Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
3DOP

The good ol' days. People gone.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

Mudcat hasn’t posted in a very long time.  I  think he is Baptist or EV (or both?) and married to an active member of the Church?

I think you are right Okrahomer...I had forgotten...I think he is Baptist/EV married to an LDS lady. I bet we would have heard if he had followed her in to the church!

That reminds me of another name. ChristKnight. Catholic, then LDS, then Catholic again. Also saemo...LDS to Catholic. I irritated her though because I thought her arguments against the Restoration were weak. That's how I saw it anyway. My only argument against a Restoration for all these years is my conviction that there is no apostasy. She, like most former LDS, tended to emphasize alleged LDS problems. Maybe she was right, but I didn't care, I would always try to think of ways to defend the LDS side against what she would propose. I have almost always preferred to move the debate to allow me to play defense. She said goodbye (disgusted with me I think) one day...and I haven't seen her since...I fear that her fellow Catholic was more of a nemesis to her than most of you all. I'd be glad to see her again though.

Rory

Edited by 3DOP
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Calm said:

See his interests under his name.

Cal...I hadn't looked in a while. They have recently limited the number of interests one is allowed to have! Among those keen interests that have been eliminated are "merging", "spiders", "lava", "stomach acid", "Olivia deHavilland", and "Michaelangelo". I made up that list years ago and have so many more. I don't know how anybody can fail to have hundreds and thousands of interests. My silly list was "stream of consciousness", but I always enjoyed seeing it..."bone" is another interest that they threw out. I am not happy about being so much less full of interests. Heh.

Few of those "interests" come up here...thankfully(?), although somebody asked about the rise of monasticism a few months ago...that was good. It was in January right when we were approaching our annual remembrances of St. Paul the Hermit, and Antony, the first abbot. I thought of commenting on Kenngo's thread, but refrained. One has to see the religious life as a higher calling if it is going to be comparable to Catholic monastics. It needs to be sacrifice. It needs to acknowledge the goodness, and wonder, and beauty of married life, and possibility of married life, and offer it all up to God for a promise of something better. It takes a lot of faith, and no one can just decide on their own to be a religious. You remember my old avatar with my son in cassock. He was told that he didn't have a vocation to the priesthood. I am sure his spiritual director was right. He is now happily married. I don't think LDS are in a position to elevate consecrated celibacy above marriage as Catholics would be, and that would not be attractive for gaining fellow religious. It could not work. The religious life, the monastery, the convent, and the priesthood, are all for people who could marry, who would like to marry, but who choose to sacrifice that great good for a higher call. It certainly isn't supposed to be for people who are not drawn to being married to someone of the opposite sex. (I know that is not Kenngo.) If you are not drawn to married life with someone of the opposite sex, consecrated celibacy cannot be a sacrifice. It loses its meaning. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, 3DOP said:

Tacenda, Hi.

The context of your quote (for others) about sentiment regards my opinion that there was livelier, more interesting discussion in the past. That's just me. I don't want to try to discuss subjects that interest me with people who are bored with those subjects. Besides, why should I repeat in 2019, what you can find the archives? I didn't mean to criticise today as much as I meant to express my satisfaction for yesterday.   

No problem, I see that we get those threads over and over again as well. I'm just curious what types of discussions you and others like. Hate to be the reason for people to leave the board as well. :)

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, 3DOP said:

Also saemo...LDS to Catholic. I irritated her though because I thought her arguments against the Restoration were weak. That's how I saw it anyway. My only argument against a Restoration for all these years is my conviction that there is no apostasy. She, like most former LDS, tended to emphasize alleged LDS problems. Maybe she was right, but I didn't care, I would always try to think of ways to defend the LDS side against what she would propose. I have almost always preferred to move the debate to allow me to play defense. She said goodbye (disgusted with me I think) one day...and I haven't seen her since...I fear that her fellow Catholic was more of a nemesis to her than most of you all. I'd be glad to see her again though.

Yes, I remember her. I think she was last active poster who was Catholic besides us (I know there are Catholic lurkers who post every now and then).

Share this post


Link to post

I haven’t been around long and I rarely post but I’m always on here reading all of your comments. While I dont know many that are “gone”, there are a few I’d miss if they were....I appreciate the honesty of Duncan, the wisdom of Bluebell, the compassion of Happy Jack Wagon and the humor and frankness of The Nehor. These are just a few but I appreciate you all. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/25/2019 at 1:52 PM, 3DOP said:

I think you are right Okrahomer...I had forgotten...I think he is Baptist/EV married to an LDS lady. I bet we would have heard if he had followed her in to the church!

