Seriously No Politics ×

DCP Talk Question

OK, I give up.  Dr. Peterson gave a talk somewhere, perhaps at a FAIR conference but I can't find it, that I wanted to revisit.

This talk contained stories about a missionary who was involved in a joint revelation with his companion in locating someone who was looking for the truth, and who when found as a result of the revelation, joined the church. This missionary much later left the church and denied what he had experienced, saying something to the effect that "It doesn't matter". This person while apostatizing was also visited by his wife's deceased mother in a dream, and in this visit she told him that if he wanted to go to hell, that was his choice, but he should not take his wife (her daughter) with him.

Is this familiar to anyone who can tell me where I can find the talk?  I'd even welcome @Daniel Peterson chiming in!  Not that he visits here very often any more.

5 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

You could send him a personal message (PM) on this board's system, if you wish.  Daniel is a friendly, affable guy.  He'll get back to you on it.

He hasn't been here since January 8th. Doesn't he have to come here in order to see if he got a message?

Edited by Stargazer
11 hours ago, Stargazer said:

He hasn't been here since January 8th. Doesn't he have to come here in order to see if he got a message?

I tried to send you a PM just now, but the system says that you cannot receive PMs.  You'll have to ask the mods about it.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
On 5/12/2019 at 8:52 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

I tried to send you a PM just now, but the system says that you cannot receive PMs.  You'll have to ask the mods about it.

Ah, yes. My message box was full.  I have loads of conversations there that I am loathe to delete.  I have just now cleared out some of it, so you should be able to PM me.  

2 hours ago, Calm said:

I don't know if he is at the school this semester, here is his academic info:

https://humanities.byu.edu/person/daniel-c-peterson/

I got an email address PMed to me earlier, and I've sent the query to him that way.  Don't know when or if I'll get a response, but...

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

There appears to be no way to get into contact with anyone there.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

I don't know if he is at the school this semester, here is his academic info:

https://humanities.byu.edu/person/daniel-c-peterson/

On the mormoninterpreter home page you can click on the "Journal" tab and go down the list to "Authors" and click on that.  Then click on "P" to drill down to Dan's info.  This is an email address:                          He can found on Patheos:

mm
daniel_peterson@byu.edu
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5mTHC1IdPencs8ftoXtZdPiTaYVQx2sFXhdHqxlCD9-Pjyyrr8NkbqRHh

Mormon scholar and Islam expert Dan Peterson