Sign in to follow this  
nuclearfuels

“In coming days, it will not be possible to survive spiritually without the guiding, directing, comforting, and constant influence of the Holy Ghost."

his message came up a lot during General Conference. What do you think it's a warning of? 

Economic Recession / Depression?

Political assassination?

Natural disasters?

All of the above?

Only two of the above?

or

Second Coming?

Your dichotomy is false, or at least the nice, bright, clear line you have attempted to draw between economic depression, et cetera, on the one hand, and the Second Coming, on the other hand, doesn't exist, since we are told that many of the items on your first list will precede the Second Coming.  Further, while the reminders may be more pointed these days, leaders have been telling us that we won't be able to live on borrowed light for quite some time now.  He with ears to hear . . . ?

• Like 3

Did they mention specifically we needed to keep our food storages updated and ready to go?  

18 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

his message came up a lot during General Conference. What do you think it's a warning of? 

Political assassination?

Natural disasters?

All of the above?

Only two of the above?

or

Second Coming?

Is it possible to have the constant companionship/influence of the Holy Ghost?

3 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I know people who do. I am not one of them.

I'm legitimately curious. My (limited) understanding of the doctrine (based on 40 years of church discipleship before falling away, so maybe I'm not the best source) is that we must be worthy to receive the companionship of the holy ghost. So for instance, when I raise my voice at my children I would lose his companionship. It would seem to me that in order to have the constant influence of the holy ghost one would have to be perfect. Is this incorrect?

7 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

I'm legitimately curious. My (limited) understanding of the doctrine (based on 40 years of church discipleship before falling away, so maybe I'm not the best source) is that we must be worthy to receive the companionship of the holy ghost. So for instance, when I raise my voice at my children I would lose his companionship. It would seem to me that in order to have the constant influence of the holy ghost one would have to be perfect. Is this incorrect?

Well, whether it's really possible or not, the Holy Ghost is taught to be a "constant companion". So if it's not possible, maybe that phrase should be discontinued. "Constant" sounds a lot better that "Conditional" companion.

https://www.lds.org/study/ensign/1980/10/thy-constant-companion-the-promised-blessings-of-the-holy-ghost?lang=eng

• Like 1

I didn’t take President Nelson’s words literally. Hyperbole.  We can all do more to keep the spirit with us.

Its hard to fathom anyone spiritually dying because the Holy Ghost is not constantly with that person.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

We don't have to be perfect (because a gift no one ever qualified for would be kind of dumb) but having Him as a constant companion is daunting.  Here's what Pres. Eyring said about it in 2015:

"So, for many reasons, we need the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. We desire it, yet we know from experience that it is not easy to maintain. We each think, say, and do things in our daily lives that can offend the Spirit. The Lord taught us that the Holy Ghost will be our constant companion when our hearts are full of charity and when virtue garnishes our thoughts unceasingly (see D&C 121:45).

For those who are struggling with the high standard needed to qualify for the gift of the Spirit’s companionship, I offer this encouragement. You have had times when you have felt the influence of the Holy Ghost. It may have happened for you today.

You can treat those moments of inspiration like the seed of faith that Alma described (see Alma 32:28). Plant each one. You can do that by acting on the prompting you felt. The most valuable inspiration will be for you to know what God would have you do. If it is to pay tithing or to visit a grieving friend, you should do it. Whatever it is, do it. When you demonstrate your willingness to obey, the Spirit will send you more impressions of what God would have you do for Him.

As you obey, the impressions from the Spirit will come more frequently, becoming closer and closer to constant companionship. Your power to choose the right will increase."

