Seriously No Politics ×

Pacific ministry tour

Well in time I wonder what the effect will be.  The prophet came and told them paying tithing will end poverty.  If they remain in poverty after having making sacrifices we don't really imagine in order to pay tithing, if they will stick with the Church.  Or if as the membership swells in Africa if they too will find themselves overblown with tons of members  but few who actually participate, or consider themselves Mormon, kind of like what's happened in various parts of central and South America.  

As it is there'll remain some how will find their way out of poverty, perhaps with the help of the Church while others will look on feeling less than and foolish because while they paid tithing they must have lacked somehow else as they remain in poverty, watching on the sidelines as the very few stand up and testify that the prophet was right for them, even if not for most others.  

Ah well...I hope was seen as a mistake and won't be carried to all other areas of the world.  

8 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Well in time I wonder what the effect will be.  The prophet came and told them paying tithing will end poverty.  If they remain in poverty after having making sacrifices we don't really imagine in order to pay tithing, if they will stick with the Church.  Or if as the membership swells in Africa if they too will find themselves overblown with tons of members  but few who actually participate, or consider themselves Mormon, kind of like what's happened in various parts of central and South America.  

As it is there'll remain some how will find their way out of poverty, perhaps with the help of the Church while others will look on feeling less than and foolish because while they paid tithing they must have lacked somehow else as they remain in poverty, watching on the sidelines as the very few stand up and testify that the prophet was right for them, even if not for most others.  

Ah well...I hope was seen as a mistake and won't be carried to all other areas of the world.  

When he came here he talked about Temples and how to prepare for ours that is coming, I think it was a mishmash of previous Temple conference talks,, but it was allright though. I don't recall tithing being mentioned

On 4/15/2019 at 6:52 AM, HappyJackWagon said:

Gotta hand it to him. He seems to have more energy than I do and he's more than twice my age :) 

I think it's great that leadership gets out to visit the people. The more, the better!

I think he realizes his time at the helm could end at any moment so he wants to pack as much in as possible. I recently heard he has been given the nickname “ Hustle B. Nelson.”

1 hour ago, Gray said:

Prosperity gospel is a scourge.

Agreed. I do believe the gospel can and should raise people out of poverty but the idea that wealth is a natural consequence of living the gospel should be stamped out. I remember a talk by Elder Packer about this saying that fame and wealth are not indicators of righteousness. I would kind of like to hear a talk like that again. It has been a while.

14 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Agreed. I do believe the gospel can and should raise people out of poverty but the idea that wealth is a natural consequence of living the gospel should be stamped out. I remember a talk by Elder Packer about this saying that fame and wealth are not indicators of righteousness. I would kind of like to hear a talk like that again. It has been a while.

Elder Cook gave some counsel about it a few years ago

"Recently, I spoke to a body of young adults who are on the verge of that period of life where financial matters and the choices they make about finances are exceedingly important.

A familiar scripture found in Alma 36:30, and many other places in the Book of Mormon, has two parts. It reads, “Inasmuch as ye will keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land.” The second part reads, “Inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence.” It is clear that having the blessing of the Holy Spirit is a principal element of prospering in the land.

Some seem absolutely driven to achieve the “lifestyle of the rich and famous.” Excess wealth is not promised to faithful members, nor does it usually bring happiness.

As a people, the Latter-day Saints have indeed prospered. Some achieve wealth as the result of very worthwhile and appropriate pursuits and use that wealth to bless mankind and further the Lord’s purposes.

Wise financial principles include seeking the kingdom of God first; working, planning, and spending wisely; planning for the future; and using wealth to build up the kingdom of God."

I think this is the talk he was referring to

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/quentin-l-cook_banquet-consequences-cumulative-result-choices/

On 4/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, stemelbow said:

I know I"m rather cynical when it comes to Church these days, but I will note, I hope this is not another "if you want to get out of poverty, then pay your tithing" tour.  

Paying tithing might help people get out of spiritual poverty.  Tithing is not an investment opportunity and people should stop making it as such.  If all people got wealthier by paying tithing, everyone would do it.