Seriously No Politics ×

I'm considering entering the equivalent of an order of monks in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  However, as no such order exists currently outside of full-time missionary service, I'll need some advice on how to go about starting the order.  Perhaps our Catholic brethren, who have a much stronger and lengthier tradition of monkhood, can offer such advice?  Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm considering entering the equivalent of an order of monks in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  However, as no such order exists currently outside of full-time missionary service, I'll need some advice on how to go about starting the order.  Perhaps our Catholic brethren, who have a much stronger and lengthier tradition of monkhood, can offer such advice?  Thanks in advance.

If it’s the contemplative life you are seeking, you could perhaps begin a steady practice of centering prayer or meditation. There are lots of great resources online to get you started. 

13 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Step One: Find someone rich to sponsor you and buy a monastery or whatever.

Step Two: Profit.

Step Three: Get excommunicated.

So what would this LDS monastic order look like?

- you might be able to acquire a no longer used meeting house (from consolidation of wards) to use for your abbey

- no lifelong vow of chastity - only chaste until marry - and have to marry

- how would tithing work - make sure the local bishop knows how to accept vegetables and chicken eggs

- wear original full-body temple garments (counts for both ol´timey garb and sacred clothing)

- service mission activities to the local community, unless going hermitic??? (don´t know if that would be allowed)

- whose and what writings would you read and meditate on besides the Standard Works: Jesus the Christ, Doctrines of Salvation, The Articles of Faith, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Power to Become, The Great Apostasy, Lectures on Faith, Mormon Doctrine, Miracle of Forgiveness, etc.?

- would you make your own monastic treatise for daily reading?

- what, if any, asceticism would be involved? - no funeral potatoes, chocolate, or frogeye salad? no Battlestar Galactica, no Thanksgiving football games?

-Would beards be allowed or even required?

Well, to be a monk you need an aesthetic lifestyle, and I know just the place to pursue aestheticism: 

image.jpeg.2223bb40479ea6345a603c098bc1fb8f.jpeg

The Dream Mine is a place of prophecy, and was to support the Saints just before the second coming. You are apparently the one to make that prophecy come true, by making it a place to support your monastery. There are still 7000 shareholders which have been waiting for this day!

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/south/salem/utah-s-dream-mine-still-has-thousands-of-stockholders-supporters/article_baa1e8b6-79c0-5755-ab0b-ee5c74aff5d4.html

38 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

This. Being a temple worker is as close as you get in our faith.

We have some who work "full time" - some two shifts a day- and live in the temple patron apartments.

I always thought I would like to do that if I was in the position to do so, or had to.  But I am blessed with a family and other callings outside the temple.

I know one guy without a family who actually works security for the temple as an employee and then volunteers as an ordinance worker after his shift is over.  He is there nearly every hour the temple is open and many on his security job when it is not.

There are also service missions which are much like "jobs" though unpaid.  The hours are similar etc, working or managing DI or canneries etc, or Bishop's Storehouses

I know one retired couple who does this as a service mission and then returns home every evening, and then "goes to work" the next day, and of course they are not being paid for their service

Monks are provided with food and lodging while all these brothers and sisters are not.  They do it voluntarily out of their own pockets for the love of God.

Not many members of other churches would do that, I think.

Where much is given, much is expected.

Lecture 6:7: "A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things, never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation".

On the other hand, imagine another faith producing enough certainty in the minds of its members that some, given the opportunity, would not only spend so much time on church work, but also pay for the opportunity by supporting themselves while doing so.

That is the difference.

1 hour ago, Wade Englund said:

Is that because you already have the right hairdo? ;)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Good point.  Come to think of it, I do, don't I?  ;)

3 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

What type of monk do you want to be.

i grow up in the Jesuit order. They focus on education and living a Christ centered life.

I don't know enough about the different orders to answer that question intelligently.  I imagine that some orders are given chiefly to prayer, meditation, and study, others to service, and so on.  Feel free to enlighten me. :)

4 hours ago, Joshua Valentine said:

... - no lifelong vow of chastity - only chaste until marry - and have to marry ...

Actually, at this point, it's looking as though my "vow of chastity" is going to be life-long. :o:shok::blink:

:D:rofl::D

5 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

I was about to explain carefully what to do, but then remembered my vow of silence.

:D:rofl::D

7 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't know enough about the different orders to answer that question intelligently.  I imagine that some orders are given chiefly to prayer, meditation, and study, others to service, and so on.  Feel free to enlighten me. :)

I am sure Doc will come back on this one but let me tell you the Jesuits are one TOUGH order intellectually.

They are known as the "lawyers" and intellectuals of the RC church.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Jesuits

The order has been regarded by many as the principal agent of the Counter-Reformationand was later a leading force in modernizing the church.

Looking for Catholic apologists extraordinaire? These are your boys! ;)

Edited by mfbukowski
16 minutes ago, Calm said:

Grew up " in" or "around" (as in observing them)?

My great uncles are Jesuit and before I joined the lds church I was in the process of joining the order as well.

20 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

What are your goals.

then I can answer your question better.

4 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

My great uncles are Jesuit and before I joined the lds church I was in the process of joining the order as well.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this.

40 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

You must have a fascinating conversion story.  I wouldn't mind hearing it.  :)

1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I'm with you there, mate.

We used to have a brother living in Indonesia who was baptised very late in life (around 70) in Australia. He was a raging atheist before his conversion, and he loved to tell people about how God finally got through to him. After he was baptised, he had a burning desire to serve a mission, but his wife had passed, so he didn't qualify. That didn't sit well with him, and then one day he realised he didn't need a badge to serve a mission.

So he sold his home, his car, his golf clubs, etc., and moved to one of the more remote islands in Indonesia. His goal was to establish a branch there. It never happened, but he sure did good. He lived simply as a boarder with a family in the village and did whatever he could just to help. He used his money to do things like pay for medical procedures (which required travel to Java). And always he shared the Book of Mormon and his testimony.

I've decided that if I'm still single when I retire, I'll try to do somethng similar.

I really admire his sacrifice but giving up his golf clubs?

Now that is true devotion!  ;)