Seriously No Politics ×

Introducing myself to the Forum

As suggested by my forum moniker, I am one who seeks answers to questions which have caused me confusion or simply don't make sense to me, in relation to that which I was taught in the first twenty-years of my life prior to leaving the Church.

I have devoted much time to my own search for truth, the musings of which simply cannot reconcile me with the belief that the LDS Church is for me.

I will be posing questions which are, to use one of the oft-used cliches of my Seminary years, stumbling-blocks in my understanding.

While I have no desire to be re-converted, I nevertheless am keen to hear the view of the Church in certain questions that I have.

Cheers.

If you want a more detailed discussion for your questions, you might want to wait until you have 25 posts and can start threads in the main forum...or do a search on older threads and use those to ask questions.  The Social Forum does not allow for debate, so it be more like Sunday School...no challenges allowed, only polite turning the conversation to another topic..  :)

Edited by Calm
8 hours ago, Serious Questions said:

As suggested by my forum moniker, I am one who seeks answers to questions which have caused me confusion or simply don't make sense to me, in relation to that which I was taught in the first twenty-years of my life prior to leaving the Church.

I have devoted much time to my own search for truth, the musings of which simply cannot reconcile me with the belief that the LDS Church is for me.

I will be posing questions which are, to use one of the oft-used cliches of my Seminary years, stumbling-blocks in my understanding.

While I have no desire to be re-converted, I nevertheless am keen to hear the view of the Church in certain questions that I have.

Cheers.

How would you describe your relationship with God?

Do you believe you’ve been successful in communion/communication with Deity?

Has your search for truth resulted in confidence on your part that you are receiving Divine direction?

I welcome you posting questions here and seeking “the view of the Church” (not that any of us speak on behalf of the Church) but invite you, in seeking truth, to take your questions to Deity, since we have the promise that God will impart His omniscient wisdom to all that ask with the requisite intent.

4 hours ago, Maidservant said:

Keep in mind, you won't hear that here.  You'll hear various levels of understanding, both from those who are and are not participating in the Church community; each of whom is an interesting character and coming from a unique place based on their own study and experience.  (I think I'm the woo woo one 😜.) If you want the view of the Church, go to lds.org or whatever it is now and read Ensign articles, General Conference talks, and the Gospel Topic essays.  You may also visit the FAIR wiki.

*bites tongue*😜

On 4/28/2019 at 12:54 AM, Serious Questions said:

................, I nevertheless am keen to hear the view of the Church in certain questions that I have..............

Many  of those on this board hold heterodox views, so (as some have already advised you) you may not find precisely what you are looking for.  Nevertheless, you may find your purview broadened.

2 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Many  of those on this board hold heterodox views, so (as some have already advised you) you may not find precisely what you are looking for.  Nevertheless, you may find your purview broadened.

I was a little horrified when Someone pointed out that I am one of the more orthodox members here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have responded.

I now see that it would be a pointless exercise for me to posit the questions I have as it would appear that answers would likely be conflicting due to the disparate understanding of the fundamentals of the faith which so many have 'in common'.

All the best to you all.

1 hour ago, Serious Questions said:

I now see that it would be a pointless exercise for me to posit the questions I have as it would appear that answers would likely be conflicting due to the disparate understanding of the fundamentals of the faith which so many have 'in common'.

All the best to you all.

So many times I have asked the hard questions on this board (struggled in my belief of the church and had a faith crisis) and the majority of time I have been treated well and given answers to go by. I didn't always accept them nor do I still, but there probably isn't a question that hasn't been asked. I dare ya! ;) *

On 5/13/2019 at 12:10 AM, Tacenda said:

So many times I have asked the hard questions on this board (struggled in my belief of the church and had a faith crisis) and the majority of time I have been treated well and given answers to go by. I didn't always accept them nor do I still, but there probably isn't a question that hasn't been asked. I dare ya! ;) *

Perhaps the difficult theological question: Could God microwave a burrito so hot that not even He could eat it?

On 5/13/2019 at 4:46 AM, Serious Questions said:

All the best to you all.

I don't wish to appear contentious, but it seems as if you thought this to be a place where you could engage TBMs ("True Blue Mormons") but found it was a place where you'd be just another "questioning" voice?  

Even so, I'm sorry you decided not to engage.  The spectrum of views in this forum is admittedly breathtaking, but one more voice would only improve matters.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:21 PM, The Nehor said:

I was a little horrified when Someone pointed out that I am one of the more orthodox members here.

Especially when your orthodoxy clashes with your progressivism.:snort: