Sign in to follow this  
MDalby

Israel Holy Land Tour - Any Recommendations?

3 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

And wear black tennis shoes, only Americans wear white.

So.... I actually did have a little "incident" when I was in Israel...  that involved getting yelled at by a guy with a machine gun, and ended with lying about what country we were from ;)  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, changed said:

So.... I actually did have a little "incident" when I was in Israel...  that involved getting yelled at by a guy with a machine gun, and ended with lying about what country we were from ;)  

When I went to Israel, I was sporting a full dark beard.  I think they were profiling me as a potential terrorist, because I was singled out for extra security upon arriving at the airport in Tel Aviv.  It was intense and scary.  But in spite of the rough beginning, it proved to be one of the best trips I’ve ever taken — amazement, surprise, and wonder at every turn.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

What is Ai?

The second conquest of Israel after Jericho. The early scouts said there were few people there, so they convinced Moses to send a small party. However, when they got there about 3000 defenders were there. I believe the scouts were detected, and help was sent for, which indicates the original Ai was indeed small like the scouts indicated. About 70-80 years ago a preeminent archaeologist named a somewhat large site as being Ai. But archaeology has shown that the site was not occupied during the usual archaeological times given  for the exodus (1200-1500 BC).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, rodheadlee said:

What is Ai?

I should add that the "famous" archaeologist, Albright, named Et Tell as Ai, but then his archaeology showed the site was not occupied past about 2300 BC, thus eliminating contention as an occupied site in Abraham's/Lot's day and at the time of the Exodus. However, it is possible that Ai in Lot's day was a ruin which people still lived around. Anyway, the label stuck, and later archaeologists have used his findings as one reason to dismiss the exodus account of conquering the city. 

Bryant Wood began excavations at the nearby site of Khirbet Maqatir(the two sites are visible from one another) literally on the next hill over. Wikipedia has a decent summary of the two contenders here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ai_(Canaan)

This excavation yielded an Egyptian scarab of a style dating to the early 18th dynasty. Importantly, this dates the site to about the time of the biblical chronology for the exodus in the 15th century BC. You can read a little about this here: https://biblearchaeology.org/current-events-list/3389-major-artifact-confirms-biblical-account?highlight=WyJraGlyYmV0IiwiJ2toaXJiZXQnIiwiJ2toaXJiZXQiLCJtYXFhdGlyIiwibWFxYXRpcidzIiwia2hpcmJldCBtYXFhdGlyIl0= The geography of the site is also an excellent match for the biblical account. A Greek Monastery/Church was built on the site, and the Greek priests have long contended that this was the Biblical Ai.

Edited by RevTestament