That reminds me of another name. ChristKnight. Catholic, then LDS, then Catholic again. Also saemo...LDS to Catholic. I irritated her though because I thought her arguments against the Restoration were weak. That's how I saw it anyway. My only argument against a Restoration for all these years is my conviction that there is no apostasy. She, like most former LDS, tended to emphasize alleged LDS problems. Maybe she was right, but I didn't care, I would always try to think of ways to defend the LDS side against what she would propose. I have almost always preferred to move the debate to allow me to play defense. She said goodbye (disgusted with me I think) one day...and I haven't seen her since...I fear that her fellow Catholic was more of a nemesis to her than most of you all. I'd be glad to see her again though.

Rory

You have such a respectful and kind way of posting, that it's difficult to see how anyone would ever get very irritated with you.  Unfortunately, I feel the  general "tone" of dialogue--not just here, but everywhere--has become much less civil than it once was.  That probably makes me sound like a fogey.  I may be a fogey, but I don't think I'm wrong about this.  I suspect incivility plays a big part in why some folks stop participating here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was trying to find some old posts of mine, and didn't find what I wanted, but saw a couple of old names that I have fondness for. ERayR. Anybody know about him? Also, flyonthewall. I haven't seen either for a long time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

I was trying to find some old posts of mine, and didn't find what I wanted, but saw a couple of old names that I have fondness for. ERayR. Anybody know about him? Also, flyonthewall. I haven't seen either for a long time.

I sure do remember ERayR! I wonder where he is as well! Hope doing well and living life!

Share this post


Link to post

Hey cal...since you're looking in here I want to thank you for finding those baptism for the dead discussions. Much appreciated. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I live to serve.  :)

(Slightly altered to avoid being a Soprano reference since I never watched the show and don't know if I want to make a Soprano reference)

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Whatever happened to the brother of color that used to post here? He was rather prolific in his post. I'm sorry I can't remember his handle. 

Edited to add; there may be other persons of color here so I hope I didn't offend anybody but this cat let us know where it was at.

 

 

 

 

Edited by rodheadlee

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/28/2019 at 6:53 PM, Tacenda said:

I sure do remember ERayR! I wonder where he is as well! Hope doing well and living life!

We stopped and had breakfast with ErayR about 3years ago. I haven't heard from him since. I wonder if it was something I said 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Whatever happened to the brother of color that used to post here? He was rather prolific in his post. I'm sorry I can't remember his handle. 

Edited to add; there may be other persons of color here so I hope I didn't offend anybody but this cat let us know where it was at.

 

 

 

 

Not sure whom you're referring to, but if he's the one I think you mean, he and his wife left the Church because they didn't like that the teachings of President Benson were going to be the annual lesson manual for Priesthood and Relief Society.  I gathered this was because they considered him a racist.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Not sure whom you're referring to, but if he's the one I think you mean, he and his wife left the Church because they didn't like that the teachings of President Benson were going to be the annual lesson manual for Priesthood and Relief Society.  I gathered this was because they considered him a racist.

Yes that's who I was talking about. I was just curious how they were doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Yes that's who I was talking about. I was just curious how they were doing.

I just went down memory lane and went over my more than 600 posts skipping around and picked out several people that aren't active on the board. The one name that I think is who you're talking about is, Mormonnewb. Not very long ago, I listened to him on a podcast, and he is out of the church now. But for the life of me, cannot remember his real name. 

These are some that are from as far back as 2012:

selek1, kerryshirts, casteinman, rob bowman, wayfarer, canard78,  tyler90az, ellenmaksoud, Ahab, MormonMason, Teddyaware, Stone holm, videogamejunkie, buzzard, savedbygrace, mormonnewb, bcuzbcuz, buckeye, Ahab

ETA: Just found this as well...http://www.mormondialogue.org/profile/19461-mormonnewb/content/

http://www.mormondialogue.org/profile/19461-mormonnewb/content/?type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1  Maybe he mentions his real name in here somewhere.

