Seriously No Politics ×

Contact lens woes

I can’t see.  It’s very frustrating as it came in pretty quickly with age.  I’ve always has 20/20.

so after two years of juggling readers, I decided to go with contacts.  

I went in to get trained and after two hours of trying to get them in and out, I left in tears with no contacts.  MUSTARD NEVER. CRIES. 

Twice they rolled back above my eyelid ,doc had to fish them out for me with a q tip.  He said that has never happened in his 20 years.  How awful is that, that I should set some kind of record? 

Is there any hope for me or shall is just be stuck with readers all over my houses for near AND  far sightedness? 

I had duel contacts forgot the name for both far and near, but you will get use to it. Maybe try a different kind as well, the doctor should have samples. Sometimes it can make all the difference. It took me some time to do it but well worth it!  I've since had lasik and regret it because my vision isn't as clear than when I wore contacts. And I have to close one eye usually when reading. Good luck though, you will conquer this, be brave! ;)

Trouble with putting them in is why I went to the 30 day ones (which I have worn successfully without problems for more than ten years for 60 days each time).  Taking them out and putting them in I only have to do 6 times a year (even if it takes me ten minutes each time).

Mustard...

Why does it have to be contacts?  I had readers until I needed bi-focals... I got tired of not being able to see clearly, so I gave in and admitted it was time for real glasses... how wonderful it is to have full vision... I got attractive frames, lenses that that darken outdoors, non-glare, etc.  I wear them on an nice chain around my neck so I can simply take them off, and I never lose them... Give in... get some glasses... there are nice styles available... 🙂

from the beach on a glorious, sunny afternoon... GG 

6 hours ago, rpn said:

Trouble with putting them in is why I went to the 30 day ones (which I have worn successfully without problems for more than ten years for 60 days each time).  Taking them out and putting them in I only have to do 6 times a year (even if it takes me ten minutes each time).

You keep your contacts in for two months? I thought all contacts dried out and you had to put them in solution every night? 

6 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Mustard...

Why does it have to be contacts?  I had readers until I needed bi-focals... I got tired of not being able to see clearly, so I gave in and admitted it was time for real glasses... how wonderful it is to have full vision... I got attractive frames, lenses that that darken outdoors, non-glare, etc.  I wear them on an nice chain around my neck so I can simply take them off, and I never lose them... Give in... get some glasses... there are nice styles available... 🙂

from the beach on a glorious, sunny afternoon... GG 

I’m afraid my attractiveness is very borderline.  Glasses put me over the edge into definitely not attractive.  My face does not lend itself well to frames of any type. :( 

9 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

You keep your contacts in for two months? I thought all contacts dried out and you had to put them in solution every night? 

Not to mention the extreme risk of infection. I wear 30 day contacts, and it does not mean you leave them in for 30 days straight. You still take them out every night to clean and soak, you just don’t have to switch to a fresh pair until 30 days. 

There are 30 day contacts, two-week contacts, daily contacts, etc., but they all come out at night. Indeed, my ophthalmologist chastised me recently for leaving mine in 12 or more hours each day. He said they shouldn’t be worn that many hours, but I don’t have any back-up glasses. 

17 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

The ones I have are the kind that you sleep in.   They are made to remain in (mine for 30 days) --- contrary to what was said above.  (As for the infection concern, which is a real one for sure,  I asked the dr once how it was more risky from an infection point of view to take them out  and put them in a separate container than it was to not touch them with my really hard to be sterilized fingers and palm, and he replied that he'd wondered that himself.

They are much softer than the ones that you put in and take out every day (meaning they have more water in them).   Different lens are approved for different time lengths.  None are approved in the US for longer than 30 days.   But I'm telling you that I have worn mine for many years now for longer than the approved 30 days.   If you follow drs orders, and your prescription needs fit one of the contacts that are allowed for 30 days, that is still a lot less often than every day.   Ten minutes every month is a lot easier to stomache than 10 minutes twice a day.

Edited by rpn
18 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I’m afraid my attractiveness is very borderline.  Glasses put me over the edge into definitely not attractive.  My face does not lend itself well to frames of any type. :( 

Well, wait till you get even older... I'm amazed how quickly changes can take place... I've got bags under my faded blue eyes (people used to comment regularly on my pretty blue eyes... haven't heard that in years)... Everything sags, and crepey skin is taking over...  Aaaaggghhh.... 

GG 😮

2 hours ago, rpn said:

The ones I have are the kind that you sleep in.   They are made to remain in (mine for 30 days) --- contrary to what was said above.  (As for the infection concern, which is a real one for sure,  I asked the dr once how it was more risky from an infection point of view to take them out  and put them in a separate container than it was to not touch them with my really hard to be sterilized fingers and palm, and he replied that he'd wondered that himself.

