Sign in to follow this  
MustardSeed

Contact lens woes

41 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I lived in So Cal growing up. Called dibs on a portion of the coast for my Celestial Mansion. Not sure if God honors dibs but I want to be covered just in case God does.

I was a San Bernardino girl... Go Berdoo Cardinals, class of 1958!!  (Oh my gosh... 1958... 😮)

GG

• Like 2

Yes, there is hope.

Putting contacts in was horrible for me. I tried and tried and tried. When I got them in I loved wearing them (except for reading). I loved that they didn't blow off the top if my head, get rained on, drop off when bending, get  smudges, become a temptation for little hands and how I looked. But putting them in was not good.

I watched different youtube videos, talked with friends who wore them, went back to the doctor etc. At one point I determined I would keep working on getting them in every day and not quit for two weeks. There were days it took me an hour to get them in and my eye was red and irritated through the process. After awhile I again loved them. But after 2 weeks I was no closer to getting it.

So on and off I would work on it and little by little I figured out various things that made it quicker.

Then about 2 years ago I talked with a friend about how I never wear them at home because I like to read and couldn't do it well with them in. I rarely wear my glasses at home and when I do it is constant on off with them and that just doesn't work with contacts, especially when they take so long to get in. 

She suggested wearing just one contact. I talked with my doctor and he saw no problem with it and it was perfectly legal if with the "good" contact eye and the bad non contact eye put me in legal vision.

It was awesome because now I cut the time in half...except it didn't.  I discovered the majority of the time the left eye was the one that gave me most of the problems. So when I wear them I always put in my right one and I could get it relatively quickly.

Then last year I had to get a new brand and fit. Wow! I could get this pair in first try 80% of the time - but now I couldn't get them out lol. 

So back again to youtube where there were all these tips and trucks that didn't work for me. So trial and error I found if I put in an eye drop first to make it float better and then instead of pinching it I take one finger in with the nail side to my eye to kind of lift the edge gently and a finger on my other hand to catch it then that works about 70% on the first try.

So my advice? Look for tips on youtube, try unusual, but safe possible methods and maybe switch out these contacts for a different kind.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 11:02 PM, Garden Girl said:

I was a San Bernardino girl... Go Berdoo Cardinals, class of 1958!!  (Oh my gosh... 1958... 😮)

GG

Thanks for making me feel young. Class of '97!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rain said:

Yes, there is hope.

Putting contacts in was horrible for me. I tried and tried and tried. When I got them in I loved wearing them (except for reading). I loved that they didn't blow off the top if my head, get rained on, drop off when bending, get  smudges, become a temptation for little hands and how I looked. But putting them in was not good.

I watched different youtube videos, talked with friends who wore them, went back to the doctor etc. At one point I determined I would keep working on getting them in every day and not quit for two weeks. There were days it took me an hour to get them in and my eye was red and irritated through the process. After awhile I again loved them. But after 2 weeks I was no closer to getting it.

So on and off I would work on it and little by little I figured out various things that made it quicker.

Then about 2 years ago I talked with a friend about how I never wear them at home because I like to read and couldn't do it well with them in. I rarely wear my glasses at home and when I do it is constant on off with them and that just doesn't work with contacts, especially when they take so long to get in. 

She suggested wearing just one contact. I talked with my doctor and he saw no problem with it and it was perfectly legal if with the "good" contact eye and the bad non contact eye put me in legal vision.

It was awesome because now I cut the time in half...except it didn't.  I discovered the majority of the time the left eye was the one that gave me most of the problems. So when I wear them I always put in my right one and I could get it relatively quickly.

Then last year I had to get a new brand and fit. Wow! I could get this pair in first try 80% of the time - but now I couldn't get them out lol. 

So back again to youtube where there were all these tips and trucks that didn't work for me. So trial and error I found if I put in an eye drop first to make it float better and then instead of pinching it I take one finger in with the nail side to my eye to kind of lift the edge gently and a finger on my other hand to catch it then that works about 70% on the first try.

So my advice? Look for tips on youtube, try unusual, but safe possible methods and maybe switch out these contacts for a different kind.

Thank you! Eye drops... I’ll try that.  I do have menopausal dry eyes....

7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Thanks for making me feel young. Class of '97!!!!

Your still a youngun! Class of 80 here. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Thank you! Eye drops... I’ll try that.  I do have menopausal dry eyes....

I had that for taking them out, but it reminded about when putting my harder pair in. When I got the lens on my finger I would put a drop inside it. That helped a lot. So maybe test putting it in the eye, on the lens or even both to see if it helps.  I also found that having a dry finger helped - so I pull it out with the finger on one hand and place it on a dry finger on the other hand. Basically this helped it stick to my eye and not my finger.  

Just make sure to use drops from contacts and not regular visine etc.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 5:18 PM, The Nehor said:

Shoot lasers into your eyes. One of the best things I ever did.

That made me laugh!

No laser will ever be fired into my eyes.  My brother had laser treatment (whatever they call it) and it worked out OK for him, and I've heard nothing but good outcomes for Lasik, or whatever, but I am an utter coward where it comes to my eyes.  I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old, and I guess they are a part of me now.  

I'll just wait for my resurrection to get 20/20 back.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 5:46 AM, Tacenda said:

Don't let GG fool you, she looks much younger than her age! I luckily was able to have breakfast when my husband and I drove the Oregon coast!

