Seriously No Politics ×

No back up plan, but thankfully a doctor who dared to remind me.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:02 PM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Joesph Campbell once wrote, (this is from memory)

”We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, as to live the life we are living (or have)”   

Is that sort of like saying that those who lose their life will find it?

You seem to have lived your life for others and I believe that is what the gospel is about. Sometimes that can become seemingly overwhelming, but I also the rewards in this life (such as that young grandchild's love) and the next, whatever they may be, are worth it. I salute you.

Glenn

2 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

Is that sort of like saying that those who lose their life will find it?

You seem to have lived your life for others and I believe that is what the gospel is about. Sometimes that can become seemingly overwhelming, but I also the rewards in this life (such as that young grandchild's love) and the next, whatever they may be, are worth it. I salute you.

Glenn

Thank you for reminding me of the rewards of family, it is all that keeps trying to be engaged in life. Sadly my years and occupations have taken a difficult toll on my body. My back was injured (broken in three places) on May 21, 2012, and I have not been able to work again. The teenager who hit us, not only broke my back, but my wife was pinned in our truck, she was driving. It happened so quickly, I did not even know I was injured that badly, so despite the three disks broken, I tried pulling the door open to let her open. When that did not work, I crawled in from the passenger side, hooked my arms under her’s and pulled her out to safety. Once the rush was over, and she was free, I collapsed into the street, causing a much greater injury. I miss being out, as in traveling more, and I miss work, a lot. Thankfully, I made a lot of good decisions, and we have the money to meet our needs. But over the last few months I have taken two serious falls, this latest where I broke another two ribs. 

My Doctor was trying to remind me of what really matters, and telling me that, “your silly pride is keeping you from using a cane or a walker”! He then told me, “I know that your wife Pam will take care of you no matter what”. He continues “I tell you this, because you have no right to make it harder for her care for you, just because you think having someone assist you is (in your mind) beneath you”. Needless to say my wife was in tears, and I was throughly shamed by his remarks. My son’s are already doing a remodel on our bathroom to make it handicap ready, with rails, low step in shower, etc. My oldest is paying for all of the remodeling, in large part, with the others pitching in. Next they will work on a wheelchair ramp, even though I am not in a wheelchair yet, but they worry about our steps. I have a wonderful family, all 19 now...I am, a wealthy (not money) and blessed man. I am loved by them all, and I love them all...but, I do fear what the future brings via my mobility, it already causes me to be depressed at times. I have always gaged my value to what I should do working, and too often have gaged my value by that work, which makes it difficult to know my place in the world, now? 

2 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I have always gaged my value to what I should do working, and too often have gaged my value by that work, which makes it difficult to know my place in the world, now? 

You have been through a lot of tough stretches in your life and I really cannot fathom how you have been able to stay with it physically and emotionally. I understand how you feel about the work ethic as a gauge of one's worth, but is that the way we should look at it? Does not life have intrinsic value in and of itself? Does not that child born without the capability of ever taking care of him or herself have as great a value as the person that is capable and works all of his or her life? I remember the words of Christ to his newly called Apostles (and to all of us) In Matthew 10:

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.

31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Look at the value that you add to the lives of others by the love you give and receive. Please do not beat yourself up over this. I know it is tough on you, but I really cannot imagine how tough. But I believe that you are a really wonderful person and that the Lord is on your side.

Glenn