Sign in to follow this  
PacMan

His middle name is Hagoth

From the article:

Crawford's DNA story suggests his ancestors came from the Pacific, traveled to the coast of South America and traveled north, according to CRI. That's a theory anyway. 

He's part of mtDNA 
Haplogroup B2, which has a low frequency in Alaska and Canada and originated in Arizona about 17,000 years ago.

That group is one of four major Native American groups that spread across the continent. They're called clans and traced back to four female ancestors, Ai, Ina, Chie and Sachi. Crawford's DNA says he's a descendant of Ina.

The DNA group’s closest relatives outside the Americas are in Southeast Asia.

Not sure I agree with their conclusions (and don't understand how they reached them) but these results would support arguments for migrations from SE Asia to America and not migrations from America to Polynesia.

3 hours ago, Rajah Manchou said:

Not sure I agree with their conclusions (and don't understand how they reached them) but these results would support arguments for migrations from SE Asia to America and not migrations from America to Polynesia.

I think the assumption is that the Jaredites had vessels like the polynesians and came across the Pacific. While this is much too early to be Jaredite it raises the possibility of such travels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

I think the assumption is that the Jaredites had vessels like the polynesians and came across the Pacific. While this is much too early to be Jaredite it raises the possibility of such travels.

I'm not convinced we've nailed the Jaredites down to a reasonably handle-able date range.  I'm certainly not convinced that we know when the Noahic flood occurred, unless we like the folklorish notion that Seth was Melchizedek and he and Abraham were contemporaries.  I have no problem with the Noahic flood and the tower's destruction being post-ice-age phenomena.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rajah Manchou said:

From the article:

In addition to Jaredites, it shows that travel certainly occurred. If it happened one way, some back and forth is certainly likely. That opens up many possibilities. I’d note that the Maori have traditions that their people came from Hawaii, and from the east before that. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, USU78 said:

I'm not convinced we've nailed the Jaredites down to a reasonably handle-able date range.  I'm certainly not convinced that we know when the Noahic flood occurred,    I have no problem with the Noahic flood and the tower's destruction being post-ice-age phenomena.

The dating of the Great Deluge is unrelated to dating the Jaredites or the Great Tower, and the latter two present no insuperable problem.  We can date early building of temple towers (ziggurats) by Mesopotamian archeology, and we know for certain that the Jaredites come from north Mesopotamia just based  on the biblical evidence alone (Nimrod, the great hunter).  We also know that their end comes in Mulekite times -- before the union of zarahemla with the Nephites under Mosiah I.  That gives them about three millennia in the New World, and only one culture can be identified with their florescence, Las Olmecas.  Although both the Olmecs and Jaredite civilizations end, we can see that there were survivors who passed on knowledge, such as the Sumerian name for "barley, grain, etc.," SHE-UM (Mosiah 9:9), in cuneiform 122BA-SHE-NIGA-NIGU-barley-1msyo44.jpg.  It is a Sumerian loanword in Akkadian, for which the Chicago Asssyrian Dictionary entry is image.png.aa644c7d0a9f7867d171dc552cc3a7cb.png wherein the Sumerian source is given as SHE-AM, etc.  The Nephites would have received this word from the Mulekites in the form frozen long before in the Sumerian of the Jaredites.

......... the folklorish notion that Seth was Melchizedek and he and Abraham were contemporaries.  ..............

The usual notion is that Shem is Melchizedek, according to both LDS* and Jewish folklore**

* Alma E. Gygi, Ensign, 3/11 (Nov 1973):15-16, citing especially Times & Seasons, VI:746 (“Shem, who was Melchizedek”), Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine (SLC: Deseret Book, 1919), 474.

**  Rabbinic tradition in the Babylonian Talmud (Nedarim 32b) as well as in the Jewish Aramaic targums (Targums Neofiti and Pseudo-Jonathan).

image.png

Edited by Robert F. Smith
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

Following the title of the thread, I assumed the assumption was Hagoth. Either way, haplogroup B4b1 is concentrated in SE Asia. It is more likely a SE Asian and Austronesian haplogroup, and not so much Polynesian.

"...The subclade that is phylogenetically closest to American B2, namely B4b1, has been found mainly in populations of southern China and Southeast Asia, especially Filipinos and Austronesian speakers of eastern Indonesia (approx. 8%) and the aborigines of Taiwan and Hainan (approx. 7%)"

If there is anything to these test results, they demonstrate a relationship between the original B4b1 inhabitants of mainland Southeast Asia and Native Americans carrying B2. There are texts describing the migration of these people from the Near East around the time of the tower in boats modeled after the ark of Noah. (source)

Edited by Rajah Manchou
  • Like 2

Another interesting thing about maternal haplogroup B4. It was found in samples taken from two skulls belonging to members of an extinct tribe in Brazil:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982214012743

The samples from deep in Brazil are Malagasy, from Madagascar and the Comoro Islands. These islands were settled by the Kumr who, according to 10th century texts, migrated from the Near East around the time of the tower in boats modeled after the ark of Noah. (source)

Did the Comoro people make it all the way to the Americas?