He also says later in the talk that when we desire to do something righteous, the Spirit helps us, so grace enables us to meet the high standard that, even though it's short of perfection, is still high enough that few if any could attain it on their own.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bluebell said:

We don't have to be perfect (because a gift no one ever qualified for would be kind of dumb) but having Him as a constant companion is daunting.  Here's what Pres. Eyring said about it in 2015:

"So, for many reasons, we need the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. We desire it, yet we know from experience that it is not easy to maintain. We each think, say, and do things in our daily lives that can offend the Spirit. The Lord taught us that the Holy Ghost will be our constant companion when our hearts are full of charity and when virtue garnishes our thoughts unceasingly (see D&C 121:45).

So is it possible for virtue to garnish our thoughts unceasingly? In mortality?

For those who are struggling with the high standard needed to qualify for the gift of the Spirit’s companionship, I offer this encouragement. You have had times when you have felt the influence of the Holy Ghost. It may have happened for you today.

You can treat those moments of inspiration like the seed of faith that Alma described (see Alma 32:28). Plant each one. You can do that by acting on the prompting you felt. The most valuable inspiration will be for you to know what God would have you do. If it is to pay tithing or to visit a grieving friend, you should do it. Whatever it is, do it. When you demonstrate your willingness to obey, the Spirit will send you more impressions of what God would have you do for Him.

As you obey, the impressions from the Spirit will come more frequently, becoming closer and closer to constant companionship. Your power to choose the right will increase."

I'm sorry but this sounds like we get closer and closer, but never there? Sounds like Zeno's dichotomy paradox. Again if perfectly following promptings is required and we aren't perfect, how does that work?

He also says later in the talk that when we desire to do something righteous, the Spirit helps us, so grace enables us to meet the high standard that, even though it's short of perfection, is still high enough that few if any could attain it on their own.

I'm not sure I understand this.

43 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Is it possible to have the constant companionship/influence of the Holy Ghost?

He might protest that I'm mistaken, but, of the people with whom I am acquainted here on the Board and/or in Cyber space (and there, of course, is the huge caveat: Perhaps they're completely different in real life) Hamba Tuhan comes close.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Well, whether it's really possible or not, the Holy Ghost is taught to be a "constant companion". So if it's not possible, maybe that phrase should be discontinued. "Constant" sounds a lot better that "Conditional" companion.

https://www.lds.org/study/ensign/1980/10/thy-constant-companion-the-promised-blessings-of-the-holy-ghost?lang=eng

From your article quoting Seciton 121: “when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved”

So as long as we don't do anything "in any degree of unrighteousness" we are okay? So is it actually possible then?

1 minute ago, Kenngo1969 said:

He might protest that I'm mistaken, but, of the people with whom I am acquainted here on the Board and/or in Cyber space (and there, of course, is the huge caveat: Perhaps they're completely different in real life) Hamba Tuhan comes close.

I would agree (love Hamba's posts), but I didn't say come close. I asked if it was possible to do. 

15 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

So is it possible for virtue to garnish our thoughts unceasingly? In mortality?

I'm sorry but this sounds like we get closer and closer, but never there? Sounds like Zeno's dichotomy paradox. Again if perfectly following promptings is required and we aren't perfect, how does that work?

I'm not sure I understand this.

With the help of the spirit, yes.  But not without a lot of practice.  Also, we don't have to perfectly follow promptings.  Elder Eyring says we need to " demonstrate your willingness to obey."  That's different than obeying perfectly.  Think of what Christ said about those who hunger and thirst after righteousness.  He says they will be filled with righteousness.  When you hunger or thirst after something, it means you don't have it, but you want it.  And that's all Christ said we have to do (we have to want righteous) to get it.  That's because of His grace.  

I think that having the spirit with us is similar.  When we are willing to obey, and we try to obey, then the grace of Christ makes us more able to actually obey, more and more.  Perfection is not necessary,  but willingness, action, and the grace of Christ is.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I like what Pres. Oaks said once, maybe twice or more who knows

"Even though we should “pray continuously for guidance,” Elder Oaks teaches that “we shouldn’t expect continuous revelation.” People who do are often confused, he said. We can, however, expect “continuing revelation”—the assurance that we will have the revelation that “a wise and loving Lord chooses to give … to us.”

