Sign in to follow this  

BYU pathway admits all RMs

I thought pathways was open to all, already.  🙄

• Like 1

I feel emotionally excited by the good the church can do.  The church is working to remove the causes of economic inequality in the world, 3Nephi 6:12

12 And the people began to be distinguished by ranks, according to their riches and their chances for learning; yea, some were ignorant because of their poverty, and others did receive great learning because of their riches.

Ghana Africa you can get a bachelor's degree for $8.25/credit hour or $990 for 4 year college degree.  Limited degree options sure but this is great.  

• Like 1

I'm a little confused by the announcement because I thought that everyone who wanted to get in to the Pathway program could get accepted as long as they agree to the Pathway requirements.  So, I'm not sure what the missionary pre-approval means.

In any case, I love this program!  Because of my calling at the time, I went to a meeting in which it was introduced at our local institute.  I've been a fan ever since.

FYI... you can help financially support the program directly, if you'd like, through LDS Philanthropies:  https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/byu-pathway

I would assume that tithing supports it as well.  And I know that many members make the program possible through missionary callings to support it.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I'm a little confused by the announcement because I thought that everyone who wanted to get in to the Pathway program could get accepted as long as they agree to the Pathway requirements.  So, I'm not sure what the missionary pre-approval means.

I read it as saying that all missionaries are pre-approved for admission into a special one-year program called "PathwayConnect," which will help them gear up for pursuing a career - either by starting a degree program through Pathways or some other way. 

I knew several guys on my mission that would have been helped by something like this. They really didn't know what they wanted to do in life, and many didn't even how to get started. Hopefully, it will help lots of young men and women get started on a path that will help them out in life. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Amulek said:

I read it as saying that all missionaries are pre-approved for admission into a special one-year program called "PathwayConnect," which will help them gear up for pursuing a career - either by starting a degree program through Pathways or some other way. 

I knew several guys on my mission that would have been helped by something like this. They really didn't know what they wanted to do in life, and many didn't even how to get started. Hopefully, it will help lots of young men and women get started on a path that will help them out in life. 

I guess I'm not familiar enough with Pathways because I thought Pathways already did that.

Can you help me understand how this is different than what it has been for the past few years? I'm not getting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I guess I'm not familiar enough with Pathways because I thought Pathways already did that.

Can you help me understand how this is different than what it has been for the past few years? I'm not getting it.

I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I gather "PathwayConnect" is what used to be called "Pathway" which used to be called "Academic Start" (before it was actually rolled out, at least). 

I'm honestly not certain what, if any, meaningful changes have been made between the "Pathway" program and "PathwayConnect." Perhaps it's just a re-branding. 

As I understand it though, PathwayConnect is a one-year jump start program to help prepare you for college. And if you take it, some of the credit hours will transfer to BYU-I should you decide to pursue a degree through the Pathway Worldwide program (they really should have called these things different names - it is kind of confusing). Additionally, completion allows you to pay a reduced price for any credit hours taken through the Pathway Worldwide program. 

Anyway, the jump start program has really taken off - so much so, that that the number of senior missionaries who serve as mentors and oversee the (required) weekly meetings have posed an obstacle for growth.

By pre-approving missionaries for admission, they are essentially guarantied a spot in the program should they want to participate. At least, that's what my takeaway is. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Amulek said:

I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I gather "PathwayConnect" is what used to be called "Pathway" which used to be called "Academic Start" (before it was actually rolled out, at least). 

I'm honestly not certain what, if any, meaningful changes have been made between the "Pathway" program and "PathwayConnect." Perhaps it's just a re-branding. 

As I understand it though, PathwayConnect is a one-year jump start program to help prepare you for college. And if you take it, some of the credit hours will transfer to BYU-I should you decide to pursue a degree through the Pathway Worldwide program (they really should have called these things different names - it is kind of confusing). Additionally, completion allows you to pay a reduced price for any credit hours taken through the Pathway Worldwide program. 

Anyway, the jump start program has really taken off - so much so, that that the number of senior missionaries who serve as mentors and oversee the (required) weekly meetings have posed an obstacle for growth.

By pre-approving missionaries for admission, they are essentially guarantied a spot in the program should they want to participate. At least, that's what my takeaway is. 

That suggests that they were turning folks away before- that is news to me. 

• Like 1

I think the real news is that the church has implemented the technology to now do virtual gatherings for the connect meetings and for teaching. This removes the need to always meet weekly at a church building or have missionary couples over see the meetings locally. 

I think this is just the first step to how the church will roll out virtual schools for high school students and much more. 

5 hours ago, Ragerunner said:

I think the real news is that the church has implemented the technology to now do virtual gatherings for the connect meetings and for teaching. This removes the need to always meet weekly at a church building or have missionary couples over see the meetings locally. 

I think this is just the first step to how the church will roll out virtual schools for high school students and much more. 

I think you are right... that piece hadn't occurred to me until the Church's tweet earlier today.

• Like 1