They are much softer than the ones that you put in and take out every day (meaning they have more water in them).   Different lens are approved for different time lengths.  None are approved in the US for longer than 30 days.   But I'm telling you that I have worn mine for many years now for longer than the approved 30 days.   If you follow drs orders, and your prescription needs fit one of the contacts that are allowed for 30 days, that is still a lot less often than every day.   Ten minutes every month is a lot easier to stomache than 10 minutes twice a day.

10 minutes to put in or take out contacts? I can’t imagine how anyone could take that long, unless they were wearing mittens. 

On 5/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, Garden Girl said:

Well, wait till you get even older... I'm amazed how quickly changes can take place... I've got bags under my faded blue eyes (people used to comment regularly on my pretty blue eyes... haven't heard that in years)... Everything sags, and crepey skin is taking over...  Aaaaggghhh.... 

GG 😮

The older I get the more physical resurrection seems like a fantastic idea. :) 

Edited by The Nehor
17 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

The older I get the more physical resurrection seems like a fantastic idea. :) 

Don't let GG fool you, she looks much younger than her age! I luckily was able to have breakfast when my husband and I drove the Oregon coast!

36 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Don't let GG fool you, she looks much younger than her age! I luckily was able to have breakfast when my husband and I drove the Oregon coast!

I am not as worried about my looks. I want to be able to ride waves again without the pain.

7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I am not as worried about my looks. I want to be able to ride waves again without the pain.

It was late when I commented about GG. I mean't to say we were with her, and just wanted to say how young she looked, just complimenting her after what she said about her aging. 

I don't know if you meant ride the waves literally or not, haha. And if you're in pain. If both, then I hope you get feeling better and if you're saying this as a metaphor, I hope you you find a wealth of health. Actually I don't know what I'm saying! Lack of sleep, but hope you have the best day Nehor!! :)

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

It was late when I commented about GG. I mean't to say we were with her, and just wanted to say how young she looked, just complimenting her after what she said about her aging. 

I don't know if you meant ride the waves literally or not, haha. And if you're in pain. If both, then I hope you get feeling better and if you're saying this as a metaphor, I hope you you find a wealth of health. Actually I don't know what I'm saying! Lack of sleep, but hope you have the best day Nehor!! :)

I meant it literally and no, I am not in pain but I am when I fall after riding a wave now plus I do not have the balance for it anymore. I generally bodysurf instead now. Still, looking forward to that 20 some odd year old perfected body.

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I meant it literally and no, I am not in pain but I am when I fall after riding a wave now plus I do not have the balance for it anymore. I generally bodysurf instead now. Still, looking forward to that 20 some odd year old perfected body.

I love the image of you enjoying the freedom of riding a wave ... surfing on the Oregon coast presents some challenges, mainly the water temps... our surfers have to wear wet suits.  Then there is the rocky terrain in many areas.  But, there is one thing Lincoln City is world famous for that happens every year some time in Nov to early Dec., and that is our Big Wave surfing competition that draws surfers from all over the world to the Nelscott Reef (about a half mile off shore).   There is a window when waves off the Reef during this time of year can range between 40 - 50 feet.  When the waves reach the right height the call goes out, and surfers have 48 hours to get here to compete. 

GG 

1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

I love the image of you enjoying the freedom of riding a wave ... surfing on the Oregon coast presents some challenges, mainly the water temps... our surfers have to wear wet suits.  Then there is the rocky terrain in many areas.  But, there is one thing Lincoln City is world famous for that happens every year some time in Nov to early Dec., and that is our Big Wave surfing competition that draws surfers from all over the world to the Nelscott Reef (about a half mile off shore).   There is a window when waves off the Reef during this time of year can range between 40 - 50 feet.  When the waves reach the right height the call goes out, and surfers have 48 hours to get here to compete. 

GG 

I was never good enough to compete in that. I was very amateur but I miss it some. It is all good. I have a week long stay at a beach house and I will probably get my thrill/batter my body with body surfing.

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I was never good enough to compete in that. I was very amateur but I miss it some. It is all good. I have a week long stay at a beach house and I will probably get my thrill/batter my body with body surfing.

Enjoy your week!!   Yes, it's all good...  I do love the beauty and wildness of the Oregon coast, but I grew up in So Cal and do miss the warmth and atmosphere of Cal beaches like Balboa, Corona del Mar, Doheny, and the surf culture... 

GG

23 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Enjoy your week!!   Yes, it's all good...  I do love the beauty and wildness of the Oregon coast, but I grew up in So Cal and do miss the warmth and atmosphere of Cal beaches like Balboa, Corona del Mar, Doheny, and the surf culture... 

GG

I lived in So Cal growing up. Called dibs on a portion of the coast for my Celestial Mansion. Not sure if God honors dibs but I want to be covered just in case God does.