Seriously No Politics ×

Evidence of a Prophet

3 hours ago, SouthernMo said:

That’s awesome. Glad you’re having good experiences. 

I've also often thought that a lot of future prophecy is more a road map requiring conditional faith and action to fulfill, and not so much a prediction. Even D&C 87 could have taken a few alternate twists and turns to realize.

49 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

Your recent posts have demonstrated to me that your self-professed “quite limited” understanding goes far beyond the implications of soviet communism.  

You ask for examples of prophecy, then demean the prophecy deeming it as nothing more than a simple plan completely under the Church’s control (despite the fact the plan included preaching in lands closed to Americans and their churches, with a missionary force from lands the Church either wasn’t  in or in which it had few members).  And then further demean the prophecy by saying the Church simply executed on its commonplace plan (like your plan to graduate college) without providing any example of a comparable plan executed by a church of comparable size in the same time period.

Inexplicably, in your next post you further demean the prophecy by saying global events outside of the Church’s control opened doors for the expansion of missionary work.  Isn’t that part of the prophetic nature of what President Kimball said?  Isn’t it extraordinary and prophetic to announce that the Church will preach the Gospel in lands closed to the Church (especially if, in fact, opening those countries to missionary work was, as you believe, outside the control of the Church).

But, of course, opening those countries was not beyond the control of God.  And when God shared His plan with His prophet and told him to tell the Church that “the time is now,” the Prophet did so and the Church responded.  I invite you to look at the percentage increase in the missionary force in the two years after the prophecy was given and God opened countries to those missionaries.

Btw, I’d suggest that the idea that a single cigarette never hurt anyone is just wrongheaded since anyone includes people who have promised God not to smoke and breaking promises made to God always hurts the offender.

Buddy - please reread my message to which you are replying.

I know a lot of people here stand firm in their views and won’t adjust.  I’m genuinely in agreement with you that the prophecy of missionary work moving to lands that in the 70’s (and 80’s?) would have had no indication  of opening is indicative of god’s influence. I’m putting your example in my record of what I see as genuine prophesies that have come to pass.

Now - If President Nelson we’re to prophesy that a mission in Kanab, Utah would be opened, I’d be less inclined to count that one as a legitimate example of him “predicting” something would happen outside of his control.

Agree with you about those who covenant not to smoke. But the context of that statement was as it relates to health only. Covenants are a different matter.

Lastly - no need to insult my intelligence or limited knowledge of subjects. Doesn’t do much good at all.

2 hours ago, SouthernMo said:

Buddy - please reread my message to which you are replying.

I know a lot of people here stand firm in their views and won’t adjust.  I’m genuinely in agreement with you that the prophecy of missionary work moving to lands that in the 70’s (and 80’s?) would have had no indication  of opening is indicative of god’s influence. I’m putting your example in my record of what I see as genuine prophesies that have come to pass.

Now - If President Nelson we’re to prophesy that a mission in Kanab, Utah would be opened, I’d be less inclined to count that one as a legitimate example of him “predicting” something would happen outside of his control.

Agree with you about those who covenant not to smoke. But the context of that statement was as it relates to health only. Covenants are a different matter.

Lastly - no need to insult my intelligence or limited knowledge of subjects. Doesn’t do much good at all.

You equated the prophecy with your graduating college and said it didn’t “resonate as special” to you.  Apparently you’ve changed your mind.  Kudos.

Btw, I didn’t insult your intelligence, I commented on your lack of understanding.  There’s no shame in not understanding something.  My impression of your posts overall is that you have an open mind and are willing to listen to, ask questions about, acknowledge the strengths and point out the weakness in, others views as you perceive them.   I think those are all laudable traits.

Godspeed to you.

9 hours ago, let’s roll said:

You equated the prophecy with your graduating college and said it didn’t “resonate as special” to you.  Apparently you’ve changed your mind.

Yes - I love when people here give me perspective and information that changes my mind. It’s the main reason I come here is to find that.

On 4/14/2019 at 1:14 PM, SouthernMo said:

I’m most curious about events that a latter day prophet clearly foretold and came to be.

Less interested in great guidance that a prophet gave. 