Edited by Tacenda

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you to Tacinda. I do believe that is his name. I'm not very good at doing searches so I didn't know how to do it. There are several names on that list that I recall and miss them.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Thank you to Tacinda. I do believe that is his name. I'm not very good at doing searches so I didn't know how to do it. There are several names on that list that I recall and miss them.

You're welcome! Tells you how much time I have on my hands, or actually I need to do so much and don't want to, lol!

Edited by Tacenda

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2019 at 11:44 AM, Tacenda said:

I just went down memory lane and went over my more than 600 posts skipping around and picked out several people that aren't active on the board. The one name that I think is who you're talking about is, Mormonnewb. Not very long ago, I listened to him on a podcast, and he is out of the church now. But for the life of me, cannot remember his real name. 

These are some that are from as far back as 2012:

selek1, kerryshirts, casteinman, rob bowman, wayfarer, canard78,  tyler90az, ellenmaksoud, Ahab, MormonMason, Teddyaware, Stone holm, videogamejunkie, buzzard, savedbygrace, mormonnewb, bcuzbcuz, buckeye, Ahab

ETA: Just found this as well...http://www.mormondialogue.org/profile/19461-mormonnewb/content/

http://www.mormondialogue.org/profile/19461-mormonnewb/content/?type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1  Maybe he mentions his real name in here somewhere.

Tacenda, hi.

Does anyone remember if these persons announced their departures?

MormonNewb was prominent for a while, I am guessing, four or five years ago. 

Ahab was prolific. He seemed like a fixture around here, like another who is now gone, Zakuska.

I thought Teddyaware got in to trouble with the powers that be. (That is not a criticism, another of my favorites, Pahoran, was I think, removed from the premises).

If our current Bobbyaware is unrelated to Teddyaware through marriage or blood, he/she certainly seems to exhibit many of the same ideas and values as Teddy, which I appreciated.

Hey...I thought of another from way back...jskains? 

And what about thesometimesaint? I think he was a little frail physically...does anybody know about him?

Edited by 3DOP
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 3DOP said:

Tacenda, hi.

Does anyone remember if these persons announced their departures?

MormonNewb was prominent for a while, I am guessing, four or five years ago. 

Ahab was prolific. He seemed like a fixture around here, like another who is now gone, Zakuska.

I thought Teddyaware got in to trouble with the powers that be. (That is not a criticism, another of my favorites, Pahoran, was I think, removed from the premises).

If our current Bobbyaware is unrelated to Teddyaware through marriage or blood, he/she certainly seems to exhibit many of the same ideas and values as Teddy, which I appreciated.

Hey...I thought of another from way back...jskains? 

And what about thesometimesaint? I think he was a little frail physically...does anybody know about him?

Hi 3DOP!

I just noticed I said I looked through 600 posts, it was really 600 pages of posts!

I kept thinking the same thing about Teddyware and Bobbyaware, even wondering if it is husband and wife. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Wade Englund, where have you gone?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I miss Jeremy Orb Smith, Selek, Will Schryver, Wade Englund, Volgadon, ERayR, Halconero, Gillebre, Rob Bowman, Five Solas, LeSellers and AlterSteve.

ETA: I dated Saint Sinner for a short time. We had a rough start on this board. IIRC, he married a man with an Orthodox background. I hope is doing well. 

Edited by Valentinus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Valentinus said:

I miss Jeremy Orb Smith, Selek, Will Schryver, Wade Englund, Volgadon, ERayR, Halconero, Gillebre, Rob Bowman, Five Solas, LeSellers and AlterSteve.

ETA: I dated Saint Sinner for a short time. We had a rough start on this board. IIRC, he married a man with an Orthodox background. I hope is doing well. 

I miss Volgadon... my late sister loved his posts... she kept the sabbath from Fri sundown to Sat sundown and followed the Jewish calendar for many things... though inactive LDS she still was Christian (Messianic), and still held with most of our doctrine... we used to have wonderful discussions...

GG
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I also miss Uncle Dale... does anyone know if he is all right?  I know he had health issues, but not how serious... 

GG

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

I also miss Uncle Dale... does anyone know if he is all right?  I know he had health issues, but not how serious... 

GG

I can't find anything from him online for years, think the last was in 2013.  However, whitepages still has him listed living in Hawaii.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Calm said:

I can't find anything from him online for years, think the last was in 2013.  However, whitepages still has him listed living in Hawaii.

Thanks for checking, Calm...

GG

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...