*This address was first delivered to new mission presidents on June 27, 2001."

Furthermore,  consider the Sacrament prayer:  "... That they may always have His Spirit to be with them."

37 minutes ago, bluebell said:

My understanding of scripture and the Holy Spirit indicates several things:
1. We have been redeemed by the atonement of Christ
2. There was a precious price for that redemption - the suffering, agony, and death of Christ
3. Because of 1 and 2 we have been declared righteous, even though we still sin
4. We are to glorify God with our body and our spirit. That is the debt we owe for the price that was paid
5. In order to accomplish 4, we have been gifted with the Holy Spirit indwelling (in) us. The Holy Spirit teaches us and helps us to know.
6. In this dispensation we (Christians - LDS and otherwise) are the physical and visible presence of God on earth. When others see us; they should see God reflected in our body, soul, and spirit (or body and soul-spirit if you are a bipartist). 
7. In every case I know of Paul's choice of words from the Greek for the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit carries the connotation of "over time" "taking up residence," etc. We become His house - to the human eye and sense, we are the only physical and visible presence of God on earth at this time. Wherever a Christian is; there is the physical visible presence of God. Of course, that presence can be obfuscated by a variety of things - a body and soul (mind, will, emotion) that are out of whack. A wounded spirit, where the deepest part of a person is so damaged he or she is no longer able to shine. 
8. The Holy Spirit is pretty tough. It has been assigned a duty to teach, comfort, and enable us by the Father. He does not flee at the first, second, or third sign of problems. The criteria for the Holy Spirit forsaking a Christian are pretty tough. 

The above points are my experience from Scripture and from my life. I am not suggesting they are thee truth. I am in a relationship with God; these are my learnings from the same.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

I would agree (love Hamba's posts), but I didn't say come close. I asked if it was possible to do. 

It was a figure of speech.  Thanks for letting me know how determined you are to take me absolutely literally.  I'll factor that into further communications and interactions.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I know people who do. I am not one of them.

Then become one.

To answer the original post, I don’t know.

what I do know is that the Lord has poured out his spirit upon me this past conference and given me clear direction on what to do for my family.

interestingly enough my nonmember wife who did not watch conference received the same inspiration.

God is good

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Then become one.

To answer the original post, I don’t know.

what I do know is that the Lord has poured out his spirit upon me this past conference and given me clear direction on what to do for my family.

interestingly enough my nonmember wife who did not watch conference received the same inspiration.

God is good

I also felt the Spirit and got counsel in conference but I am still mostly miserable and the Holy Ghost is not a constant companion. To be fair I probably sinned it away.

As to becoming one of them.....maybe someday.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I also felt the Spirit and got counsel in conference but I am still mostly miserable and the Holy Ghost is not a constant companion. To be fair I probably sinned it away.

As to becoming one of them.....maybe someday.

Then follow the counsel 

Edited by Avatar4321

Just now, Avatar4321 said:

The follow the counsel 

I am. Just not optimistic that I will feel better for doing so.

Not to undermine any intended urgency of his message but prophets have been saying “in coming days...” for a very long time.  It is kind of vague and perhaps intentionally so.  I think it wise counsel regardless of what might lay ahead.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Political assassination?

Natural disasters?

All of the above?

Only two of the above?

or

Second Coming?

Most like spiritual deception as one does not need the holy ghost necessarily to survive a natural disaster or a depression.  Though I thing things are progressing nicely on all these fronts.  It is exciting times we are living in.  People are afraid of climate change.  I am looking forward to it.  The warmer temps and all the things it brings.  Much of which fits the last days in what is supposed to happen. 

5 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

People are afraid of climate change.  I am looking forward to it.  

...says carbon dioxide.  You would! 

Just keep in mind that with warmer weather and oceans comes death, disease, and distruction.  It’s not all sunshine and green foliage.

• Like 3