Sign in to follow this  
changed

Secularization Hits the Mormons

At least 40% of those in my own family and other active families I know who were raised in the LDS faith have left the church.  

89 members have voted

1. 1. At least 40% of those in my own family and other active families I know who were raised in the LDS faith have left the church.

• True
    • False
  2. 2. I believe God is a real “exalted person of bone and flesh"

• True
    • False
  3. 3. I believe that Jesus was literally resurrected.

• True
    • False

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

Man, I gave your post a like because it wasn't the Rorty video! ;) 

Oh I have lots!  But I keep repeating it until at least until one person actually understands it.  When that happens I can break out the others.  :)

Here's another - less professional but making the same point ;)

They are everywhere- just google "atheist conscience"

The logic in this one is remarkably convoluted, so it is easier to see how atheists have no idea how to understand conscience.

https://m.news24.com/MyNews24/Do-atheists-have-a-conscience-20150710

Here's another which identifies conscience with God- in a mocking sort of way, saying that conscience is his only "God".

Seeing that as the light of Christ- he is in my opinion making the case FOR God because his explanations for what God "really is" are no more provable or falsifiable than ours.   It's the same thing over and over.  Atheist conscience mimics a religious view with different unexplainable and equally faith based paradigms

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/i-m-a-contented-atheist-my-conscience-is-my-only-god-1.3781795

It ends like this:

It’s a couple of years now and I’m a contented atheist because my conscience is my only god. Religion used to provide me with succour but nowadays I find reliable and greater succour in confronting my failings, each time only to realise that my destiny is truly in my own hands.

I believe it was Heraclitus who said “a man’s character is his fate”. And my character is mine to make.

To me ironically this is actually confirming his still religious position.  The still small voice is his god.  Then he seeks "succor" (misspelled) in confronting his failings

Sounds like repentance to me.

His destiny is in his own hands.  Sounds like getting our own testimonies and creating our own worlds out of matter unorganized to me.

Edited by mfbukowski

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Anonymous Mormon said:

We are off topic on this and I am fine if they make us start a new thread. But I am curious Hamba, how you have gained personal experience with Jesus Christ? For me, I struggle with bearing testimony of Christ because I find that a lot of times I just talking about feelings, which like others have said are up to interpretation and re-interpretation. I feel like my life/testimony lacks 'personal' interaction. 

How have you gained this personal relationship with Christ that you bear testimony of? What does it look like in your life? 

This is a great question, and a very important one.  I believe many of us worship God without realizing it.  After awhile, God let’s us know that our lives are happy and blessed because we have (sometimes accidentally,) been living according to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  

Others of us hit a wall of confusion and despair, and call out to God in our desperation to know if He lives, and if life has a purpose.  He answers in a deeply personal way.  Persistence, prayer,  patience and obedience can ultimately bring us to a personal and saving relationship with Jesus Christ.

For those of us who need help with our unbelief, and don’t obtain that personal knowledge during mortality, God, in His mercy and fairness, has provided at least one more opportunity beyond the veil of death.

We learn in 1 Peter 4:6 “6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.” One more opportunitÿ to gain that  inspiration and personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

May the Lord answer the prayers of all who seek a deep and personal relationship with Him, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Edited by Meerkat
  • Like 2