Sign in to follow this  
Rain

Church and service/donations

3 hours ago, Rain said:

I was sure we had a thread about the church and service, but I can't find it now.  Just came across more that the church is doing and wanted to post it.  

Church Provides $4 Million Donation to US Refugee Resettlement Agencies

Something to know more - this is not all the church is doing in just this area.  The resettlement agencies are the big guys in the refugee charity area here in the US.  Then there are many charities that work with the resettlement agencies.  I am aware of the church helping some of those charities as well.  I would not be surprised to hear about the church helping in other nations and charities just in the refugee area from everything I have learned over the past few years.

Looks like the monies came from LDS members through donations. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Looks like the monies came from LDS members through donations. 

The Church is its members.  Members (and likely others)  donate to LDS Charities and then leaders of that charity, which includes general officers and authorities of the Church decide where those donations go to...just like other charities.

Do you doubt that most, if not all of our leadership is contributing to the Church's humanitarian projects alongside the rest of their wards?

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

A couple of years ago, the church asked members to contribute time and resources to the refugee issue on their own, and not under official church dispensation.   Our stake has been probably at least 50% of the support our refugee agency has received in our community.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rpn said:

A couple of years ago, the church asked members to contribute time and resources to the refugee issue on their own, and not under official church dispensation.   Our stake has been probably at least 50% of the support our refugee agency has received in our community.

Just curious - do you live in a small or big city? Do you have any idea how many refugee families come in monthly?

Or what nationality they usually are? I understand different nationalities tend to end up in different states, but that could be wrong.

The majority of ours in Phoenix the last year have come from the Congo and Eritrea, with Burmese, Syrians and Afghanis starting to come in again. 

4 hours ago, Calm said:

The Church is its members.  Members (and likely others)  donate to LDS Charities and then leaders of that charity, which includes general officers and authorities of the Church decide where those donations go to...just like other charities.

Do you doubt that most, if not all of our leadership is contributing to the Church's humanitarian projects alongside the rest of their wards?

I've probably heard wrong but I thought they don't pay tithing. I'm probably way off the mark on this. But why the question Calm? I just noticed in the article that it specified that it came from the members. It appears it didn't come from the corporate earnings. 

51 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I've probably heard wrong but I thought they don't pay tithing. I'm probably way off the mark on this. But why the question Calm? I just noticed in the article that it specified that it came from the members. It appears it didn't come from the corporate earnings. 

One of the early Mormon Leaks leaks was a pay stub of one of the apostles.  It showed his own calculation for tithing on it.  There is no reason to assume they don't pay tithing.

Why did you feel the need to specify it came from the members' donations?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Calm said:

One of the early Mormon Leaks leaks was a pay stub of one of the apostles.  It showed his own calculation for tithing on it.  There is no reason to assume they don't pay tithing.

Why did you feel the need to specify it came from the members' donations?

Because the church mentions it often, so I did too. Just wanted them to get some credit.