Sign in to follow this  
Scott Lloyd

Golden Spike Sesquicentennial today

Get yourselves up to Kelton today or tomorrow!

Here's comes the Big Boy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, USU78 said:

Get yourselves up to Kelton today or tomorrow!

How far is Kelton from Promontory?

Tickets are all gone for the festivities at the historic site. I’ll be taking my family up later in the year. 

3 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Here's comes the Big Boy.

Nice video. 

My number three son and I went and saw it at his instigation when it stopped in Salt Lake several years ago. It is immense! Pictures don’t do it justice. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Tickets are all gone for the festivities at the historic site. I’ll be taking my family up later in the year. 

about 75 miles, or 2 hour drive:  

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=promontory+utah+to+kelton+utah&form=EDGEAR&qs=PF&cvid=380d41ca0a2c440cbd4c0235e9d540b5&cc=US&setlang=en-US&plvar=0#

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelton,_Utah

The-Big-Bang-Theory-funny-jokes--1390428

• Like 2

Hubby and I were in Ogden on Wednesday and saw the locomotive beginning to enter the city.  Cool stuff.  

We go out to the Golden Spike Historical site often because you go right by it on the way to the Spiral Jetty.  

For anyone who has a 4x4 vehicle I strongly recommend taking a drive on the old transcontinental track bed.  The trail starts near the Golden Spike center.  The rails and cross ties have been removed (and there are by passes for the trestles, which are no longer safe to drive on) but it's a really cool experience.  You pass by quite a few ghost towns complete with cemeteries.  The road is not at all rough but in the spring it can be snowy or muddy.  Definitely take a trail book so you don't get off on any of the cross trails.  Usually you can easily see the track bed because it's raised but there are a couple of places where you are on a regular dirt road for a little bit.  

he trail ends near the Sun Tunnels so I would suggest heading over to see them (probably only a 10 minute drive) and then taking the backroad that connects the tunnels to the bonneville salt flats/wendover/I-80 (it's a basic dirt road and not at all rough-probably about 40 minutes if I'm remembering right) and making a day of the adventure.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stemelbow said:

Sheesh, that’s nearly as far as the distance between Promontory and my home in Sandy. Are you sure that’s accurate? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Sheesh, that’s nearly as far as the distance between Promontory and my home in Sandy. Are you sure that’s accurate? 

Well, no I can't be certain.  Usually when I enter in driving from one place to another, I get there much quicker than it tells me.  My wife says I drive slow, but I usually hit at least the speed limit.   I'm thinking if she drove from Promontory to Kelton, particularly on days when no one's on the road, she'd be there in under an hour.  

I"m in Sandy too.

Edited by stemelbow

45 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

On a personal note, I was present as a teenager 50 years ago for the commemoration of the 100th anniversary.

Going for the 200th?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/history-revisited/2019-05-08/golden-spike-150th-anniversary-transcontinental-railroad-49685

Today is a landmark day in Church history as well as American history: 150 years since the completion of the transcontinental railroad at Promontory Summit in Utah. Above is a link to an article in the Church News by my friend Trent Toone reporting his interview with Church historians exploring the involvement of the Church and its members in the development of the   railroad and its significance to them.

On a personal note, I was present as a teenager 50 years ago for the commemoration of the 100th anniversary. And as a former Ogden Standard-Examiner reporter, I have been to the Golden Spike National Historic Site several times and seen the live re-enactment    of “the wedding of the rails.”

What i want to know is what happened to the gold spike? Did Butch Cassidy get it?

image.jpeg.0aa2992205daa26be94aabc08155882a.jpegThe one donated to Stanford Museum in 1898 thirty years later is obviously a fake...

Edited by RevTestament

What I want to know is, What happened to the Chinese who built the thing?

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/history-revisited/2019-05-08/golden-spike-150th-anniversary-transcontinental-railroad-49685

Today is a landmark day in Church history as well as American history: 150 years since the completion of the transcontinental railroad at Promontory Summit in Utah. Above is a link to an article in the Church News by my friend Trent Toone reporting his interview with Church historians exploring the involvement of the Church and its members in the development of the   railroad and its significance to them.

On a personal note, I was present as a teenager 50 years ago for the commemoration of the 100th anniversary. And as a former Ogden Standard-Examiner reporter, I have been to the Golden Spike National Historic Site several times and seen the live re-enactment    of “the wedding of the rails.”

I would suggest the Church News editors replace "Latter-day Saints" with "Everyone" going forward :)

24 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-chang-transcontinental-railroad-anniversary-chinese-workers-20190510-story.html

https://www.apnews.com/97ac6ef2719a4e4786b9c7d8d5188363

The second link is more focused on Utah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

Going for the 200th?

I would be 114 then. Some people have lived that long, I suppose. 

37 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Well, they were treated poorly and excluded from society and government.  It is estimated I belive that a good 10% of them died while doing the work but no one recorded the deaths so...well.  That's nice.  After the track was complete the sentiment for Chinese Americans grew worse and worse until they passed the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.  

1 hour ago, RevTestament said:

What i want to know is what happened to the gold spike? Did Butch Cassidy get it?

image.jpeg.0aa2992205daa26be94aabc08155882a.jpegThe one donated to Stanford Museum in 1898 thirty years later is obviously a fake...

Why do you believe it’s a fake?

40 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I would be 114 then. Some people have lived that long, I suppose. 

Something to aim for....although I don't know that I would want to be around for 114 years. :)

24 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Something to aim for....although I don't know that I would want to be around for 114 years. :)

It might take me that long to earn my first million dollars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

They only worked on the Central Pacific side, although they comprised the vast majority of that railroad’s workforce. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

About 33 miles. Cute little place. Really bad water.