Seriously No Politics ×

Church announcing details of SL Temple, Temple Square renovations

2 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

The walls around Temple Square are coming down—or at least a big portion of the walls along North Temple and South Temple.  It will make it possible to see the Temple from both directions.  It should help Temple Square feel much more inviting and less fortress-like.

I like the feeling of leaving the world behind.  That's part of the symbolism of the Salt Lake Temple as well.

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

Well, this confirms one thing: the Second Coming won't occur before December 2023!

Or not.  Depends on whether God approves of the renovation.  😋

One wrong move on his house and it could trigger the apocalypse.

3 hours ago, webbles said:

The article quotes someone as saying this:

"We want them to think of Salt Lake just as easily as they think of Jerusalem or the Vatican as a place where Christianity really has its heart," Bishop Davies said.

I don't mean to be the party pooper, but that ain't gonna happen. Renovation and remodeling isn't going to make someone think of Salt Lake City as a heart of Christianity. Most people don't even think you're Christian to begin with. The Vatican is thought of as a heart of Christianity because it is the home of the largest Christian denomination (1.3 billion members) and the longest functioning international institution (the papacy). Jerusalem, because, yeah. But Salt Lake City?

I'm definitely interested in the open house. I'd love to get a tour. Do you think they will offer tours of the whole building? The assembly halls, presidency meeting chambers, etc?

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Well, this confirms one thing: the Second Coming won't occur before December 2023!

That’s funny, the exact same thought crossed my mind.  I almost posted - “the good news is that I have at least 4 more years to repent in preparation for the second coming.” - right before reading your post.  

5 hours ago, bluebell said:

I used to live in the Billings MT temple district (1 1/2 hours away from the temple) and it was nothing like going to the temple here.  It was rarely busy, and typically only ever so on Saturdays.  When we were in the Bismarck ND temple district you could pretty much have the run of the place whenever you wanted.  The only place I’ve ever had a similar experience with temple business like Utah was in Idaho.

It takes about 25 minutes to get to the Bountiful temple from where I live but if you go at the right time of day it’s not usually worse than that, thankfully. 

But I'm very thankful to live somewhere where the temple is close. 😊

I remember having to schedule a time to go to the Spokane temple, so there was at least a worker there. Don't show up on a Thursday, or Tuesday or they go into panic mode looking for someone.

3 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

The article quotes someone as saying this:

I don't mean to be the party pooper, but that ain't gonna happen. Renovation and remodeling isn't going to make someone think of Salt Lake City as a heart of Christianity. Most people don't even think you're Christian to begin with. The Vatican is thought of as a heart of Christianity because it is the home of the largest Christian denomination (1.3 billion members) and the longest functioning international institution (the papacy). Jerusalem, because, yeah. But Salt Lake City?

I'm definitely interested in the open house. I'd love to get a tour. Do you think they will offer tours of the whole building? The assembly halls, presidency meeting chambers, etc?

It’s an intriguing thought. When I think of the history that has occurred therein, I hope they don’t alter the interior too much. 

17 hours ago, ksfisher said:

I find I can pay attention to a person more than a movie.

I'm the exact opposite. I love the immersiveness of multimedia.

In other news, I officiated one of the endowment sessions this morning, and we had to set up an extra chair. Always love that!

12 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

I like the feeling of leaving the world behind.  That's part of the symbolism of the Salt Lake Temple as well.

Yes.  I agree with you.  But I also appreciate the symbolism of the Temple as a beacon of light and righteousness—visible to anyone in the world with “eyes to see.” 

9 hours ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Does anyone know where the Q15 will meet while it's being renovated? Don't they meet weekly in the temple?

I believe one of the brethren indicated (during the televised news conference) that they’d be meeting in a designated area of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.  My wife and I served a Church Hosting mission at the JSMB several years ago, and were aware of an area on the east side of the top floor of the building that was reserved for regular general authority meetings and was off limits to our tours.  Perhaps they’ll utilize that space, or maybe they’ll meet in some other area of the building.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, JLHPROF said:

That pleases me.  I would have been sad to see the historic building filled with movie screens instead.  Live actors provide something special.

