Seriously No Politics ×

Why I've been posting so much

Well I, for one, appreciate your decision to spend some of your additional free time swimming in LDS waters.  I enjoy your perspective.  I have learned some things reading your posts.

I’m afraid I can’t offer any solutions to the quandary of standardized testing (and as one who attended both college and law school tuition free as the result of good scores on standardized tests, I’d feel a bit ungrateful if I were to be too critical of such tests), but I anticipate you may hear from some proponents of home schooling.

I look forward to continuing to read your posts and learning from you.

Godspeed to you.

12 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

Well I, for one, appreciate your decision to spend some of your additional free time swimming in LDS waters.  I enjoy your perspective.  I have learned some things reading your posts.

I’m afraid I can’t offer any solutions to the quandary of standardized testing (and as one who attended both college and law school tuition free as the result of good scores on standardized tests, I’d feel a bit ungrateful if I were to be too critical of such tests), but I anticipate you may hear from some proponents of home schooling.

I look forward to continuing to read your posts and learning from you.

Godspeed to you.

Thanks!

The kinds of standardized tests I'm talking about would have no impact on going to college or receiving scholarships -- colleges would never see the scores. They are not like the SAT or ACT or AP tests. Their primary purpose is to evaluate teachers.

I have no problem with the idea of a standardized test (I administer the SAT and ACT and teach AP students). My issue is that these additional state created and state mandated tests take up WAY too much time.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify. And great job going to law school tuition free!

1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

Thanks!

The kinds of standardized tests I'm talking about would have no impact on going to college or receiving scholarships -- colleges would never see the scores. They are not like the SAT or ACT or AP tests. Their primary purpose is to evaluate teachers.

I have no problem with the idea of a standardized test (I administer the SAT and ACT and teach AP students). My issue is that these additional state created and state mandated tests take up WAY too much time.

Anyways, I just wanted to clarify. And great job going to law school tuition free!

I understand the distinction.  I may be dating myself but the only standardized test I remember taking prior to high school was called something along the lines of the Stanford achievement test.  I trust that one is no longer administered.

My daughter teaches middle school and shares your distain for standardized tests. 😊

15 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

Hey friends,

I don't mean to make a thread about myself (but here I am doing it anyway, ha) but I do have a full-time job as a high school teacher, as some of you know, and you may wonder how I am spending so much time during the day here. No, I haven't lost my job. No, I'm not ignoring my students. We have entered standardized testing time, which lasts for the months of April and May. So, while my students are laboring at their computers, I've been hanging out here. We spend so much time testing that I have everything finished for work plus some so free time abounds.

If you can believe it, my teaching time for each class has been 1 60 minute period per week. The other times are spent testing on the computer. Next week I will see each class only once (they are testing for math and I teach English). The week following is a return (kinda) to normality, and then the following weeks are back to testing again: state mandated finals and AP exams. And then school ends.

So, the thread about my posting so much is also a rant thread about the ridiculousness of the amount of mandated standardized tests the kids must take. School really ends for us the last week of March since April and May really have no teaching time left.

We just elected a new governor and legislators who have vowed to change all this. We'll see where it goes.

Anyways, it's been nice hanging out in internet Mormondom lately :) 

Those tests are ridiculous, especially for students with anxiety. I always got bad headaches in the middle of them and couldn't focus.