nuclearfuels

“In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost."

5 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm not terribly worried about how much we might be "falling behind," as you put it.  Exalting His children is what God does, after all.  It's all He does (see Moses 1:39).  He's very good at it.  And it isn't as though He's going to overlook anyone (see Matthew 10:29, Moses 1:37). While God isn't going to exalt anyone against his or her will, the good news is, He's also very persuasive.  And He has eternity to do it, which is pretty much all the time He'll need. ;):D

This is my belief as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Oh, baloney!  :P:rolleyes:  I didn't write any of that to set myself up as any kind of a paragon of virtue, as a tower of strength, or as anything else of the kind.  While I've told much of my story here, there's a lot of it I've held back.  Truth be told, in many ways, I have been my own worst enemy, have shot myself in the foot at critical junctures, and so on and so forth.  I will freely admit my flaws; my only reason for not doing so more extensively here is for the sake of brevity, of succinctness.  In many more ways than one, my past has bitten me in the rump (probably justifiably so): My only question is, since it has bitten me and has bitten me hard (and justifiably so, I'll admit), why it seems that it should be allowed to keep chewing.

It's almost as if Bar Associations say, "Yes, we believe in redemption, but only for reformed criminal defendants, not for prospective members of the Bar who've been denied admission on character and fitness grounds."  And, "Yes, we want members of the Bar to be able to reach and to help those with criminal pasts, but if you have one yourself, don't bother applying."  (I have a minor criminal record: I freaking swear, no one has gotten more mileage out of a piddly little misdemeanor than those who have sought to use mine against me. :rolleyes:)  And, "Yes, we want members of the Bar to be able to reach and to help those who have complex behavioral health histories, but if you have one yourself, don't bother applying."   And, "Yes, we want members of the Bar to be able to reach and to help those who have suffered financial reversals, but if you've suffered one yourself, don't bother applying."  And so on. Applicants seemed damned if they do, and damned if they don't: "If there's anything in your history we should know about, you should disclose it: If you don't, we're going to ding you for lack of candor."  On the other hand, "But if you do disclose it, we're going to ding you for the misdeeds you disclose."  So, "It's not a question of whether you're going to die from poisoning, it's simply a question of which poison you're going to die from.  But, since you're going to die no matter what, by all means, pick your poison."

And, the idiot psychologist who evaluated me in 2014 took exactly that same approach, this, despite nearly ten years of earnest, sincere, sustained efforts at rehabilitation which his careless evaluation blithely swept away.  I don't have to disclose the evaluation this year: The Bar's rules for behavioral health history mandate disclosure of treatment within the previous five years (though, at least arguably, evaluation isn't treatment, at all) and of hospitalization within the previous ten years, so I guess I'm clear, but what's the point?  The Bar's simply going to find something to use against me, no matter what.  William Faulkner was right: "The past isn't dead.  The past isn't even past."

But I keep breathing, probably for no other reason than I'm too damn stupid to know when I've been licked. :rolleyes:  (Hell, I can't even find work as a paralegal, for goodness sake!)  To borrow and slightly alter the inimitable Major Frank Burns of M*A*S*H infamy, "I believe in the sanctity of human life, no matter how ugly or disgusting it gets." ;) (He was talking about marriage.)  Sure, a lot of this is my fault.  The only thing I can say is, it's a good thing God forgives, because Bar Associations sure as hell don't. :rolleyes:  There'll always be phones to answer.  (I freaking swear, I could have a Ph-freaking-D from MI-freaking-T summa cum freaking laude in freaking physics, for crying out loud, and a hiring manager would say, "Ph.D., summa cum laude from MIT, hmmm?  Very impressive!  Unfortunately, our physicist position has been filled, but I do see here that you also have phone experience, and we have another department that does that ..."

[/END RANT]

[/END THREADJACK]

Sorry! :huh::unknw:

I meant that in a more literal sense, not as a moral thing. If I was stuck as a phone jockey in a call center with little hope of getting out  I think my options would go down to either eating a bullet or cashing out my retirement savings and selling my house and living out of a van until my money runs out and the van breaks down and I end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a van down by the river.

42 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I meant that in a more literal sense, not as a moral thing. If I was stuck as a phone jockey in a call center with little hope of getting out  I think my options would go down to either eating a bullet or cashing out my retirement savings and selling my house and living out of a van until my money runs out and the van breaks down and I end up eating a steady diet of government cheese and living in a van down by the river.

I don't know if I was supposed to, but is it OK if I admit that I laughed at your post? :huh: :unknw:  I laugh in the face of utter hopelessness!  Bring it on, baby!  Bring it on!  Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!!

[Cue thunder!]

P.S.: I wasn't aiming for two perfect rows of hah-hahs.  That's just the way it worked out.  Perhaps it's an omen.  Maybe it means that today's gonna be a good day! ;):D 

P.P.S.:  I already live in a Julie-Rowe-inspired tent city, so, actually, a van by the river would be an improvement. :rofl: 

Edited by Kenngo1969

19 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't know if I was supposed to, but is it OK if I admit that I laughed at your post? :huh: :unknw:  I laugh in the face of utter hopelessness!  Bring it on, baby!  Bring it on!  Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!!

[Cue thunder!]

P.S.: I wasn't aiming for two perfect rows of hah-hahs.  That's just the way it worked out.  Perhaps it's an omen.  Maybe it means that today's gonna be a good day! ;):D 

P.P.S.:  I already live in a Julie-Rowe-inspired tent city, so, actually, a van by the river would be an improvement. :rofl: 

It was meant to amuse. I am hoping someone got the SNL joke I put in there too.