Is Salt Lake the only one left using actors?

No, Manti.

14 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

I believe one of the brethren indicated (during the televised news conference) that they’d be meeting in a designated area of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.  My wife and I served a Church Hosting mission at the JSMB several years ago, and were aware of an area on the east side of the top floor of the building that was reserved for regular general authority meetings and was off limits to our tours.  Perhaps they’ll utilize that space, or maybe they’ll meet in some other area of the building.

If it doesn’t have to be a temple, they may as well meet in the Church Administration Building (the older one, not the mid-rise Church Office Building). I’ve been shown the interior in a private tour, and there is ample meeting accommodation. Besides, the Brethren have their offices in there. If they don’t have to meet in a temple, it makes no sense to go elsewhere. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
50 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If it doesn’t have to be a temple, they may as well meet in the Church Administration Building (the older one, not the mid-rise Church Office Building). I’ve been shown the interior in a private tour, and there is ample meeting accommodation. Besides, the Brethren have their offices in there. If they don’t have to meet in a temple, it makes no sense to go elsewhere. 

That’s true.  Did I misunderstand that part of the news conference?

On 4/19/2019 at 8:26 PM, MiserereNobis said:

I have been wondering where the First Presidency and Twelve will meet each week while the SLC Temple is undergoing renovation.  There are other temples in the SL Valley, but that could be an inconvenience.  Of course, they could simply meet in the LDS HQ bldg.  Just wondering.

ETA:  I see that Okrahomer and Scott have already addressed that.  Still, there are occasions when they feel they must meet under holier circumstances.  What then?

Edited by Robert F. Smith
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I just watched the news conference again.  At the 32 minute: 50 second mark, Elder Wilson mentions that administrative meetings Church leaders currently hold in the Temple will then be held in “designated areas of the JSMB.”  I assumed he was referring to the weekly meeting of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve.  But perhaps he is referring to some other meeting.

21 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

I just watched the news conference again.  At the 32 minute: 50 second mark, Elder Wilson mentions that administrative meetings Church leaders currently hold in the Temple will then be held in “designated areas of the JSMB.”  I assumed he was referring to the weekly meeting of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve.  But perhaps he is referring to some other meeting.

It appears you are right. 

Maybe the meeting space in the CAB is not as commodious as I remembered it being. 

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I have been wondering where the First Presidency and Twelve will meet each week while the SLC Temple is undergoing renovation.  There are other temples in the SL Valley, but that could be an inconvenience.  Of course, they could simply meet in the LDS HQ bldg.  Just wondering.

ETA:  I see that Okrahomer and Scott have already addressed that.  Still, there are occasions when they feel they must meet under holier circumstances.  What then?

There are “Assembly Rooms” (with the pulpits in each end) in temples other than the Salt Lake Temple. I don’t recall just now whether any of the other so-called “pioneer temples” in Utah have them. 

Does anyone know if the Salt Lake Temple will be re-dedicated? I know they are having an open house but I also know that our local Temple has had several renos done over the last 20 years and they didn't rededicate it

45 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Does anyone know if the Salt Lake Temple will be re-dedicated? I know they are having an open house but I also know that our local Temple has had several renos done over the last 20 years and they didn't rededicate it

When it is so extensive that they hold a public open house it is routine that they have a rededication. I would be surprised if they didn’t. I expect this one will be an especially grand event. 

10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

There are “Assembly Rooms” (with the pulpits in each end) in temples other than the Salt Lake Temple. I don’t recall just now whether any of the other so-called “pioneer temples” in Utah have them. 

The St. George temple has an Assembly Room.  It is above the floor where all the sealing rooms are.  Unfortunately, no one can visit it because it is not safe.  I hope that with the renovations done, they'll make it usable again.

And it appears that all of the "pioneer temples" have assembly halls.  This blog post (http://thetrumpetstone.blogspot.com/2010/11/lds-temple-assembly-halls.html) shows pictures from St. George, Manti, and Logan.