understand, even as I write that I personally want to raise my hand and offer qualifiers. This deduction did not come easily, but through a great deal of study while in the Middle East, attending Mosques, and talking with imams. There are some truly wonderful people in Islam, but I have met a few very dark individuals too.

Edited by Storm Rider
  • Like 1

I remember years ago that the church donated to the building of the Krishna temple in Spanish Fork.  I always thought that was a good neighbour thing to do. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this