Sign in to follow this  
MorningStar

Making the Decision to Quit Teaching Piano

Sounds like this is a great loss for children/adults for who you could teach.  Sometimes I wonder if commitments instilled by parents have been forgone with what ever is going on in life at the time.

I am not a good piano player..(played too much by ear)...but I will always treasure just the homes/smells and the different piano keys of my teachers.  We students knew we had "graduated" when we got to play in Sunday School.  I am glad that my parents instilled these commitments..especially to talents were valuable.

Just know that those you have taught..and of course all your kids have reaped great joy from your talents.  Maybe you could have fun just teaching retired adults....I mean..can anyone teach me the trumpet???😊

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, MorningStar said:

That's one thing I worry about. How sad that you have to play! At the same time, there are parents who tell their kid, "You will take piano until you can play hymns!" There is very little enjoyment in playing hymns and that's not going to give anyone a passion for music. My teacher never taught me hymns - I learned them on my own. Hymns are written for voices - not fingers. 

Besides that, the Church has provided piano recordings for hymns.  These can be played over the public address system.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 11:26 PM, MorningStar said:

Thank you. I forced myself to play and sing this morning during my daughter's rehearsal while I waited and not think about how the heck we're going to pay the bills. I'm definitely burned out. It hurts to bend over backwards for people and have them show their appreciation by giving no notice and not paying what they owe you. I don't think I will ever teach members of the church again. 

One of my sons tried to get into doing video recordings of weddings in order to make some side money, also oral histories.  He had to give it up because church members seemed to have the expectation that he would do it for free or at pittance rates because of the existing relationships.  I told him he needed to categorically refuse clients who knew him from church, but he couldn't seem to do it.  He finally gave it up entirely because he couldn't expand beyond his affinity group (church).  Mainly because he would starve if he had to be a salesman -- no drive to sell his service.  

I don't know why church members feel like they somehow deserve free or reduced rates from other church members.  I understand that the Albertsons grocery chain was owned by church members (or at least it was), but would anyone imagine asking for a discount on groceries because of being LDS?  How about a discount from Marriott on a night's stay?

On 5/19/2019 at 6:52 AM, The Nehor said:

What is fun is when they stiff you on a job and then call up the next time there is a problem and they need help as if nothing has happened. I admit I have taken perverse pleasure in not helping them after that.

I once got asked to do some data analysis by a lady in our ward who had been doing survey work, and after I had produced the analysis using my computer, she stiffed me on part of the agreed-upon fee, making up some bogus reason why my work hadn't been quite "up to snuff".  The next time she needed this kind of work, she called on the phone and my wife answered.  She asked to speak to me, the wife asked why, and when she found out the lady wanted another analysis, she told her to get stuffed.  Not in so many words, but it came close.  Too many people have never heard the expression "don't pee in the pot you're trying to drink out of."  Sorry about the graphic vulgarity.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I once got asked to do some data analysis by a lady in our ward who had been doing survey work, and after I had produced the analysis using my computer, she stiffed me on part of the agreed-upon fee, making up some bogus reason why my work hadn't been quite "up to snuff".  The next time she needed this kind of work, she called on the phone and my wife answered.  She asked to speak to me, the wife asked why, and when she found out the lady wanted another analysis, she told her to get stuffed.  Not in so many words, but it came close.  Too many people have never heard the expression "don't pee in the pot you're trying to drink out of."  Sorry about the graphic vulgarity.

My husband had a welder, he's a retired iron worker, and we'd get called constantly by our ward members asking him to weld something but my husband never charged them. One couple had their boat propeller welded in a spot. And there wasn't even a thanks. 

Edited by Tacenda

7 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Good for your wife! That's awesome! :D When we were living in our apartment with 4 children, someone called and asked what was the cheapest my husband would fix a hole in their ceiling after the husband stepped through it in the attic. Her husband makes a good living and she didn't want to pay my husband what he's worth when we were struggling to move out of that place?!