Sign in to follow this  
TheRedHen

Feminism’s war against women

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Robert D. Crockett said:

Do you mind if I defend the abortion laws?  I do so as a libertarian.

Legalized abortion means that a woman seeking an abortion has a safe place to do it.  Before legalized abortion, any woman could get an abortion but it was very risky and particularly afflicted the poor.  It is the woman's choice to do it.  It is not the man's choice.  A woman should be free to choose.  Government should not coerce the woman.

I read this a suggesting that, from a libertarian standpoint,  safe places should be allowed for people to perpetrate serious immoral acts that are fatal (the epitome of unsafe) to their victims--whether it is called "murder" or not.

I also read this metaphorically as saying that, from a libertarian position,  one of two partners equally involved in the creation of a product, is granted unequal rights to make decisions about the shared product because of where the product is housed and cared for over nine months--including complete destruction of the product.. In other words, if two people are equally involved in the creation of a new flying machine,  only one of the partners gets to make all the decisions about that flying machine, including shredding the flying machine, as long as it is in that partners hanger--and this even though the other partner will be legally on the hook to cover all expenses if or once the flying machine leaves the hanger.

The "reasoning" here seems upside-down to me, if not seriously flawed.

.Thanks, -Wade Enlgund-

Edited by Wade Englund

19 minutes ago, Wade Englund said:

I read this a suggesting that, from a libertarian standpoint,  safe places should be allowed for people to perpetrate serious immoral acts that are fatal (the epitome of unsafe) to their victims--whether it is called "murder" or not.

I also read this metaphorically as saying that, from a libertarian position,  one of two partners equally involved in the creation of a product, is granted unequal rights to make decisions about the shared product because of where the product is housed and cared for over nine months--including complete destruction of the product.. In other words, if two people are equally involved in the creation of a new flying machine,  only one of the partners gets to make all the decisions about that flying machine, including shredding the flying machine, as long as it is in that partners hanger--and this even though the other partner will be legally on the hook to cover all expenses if or once the flying machine leaves the hanger.

.Thanks, -Wade Enlgund-

Not nearly as flawed as your analogies.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Wade Englund said:

.Thanks, -Wade Enlgund-

Is it appropriate to:

1.  Prohibit prostitution?

2.  Forbid the sale of alcohol on Sundays?

3.  Criminalize adultery?

If they are victimless crimes, they should not be prohibited.  Abortion is a victimless crime if you believe what the Bible says.  If you don't believe what the Bible says and consider the fetus a victim, well then I can see your position.

38 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Not nearly as flawed as your analogies.

What flaws? Would you please point them out?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

3 minutes ago, Robert D. Crockett said:

Is it appropriate to:

1.  Prohibit prostitution?

2.  Forbid the sale of alcohol on Sundays?

3.  Criminalize adultery?

If they are victimless crimes, they should not be prohibited.  Abortion is a victimless crime if you believe what the Bible says.  If you don't believe what the Bible says and consider the fetus a victim, well then I can see your position.

It would help were you to engage my readings of your post. I will happily await a direct response. 

However, in the interim, I am not sure what passages in the Bible you have in mind, but I don't view dicing up unborn children as a victim-less crime. In fact, doesn't the Bible say something about milestones and offending little ones ? (Lk 17:2)

1. Is it appropriate to legally protect the eggs of endangered species?  (see HERE)

2. Is it appropriate to charge perpetrators with a double crime for killing a pregnant woman. (see HERE)

3. Is it appropriate to grant unequal rights based on gender?

4. Is the libertarian non-aggression principle inappropriate?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wade Englund said:

What flaws? Would you please point them out?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Sure, an embryonic human is not akin to an invention and pregnancy is not akin to storing something in your garage. Tell a pregnant woman it is and I think you are liable to get punched.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Sure, an embryonic human is not akin to an invention and pregnancy is not akin to storing something in your garage. Tell a pregnant woman it is and I think you are liable to get punched.

That may be true if the woman confuses a well-intended and innocuous principle comparison with an unkind material or value comparison, or is too easily offended. 

I have in mind the Gentile women whom Jesus compared to a dog (Mt. 15:21-28)  The woman could have easily been greatly offended since being made akin to a dog was one of the worst insults of that day and area.  

However, she reasonably grasped the relevant and well-intended  and rational principle being conveyed by Jesus, and was thus able to continue with the analogy,  herself, to ultimately work  it rationally in her favor. (ibid)

If she wasn't offended by what could have easily have been considered the worst insult of the day, imagine how less  likely she would be offended by a well-intended comparison between her daughter and an innocuous  flying machine.

What a wonderful example she was of how not to miss the reasonable point and not mistakenly rush to be offended. It is a worthy example to us all.

I have had similar experiences these days when I have been told that I was eating like a pig--which I reasonably took to mean that I was eating too fast and lacking respect for others around the table.

That having been said, did you see any flaws in principles?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Englund said:

That may be true if the woman confuses a well-intended and innocuous principle comparison with an unkind material or value comparison, or is too easily offended. 

I have in mind the Gentile women whom Jesus compared to a dog (Mt. 15:21-28)  The woman could have easily been greatly offended since being made akin to a dog was one of the worst insults of that day and area.  

However, she reasonably grasped the relevant and well-intended  and rational principle being conveyed by Jesus, and was thus able to continue with the analogy,  herself, to ultimately work  it rationally in her favor. (ibid)

If she wasn't offended by what could have easily have been considered the worst insult of the day, imagine how less  likely she would be offended by a well-intended comparison between her daughter and an innocuous  flying machine.

What a wonderful example she was of how not to miss the reasonable point and not mistakenly rush to be offended. It is a worthy example to us all.

I have had similar experiences these days when I have been told that I was eating like a pig--which I reasonably took to mean that I was eating too fast and lacking respect for others around the table.

That having been said, did you see any flaws in principles?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

This comparison fails because you are not the Messiah.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Not every utterance from an apostle is Gods word. 

8 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

When I first joined the Church I took an Institute course (I think I had to pay for the material in a huge binder) It very clearly stated that as members we are only bound by what the First Presidency states. This makes great sense to me and aligns with the Temple.

What's sad is how much of revelation recorded by God's mouthpieces we get to ignore simply because the powers that be couldn't be bothered to vote on making it official.

With that kind of appreciation it's no wonder God rarely speaks and leaves them to do what they feel best.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Dupl.

Edited by JLHPROF

2 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

What's sad is how much of revelation recorded by God's mouthpieces we get to ignore simply because the powers that be couldn't be bothered to vote on making it official.

With that kind of appreciation it's no wonder God rarely speaks and leaves them to do what they feel best.

I appreciate Gods word, the words of the brethren and I don’t feel God is passively aggressively punishing me.  I also know that not everything said by an apostle is direct revelation.  I don’t think that’s a disrespectful stance. 

• Like 1