Sign in to follow this  
bsjkki

Bishopric confession

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I've been thinking of the "loud laughter" issue.  That one has always confused me as well.  I don't believe it means we are not ever supposed to laugh obviously, so I'm coming at it from the point of view of, what kind of laughing is o.k. and what kind isn't, in God's eyes?

I too, have considered the issue of loud laughter. After pondering about it, I came to these conclusions: 

I. When is laughter bad? I instantly thought it is probably bad when our laughter came from another person's weakness, wealth, clothes, looks, sounds, smell, etc.. This type of laughing at another's shame or condition props up our own superiority over them. This is simply then a pride issue. The type of pride President Benson would talk about. Not the type of pride President Uchtdorf spoke of (pleased) of seeing a loved one's succeeding, overcoming... This loud (bad) type of laughing over another brother or sister's failure, weakness, or something were they have no control of, is displeasing to the Lord.

II. If we take loud laughter in the context it is given in, in our sacred covenants, then we see Heavenly Father is clearly placing this pridely, we are superior, type of  loud laughter with other things that we should not do that displease Him. It is not in the context of other things that please Him, for example, it is in the context were things displease Him, similar to the stay chaste context (the violation of displeases Him). It is not in the context of the things we should do to please Him (e.g., pray always. The obeying of praying always, pleases him and we are blessed even more). Thus, it is not laughter itself, but laughter in a context that would displease our Father in Heaven.

III. Loud. Why the descriptor? I believe it comes back to the first point. Loud, means others will hear and of course that would be the point of loudness is just so others can hear. This prideful type of laughter props us up at the same time humiliating the target of our loud laughter

IV. I notice with the loud descriptor, Heavenly Father is not saying laughing is sinful, it is not. Laughing is a natural beautiful thing and is a sign of happiness. Only with the descriptor [loud] is laughter placed in the context we should not do it. To me, the decibel range we laugh in is not the issue, it is the loudness for others to overhear. To me, meaning the arrogant laughter that I am better than you, and that pleases me, and I want others to know I am better, that is when we should avoid all loud laughter.

Edited by Anijen
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Anijen said:

I too, have considered the issue of loud laughter. After pondering about it, I came to these conclusions: 

I. When is laughter bad? I instantly thought it is probably bad when our laughter came from another person's weakness, wealth, clothes, looks, sounds, smell, etc.. This type of laughing at another's shame or condition props up our own superiority over them. This is simply then a pride issue. The type of pride President Benson would talk about. Not the type of pride President Uchtdorf spoke of (pleased) of seeing a loved one's succeeding, overcoming... This loud (bad) type of laughing over another brother or sister's failure, weakness, or something were they have no control of, is displeasing to the Lord.

II. If we take loud laughter in the context it is given in, in our sacred covenants, then we see Heavenly Father is clearly placing this pridely, we are superior, type of  loud laughter with other things that we should not do that displease Him. It is not in the context of other things that please Him, for example, it is in the context were things displease Him, similar to the stay chaste context (the violation of displeases Him). It is not in the context of the things we should do to please Him (e.g., pray always. The obeying of praying always, pleases him and we are blessed even more). Thus, it is not laughter itself, but laughter in a context that would displease our Father in Heaven.

III. Loud. Why the descriptor? I believe it comes back to the first point. Loud, means others will hear and of course that would be the point of loudness is just so others can hear. This prideful type of laughter props us up at the same time humiliating the target of our loud laughter

IV. I notice with the loud descriptor, Heavenly Father is not saying laughing is sinful, it is not. Laughing is a natural beautiful thing and is a sign of happiness. Only with the descriptor [loud] is laughter placed in the context we should not do it. To me, the decibel range we laugh in is not the issue, it is the loudness for others to overhear. To me, meaning the arrogant laughter that I am better than you, and that pleases me, and I want others to know I am better, that is when we should avoid all loud laughter.

Some good thoughts.  I've always placed this in the context of laughter, as you say, at others weakness or laughter at things that are sacred.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SouthernMo said:

If they’re all subsets of 1A & 2A, then why have other covenants (M1 & M2)?

Perhaps because we couldn't be completely successful if we just looked at the global covenants, but by breaking it down into smaller bits, we can not feel like total failures, but rather progressing well in some areas while still struggling in others.  Being able to see progression in one area can give us hope in other areas.

Does anyone else get this? Nervous laughter? When you're nervous you laugh uncontrollaby? it's one thing I inherited from Mumsie, which is why at funerals and weddings and the like we typically don't sit together, otherwise we'd be asked to leave

• Like 2