Seriously No Politics ×

15 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

It's crumbling anyway.  Let it burn down, like Nauvoo Temple, then rebuild it with modern engineering standards in replica form, the way we rebuilt Nauvoo Temple.

It was being renovated because of those problems. Unfortunately there are lots of incredible items of historical significance in there that are going to be lost including (if I am not misremembering) some windows that have been there since nearly the original construction.

On the plus side this may have been the chance the Huguenots were waiting for to rise again!

Edited by The Nehor
15 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

Today, in what may be the latest in a spike of anti-Christian fervor, the famous Notre Dame Cathedral of Paris burned. This fire so far is being labeled an accident, but suspiciously started right after the Cathedral closed to visitors for the day. This year there has been a sudden rash of desecrations and destructive activities especially at Catholic Churches in France. https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800  Although I am sometimes critical of various aspects of Catholic belief, I hold various Catholics as friends, and want them to know that I stand united with them against the perpetrators of such acts, and hope that they are found and made accountable. This apparent spike in either anti-religious or anti-Christian sentiment is troubling, and I do hope that all Christians will stand unitedly in condemnation of it, and wish to extend my sincerest sympathies to Catholics for what they must be feeling.

Wow, well-said my friend. 

29 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

This fire so far is being labeled an accident, but suspiciously started right after the Cathedral closed to visitors for the day.

Wouldn't you also expect this to be the time of day when renovation work, which was underway, would most likely be performed (i.e., after visiting hours)? 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your general sentiment. If this genuinely was the result of individuals attempting to desecrate a religious site, then I hope those individuals are caught and brought to justice. 

However, we should be cautious about rushing to judgement. 

3 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

I came home to hear the news. It struck me like a blow in the stomach. Reportedly, there have been thumbs up tweets from the Muslim community. The event grieves me more deeply than I might have expected.  I hope it wasn't arson.

There will always be those who are incapable of empathy for those they disagree with.  Thankfully, I don't believe they are the majority.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Truman O. Angell inspired or at least visited Notre Dame cathedral in the mid 1850's when he was sent by Pres. Young to figure out the architecture for the Salt Lake Temple?

1 hour ago, RevTestament said:

Today, in what may be the latest in a spike of anti-Christian fervor, the famous Notre Dame Cathedral of Paris burned. This fire so far is being labeled an accident, but suspiciously started right after the Cathedral closed to visitors for the day. This year there has been a sudden rash of desecrations and destructive activities especially at Catholic Churches in France. https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800  Although I am sometimes critical of various aspects of Catholic belief, I hold various Catholics as friends, and want them to know that I stand united with them against the perpetrators of such acts, and hope that they are found and made accountable. This apparent spike in either anti-religious or anti-Christian sentiment is troubling, and I do hope that all Christians will stand unitedly in condemnation of it, and wish to extend my sincerest sympathies to Catholics for what they must be feeling.

Yeah  ...

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It was being renovated because of those problems. Unfortunately there are lots of incredible items of historical significance in there that are going to be lost including (if I am not misremembering) some windows that have been there since nearly the original construction.

On the plus side this may have been the chance the Huguenots were waiting for to rise again!

According to a news report:
"Initial reports in the French press suggested that many of those pieces had already been removed last week during the renovations, and Finot said that the cathedral’s collection of relics and other sacred items, kept in the sacristry, were likely unharmed. “Normally there is no risk of things being burned,”

4 minutes ago, JAHS said:

According to a news report:
"Initial reports in the French press suggested that many of those pieces had already been removed last week during the renovations, and Finot said that the cathedral’s collection of relics and other sacred items, kept in the sacristry, were likely unharmed. “Normally there is no risk of things being burned,”

Oh......good. Still lost the glasswork in the windows though. :( 

33 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

I came home to hear the news. It struck me like a blow in the stomach. Reportedly, there have been thumbs up tweets from the Muslim community. The event grieves me more deeply than I might have expected.  I hope it wasn't arson.

How can our minds not go there?  I can't help thinking of my great-great grandparents (two sets of 'em) escaping the canonades over the frozen-over Mississippi as the Temple burned.

My one and only visit to Paris was on Bastille Day 1975, 30 years after the big celebration a couple of months after VE Day and five years after De Gaulle's death.  It was such an emotional experience, watching the solemn commemoration and wreath-laying at noon, visiting the Cathedral that afternoon, and watching the fireworks out the train windows as the skies over Paris darkened.

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

It's crumbling anyway.  Let it burn down, like Nauvoo Temple, then rebuild it with modern engineering standards in replica form, the way we rebuilt Nauvoo Temple.

This just sounds so callous. 

1 hour ago, ttribe said:

can't find the humor in the Quasimodo jokes.

Some of us feel the need to laugh to avoid despair.  I can understand why it may not feel the same way to others.  I don't generally share my own darker side of humor online because of that.

I appreciate Nehor giving me something to laugh at though, he has made many a day and topic more bearable for me because of it. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Jeanne said:

This just sounds so callous. 

Perhaps Robert is concerned with people being injured in trying to save it.

It meant a lot to the community to save what they could of the now Provo Central Temple.  But I would have been heartsick if someone had been hurt badly in the efforts.

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

It is the laughter of despair. It is better then the alternative.

There is endless loss, despair is the reasonable alternative.

Ach...got to get back to laughing it off.