Seriously No Politics ×

What is being protested at BYU?

I contrast my experience at BYU in 1977-82 with my daughter’s experience at Ricks (later BYU-I) in 2000-01. I never had the HC people approach me about the conduct of any roommate, and I would never have ratted out the football-player roomie I had in 1981-82 who flouted the HC in several material respects.  My daughter, in contrast, had great pressure put on her at Ricks to rat out a young woman with whom she’d roomed for only the summer of 2000. My daughter insisted she knew nothing about the activities of which her former roomie had been accused, and that nothing like that had happened, so far as she knew, while they were roommates.  It appeared for a time that my daughter was facing discipline for refusing to corroborate the accusations against her roommate. I was ready to raise a massive stink if that happened, but thankfully the Ricks administration backed off in the end.

I'll just toss this out there, if I went to BYU I'd be real careful about reporting anyone.  I've had similar discussions with LDS friends who are lawyers, something most of em don't understand is when you get someone kicked out of school and ruin them to the point of possible homelessness, they can get ugly, real fast.  Someone in that position has nothing to lose, felons are more or less invincible.  Someone who's only options left in life are either jail or life on the street don't care about being sued, that have nothing to lose anymore. 

I've seen people get dox'd, for those who don't know that's when someone posts your personal info, including that of friends and family everywhere.  If they have it, even SSN's.  You can use VPN's and software like TOR to cover your tracks.  Sure, it's illegal but besides proving it, fighting that stuff is very time consuming and expensive, not easy to do if you have kids.  The real sick thing is some people hold grudges and wait till life has you very busy.  Sad thing is, I knew someone who did this, he waited till the guy who screwed him over had his first kid.  With social media, it's too easy to digitally lynch someone and turn their lives into a living hell, with linkedin it can be all too easy to possibly tank someones career, I know I had to deal with that personally when I had to go through 5 years of non stop family infighting, it's partially why I had to change careers.  There was a reason why I was so mentally unstable years ago, it's only been within the last year i've finally started to stabalize. 

People don't play nice anymore, nor fair....

Edited by poptart
6 hours ago, poptart said:

I'll just toss this out there, if I went to BYU I'd be real careful about reporting anyone.  I've had similar discussions with LDS friends who are lawyers, something most of em don't understand is when you get someone kicked out of school and ruin them to the point of possible homelessness, they can get ugly, real fast.  Someone in that position has nothing to lose, felons are more or less invincible.  Someone who's only options left in life are either jail or life on the street don't care about being sued, that have nothing to lose anymore. 

I've seen people get dox'd, for those who don't know that's when someone posts your personal info, including that of friends and family everywhere.  If they have it, even SSN's.  You can use VPN's and software like TOR to cover your tracks.  Sure, it's illegal but besides proving it, fighting that stuff is very time consuming and expensive, not easy to do if you have kids.  The real sick thing is some people hold grudges and wait till life has you very busy.  Sad thing is, I knew someone who did this, he waited till the guy who screwed him over had his first kid.  With social media, it's too easy to digitally lynch someone and turn their lives into a living hell, with linkedin it can be all too easy to possibly tank someones career, I know I had to deal with that personally when I had to go through 5 years of non stop family infighting, it's partially why I had to change careers.  There was a reason why I was so mentally unstable years ago, it's only been within the last year i've finally started to stabalize. 

People don't play nice anymore, nor fair....

This is a huge reason that the BYU honor code needs to be adjusted. Telling students to rat out other students puts everyone in harm's way. 

33 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

This is a huge reason that the BYU honor code needs to be adjusted. Telling students to rat out other students puts everyone in harm's way. 

Whew, glad I'm not the only person who thought about this.  All for rules but considering the way things are anymore, just snitching on someone has consequences.  Stakes are higher, without the right education and contacts it's so easy to end up homeless.  LDS people tend to have better families than most here, even then it's still a lot harder to make it.  People can and do ruin each other on social media, someone gets kicked out of a good school like BYU?  If I was responsible/had a hand in it I'd very much be worried about revenge, especially if I'm in a field that requires online networking. 

I am of two ( or more ) minds on this. On the one hand , my spouse grew up in a communist country where neighbors were encouraged to spy on each other and in school the teachers urged kids to rat on their own parents. Not cool!!

On the other hand, suppose highway speeds were posted but never enforced, would that be a recipe for peace and security?

On the third hand, one's word should be one's bond and if one wants to break the Honor Code, have the integrity to transfer out of BYU. 

On the fourth hand... 

I just found out that my nephew's wife participated in the protests. A few years ago, while a BYU student, she was raped while in another country. Nothing happened to the rapist. She went to her bishop to get counseling and he turned her into the Honor Code office. It was determined that she wasn't showing enough contrition for her part in what happened, and was kicked out of BYU for 3 semesters. She did return to BYU and has since graduated.

Note: I don't know any more details than I just shared.

13 minutes ago, Thinking said:

I just found out that my nephew's wife participated in the protests. A few years ago, while a BYU student, she was raped while in another country. Nothing happened to the rapist. She went to her bishop to get counseling and he turned her into the Honor Code office. It was determined that she wasn't showing enough contrition for her part in what happened, and was kicked out of BYU for 3 semesters. She did return to BYU and has since graduated.

That’s horrible. 

38 minutes ago, Thinking said:

That is truly disgusting.