Sign in to follow this  
SettingDogStar

"Book of Anointings"

There is a book that I'm aware is currently locked/stored in the Church Archives. However from a few comments made on some other boards I'm aware that some copies of this "book" exist outside of the Church. I'm curious if any of you know where I could get a hold of a copy or digital scan of the material? 

I believe it's usually referenced as the "Book of Anointings of Nauvoo" or variations of that and contains records from January 8 to February 7 of 1846. I know one copy resides in the University of Utah library special collection archives, but I live nowhere near there to get access. 

40 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Did you shell out $259 for it?

Does it have a lot more material than Devery Anderson's trilogy and the William Clayton diaries (HCK in particular) or am I covered with those?

6 hours ago, jpv said:

Did you shell out $259 for it?

Does it have a lot more material than Devery Anderson's trilogy and the William Clayton diaries (HCK in particular) or am I covered with those?

No, I bought it when they came out.  Pricey, but not $259.

And as far as I can tell it's as complete a record of all Nauvoo ordinances as I've seen.  I think it contains more than those other books although I haven't counted.

7 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Does anyone know how this book is different from Gary Bergera's book by almost the same name?  Anderson/Bergera's hard cover is 314 pages but starts in 1842, Lisle Brown's book goes back to 1841 and is 395pgs.  

Joseph Smith's Quorum of the Anointed, 1842-1845: A Documentary History Kindle Edition
by Joseph Smith (Author), Devery S. Anderson  (Editor), Gary J. Bergera (Editor), Todd Compton (Foreword)

5 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

No, I bought it when they came out.  Pricey, but not $259.

And as far as I can tell it's as complete a record of all Nauvoo ordinances as I've seen.  I think it contains more than those other books although I haven't counted.

I think this reason it’s stored in the archives of the church is because it contains decently detailed accounts of ordinances. The excerpts I’ve seen contain some detail about the “second anointing” and various wording for other ceremonies like endowments. 

2 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

I think this reason it’s stored in the archives of the church is because it contains decently detailed accounts of ordinances. The excerpts I’ve seen contain some detail about the “second anointing” and various wording for other ceremonies like endowments. 

Well that's all readily available in other publications.

I so want this in pdf form