And she lives in a beautiful part of Oregon, too!  We drove through her town after the last solar eclipse and I've kind of had a hankering to move there.  England is great, but Oregon is wonderful -- the only bad thing about it is their state income tax.  My home state (Washington) doesn't have an income tax, thank goodness.

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Your still a youngun! Class of 80 here. 

Class of 69.  But I never graduated, due to moving to foreign countries.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

And she lives in a beautiful part of Oregon, too!  We drove through her town after the last solar eclipse and I've kind of had a hankering to move there.  England is great, but Oregon is wonderful -- the only bad thing about it is their state income tax.  My home state (Washington) doesn't have an income tax, thank goodness.

It was during our trip to Oregon that you were posting during your former wife's illness and then sadly, her passing. While on the trip my little dog was hit by a car and died and I had to get the news while on that trip. I've never cried so hard when losing an animal. My son was about to take him on a walk and didn't have the leash on and my little Biscuit ran across the street going after another dog much bigger than his two and half pound body. 

I can't wait to return and stay in our cute motel called "Moolack Shores" in Newport that looked like a "Bates Motel", but inside each room had a theme. We stayed in the "Antique Room", and it had journals for guests to write in that stayed there. And out on the deck we had a view of a lighthouse and the beautiful ocean, and below a private beach. All for such a great price, but maybe their secret is out and they may have raised the prices. 

In one of the journals I read, it had an entry that was written during the Desert Storm war in Iraq. :)

Edited by Tacenda

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

It was during our trip to Oregon that you were posting during your former wife's illness and then sadly, her passing. While on the trip my little dog was hit by a car and died and I had to get the news while on that trip. I've never cried so hard when losing an animal. My son was about to take him on a walk and didn't have the leash on and my little Biscuit ran across the street going after another dog much bigger than his two and half pound body. 

I can't wait to return and stay in our cute motel called "Moolack Shores" in Newport that looked like a "Bates Motel", but inside each room had a theme. We stayed in the "Antique Room", and it had journals for guests to write in that stayed there. And out on the deck we had a view of a lighthouse and the beautiful ocean, and below a private beach. All for such a great price, but maybe their secret is out and they may have raised the prices. 

In one of the journals I read, it had an entry that was written during the Desert Storm war in Iraq. :)

Thanks for the recommendation -- I shall endeavor to take Wendy to that motel if we ever manage to get back to that locale.

The sad story of your little dog is one of the reasons I have avoided (mostly unsuccessfully) having pets.  I'm more of a cat person, but our last cat simply vanished and we don't know what became of him; he was getting old and might not have been quick enough crossing a street, or a coyote got him.  No way to know.  When I first moved to the UK my wife had two cats, but not long thereafter one of them had to be euthanized. The last cat (named Toffie) is about 17 and I've grown to love him and his catty ways.  And of course he's been heading down that old road, too.  He might last another year or two.  I will cry when his time comes.  I'm so sorry your Biscuit had to go that way, and that you had to hear of it while away.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Thanks for the recommendation -- I shall endeavor to take Wendy to that motel if we ever manage to get back to that locale.

The sad story of your little dog is one of the reasons I have avoided (mostly unsuccessfully) having pets.  I'm more of a cat person, but our last cat simply vanished and we don't know what became of him; he was getting old and might not have been quick enough crossing a street, or a coyote got him.  No way to know.  When I first moved to the UK my wife had two cats, but not long thereafter one of them had to be euthanized. The last cat (named Toffie) is about 17 and I've grown to love him and his catty ways.  And of course he's been heading down that old road, too.  He might last another year or two.  I will cry when his time comes.  I'm so sorry your Biscuit had to go that way, and that you had to hear of it while away.  

Thanks Stargazer for your kind words. Just a warning, the Moolack Shores motel is no Hampton or Marriott as far as cleanliness. But feels more like visiting your grandparents home that are not as clean as they once were, haha. I actually cleaned around some glass fixtures while I was there. On the comments in the reviews many commented about this part but loved the rest. Recently I saw that they put up an ad for a cleaning person, so now hopefully it isn't the man that cleans them that owns the motel, I believe. I think it's a couple that do. The day we arrived the wife brought us a plate of her homemade goodies. My husband wouldn't eat them, but I did, lol. PS: not saying men don't clean well, but saw that it was the husband (I think that's who he was) cleaning the rooms.

Edited by Tacenda

16 hours ago, Stargazer said:

It is beautiful... but to live here is to be able to tolerate rainy and/or gray days... this is the Pacific Northwest and there's a reason the coast is so green and beautiful.  Today as I drove toward town, the road was lined with trees that were all leafed out in deep greens.  Gone was the stark look of winter, like almost overnight once it started... 

As far as taxes, yes we do have state income tax, but Oregon does not have a sales tax.  You can imagine how much we saved on the cost of building our retirement home here.

GG

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, Garden Girl said:

It is beautiful... but to live here is to be able to tolerate rainy and/or gray days... this is the Pacific Northwest and there's a reason the coast is so green and beautiful.  Today as I drove toward town, the road was lined with trees that were all leafed out in deep greens.  Gone was the stark look of winter, like almost overnight once it started... 

As far as taxes, yes we do have state income tax, but Oregon does not have a sales tax.  You can imagine how much we saved on the cost of building our retirement home here.

GG

Rain?  In the Pacific Northwest?  😄  Don't forget, I lived in Olympia for 35 years.  I've seen water falling from the skies.

• Like 1