Perhaps you would be interested in the Cardston Temple vision. I can't post a link but you can Google it. I added the link. it's not a prophecy by the Church but it's about the Church and the wise moves by it's leaders as instructed.

https://www.reliefmine.com/articles/prophecy/93-the-cardston-temple-vision-world-war-iii

Edited by rodheadlee
ad ifo
10 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Perhaps you would be interested in the Cardston Temple vision. I can't post a link but you can Google it. I added the link. it's not a prophecy by the Church but it's about the Church and the wise moves by it's leaders as instructed.

https://www.reliefmine.com/articles/prophecy/93-the-cardston-temple-vision-world-war-iii

So if I understand this correctly, this link shares a vision had by a woman about an event that hasn’t happened (yet?) in which leaders of the LDS church made good decisions?

You take this as a testimony-building experience that shows you that LDS prophets/leaders are guided by god?

3 hours ago, SouthernMo said:

So if I understand this correctly, this link shares a vision had by a woman about an event that hasn’t happened (yet?) in which leaders of the LDS church made good decisions?

You take this as a testimony-building experience that shows you that LDS prophets/leaders are guided by god?

It's an event that is on going. Perhaps yesterday's bombing of 3 Catholic churches was round 2 of the begining of the war described in the vision. 

Yes it is a testament that my Church's leaders are guided by God And doing the right things.

21 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

It's an event that is on going. Perhaps yesterday's bombing of 3 Catholic churches was round 2 of the begining of the war described in the vision. 

Yes it is a testament that my Church's leaders are guided by God And doing the right things.

I’m glad that vision strengthens you and your faith.

47 minutes ago, SouthernMo said:

If a prophecy doesn’t bring you peace, how can it be from God?  The spirit operates by love, doesn’t it?  Not fear?

Kind of like sailing in the ocean on a small sailboat 90% boredom 10% sheer Terror

Edited by rodheadlee
11 minutes ago, Robert D. Crockett said:

Ratzinger (the former pope) wrote in his book that the main thing a prophet did was call Israel to repentance and to remind them of past prophecies.

If the church ever used it's prophet to remind it's members of past prophecies, well, the failed prophecies from the past would be highlighted.  Since the Church is all about pretending like the past prophecies never were, I wonder how that plays into this comment by the former pope.  And I'm curious what it means when someone calls people to repentance for things they don't need to repent of, in terms of being a prophet?  

There's plenty of mileage to discuss with this little comment from the former pope.  Thanks.

You know...as a group of fellow saints..it is always astonishing to realize how quick they are to throw a former prophet under the bus if it deems necessary.  Took me awhile to see that.  The policy of 2014 that became revelation was when Pres. Monson had dementia and apostles missing at the table...now Nelson can take that 2015 policy and put it under Monson's administration. 

4 hours ago, Jeanne said:

ou know...as a group of fellow saints..it is always astonishing to realize how quick they are to throw a former prophet under the bus if it deems necessary. 

Do you see being open to your loved ones not doing things perfectly as "throwing them under the bus"?

42 minutes ago, Calm said:

Do you see being open to your loved ones not doing things perfectly as "throwing them under the bus"?

my loved ones have never done something big and then blamed me for it.  I am open..everyone has made mistakes...but they weren't revelations.

Edited by Jeanne
26 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

my loved ones have never done something big and then blamed me for it.  I am open..everyone has made mistakes...but they weren't revelations.

How would you feel if someone told you that you were throwing them under the bus when you said they made a mistake, even in the case of a major mistake or life altering one?

Edited by Calm
40 minutes ago, Calm said:

How would you feel if someone told you that you were throwing them under the bus when you said they made a mistake, even in the case of a major mistake or life altering one?

Of course I would feel terrible..that is my point.  Pres.Monson if he is even aware, is feeling pretty bad about now.  Then of course, there is BY...Adam God..Blacks/race issues...whatever he said as a Prophet...no long is relevant.

55 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

You are fortunate never to have been betrayed.

19 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Of course I would feel terrible..that is my point.  Pres.Monson if he is even aware, is feeling pretty bad about now.  Then of course, there is BY...Adam God..Blacks/race issues...whatever he said as a Prophet...no long is relevant.

Would you see them using "throw under the bus" as correctly portraying how you feel about that person?  Do you want your loved ones to disappear if you recognize they have made mistakes, even major mistakes?