Seriously No Politics ×

Those not sealed.

If family members or spouses aren’t sealed to each other, will they be physically separated in the resurrection?  One of the speakers in conference (President Nelson I believe) hinted that this may be the case.  The notion seems pretty absurd to me.  Cannot people be together in resurrection but not exalted? 

In any case, I imagine most people will accept vicarious sealing ordinances and everything will be hunky dory.

One of those discussions that rages on forever: "If family members end up in different kingdoms will they be able to visit each other?" I think we all will find things far better than we suppose, but also that we shouldn't delay our own righteousness just because we think God's mercy will automatically make up for our bad behavior.

Edited by CMZ
18 minutes ago, Rivers said:

If family members or spouses aren’t sealed to each other, will they be physically separated in the resurrection?  One of the speakers in conference (President Nelson I believe) hinted that this may be the case.  The notion seems pretty absurd to me.  Cannot people be together in resurrection but not exalted? 

In any case, I imagine most people will accept vicarious sealing ordinances and everything will be hunky dory.

Are you talking about what he said at the very end of the last session? If so, I would only take what he said to apply to that specific individual he was talking about

Edited by provoman
4 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

We are taught that outside a sealing, marriage is til death do us part. 

But then how does that really work with our kids (for example....).

I'm sealed to my kids, but I'm not sealed to their spouses.  They are sealed to both me and their spouses.  Will I just be able to be with them, but not see or be with their spouses?

I know we are told it'll all work out....but much of it is pretty confusing.  We will not be in family units like we are here on earth when our kids are all small (IMO).  Each of them will have their own spouses and so on....

Or are you just specifically speaking about spousal sealings?  

Edited by ALarson
24 minutes ago, Rivers said:

These passages are pretty clear on this point.  President Nelson quoted verse 7 in his talk:

7 And verily I say unto you, that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead.

13 And everything that is in the world, whether it be ordained of men, by thrones, or principalities, or powers, or things of name, whatsoever they may be, that are not by me or by my word, saith the Lord, shall be thrown down, and shall not remain after men are dead, neither in nor after the resurrection, saith the Lord your God.

15 Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

I think there will be a level of relationship with the Oneness that is promised by Christ that we will be laughing in the future when we think back to viewing it in terms of location.

But I think just like now, there may be someone who is in our presence whatever that means who hasn't put the effort and love into developing the relationship that others do and even though fully there, may feel somewhat an outsider because they lack the level of awareness and caring that can come to longtime caring companionships.

The most wonderful doctrine in my view is if we feel that difference as a lack we don't want (not everyone wants to be close to others), God blesses everyone with their own opportunity to have that ultimate closeness though we don't know yet exactly how that happens or when.  That is if we really want it and aren't just giving it lip service (as some do when they say, for example, 'I want my neighbourhood to be a loving, supportive one', but never take the time to even get to know the neighbours or grandparents who say 'being with family is the most important aspect in my life now', but then moves to a place where it is hard for family to visit).  We can't just like the idea of it, but not like what it requires of us.

Edited by Calm
23 minutes ago, Rivers said:

I know that.  But unsealed people can still be in contact and hang out with each other right?

We aren’t told that.  I don’t know if we are all just given an apartment and a cat and we are alone. Or if we live in communes and just have no ability (or desire?) to procreate.  Will we eat? I don’t know.  Maybe not.  Who knows? 

We are just told that the best case is to be sealed to those we love.  

47 minutes ago, ALarson said:

But then how does that really work with our kids (for example....).

I'm sealed to my kids, but I'm not sealed to their spouses.  They are sealed to both me and their spouses.  Will I just be able to be with them, but not see or be with their spouses?

I know we are told it'll all work out....but much of it is pretty confusing.  We will not be in family units like we are here on earth when our kids are all small (IMO).  Each of them will have their own spouses and so on....

Or are you just specifically speaking about spousal sealings?  

Yeah this is pretty important doctrine for us to understand considering it is our eternal existence. I had a friend leave the church because she said she would rather be with her grandmother than anyone else. 

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

Here is what Joseph Fielding Smith said in The Doctrines of Salvation:
"Outside the Celestial kingdom there is no family unit. That organization is reserved for those willing to abide in every covenant and every obligation which we are called upon to receive while we sojourn here in this mortal life(p. 67)
...children left without one and maybe without both parents, to be taken perhaps through the mercy of the Almighty into some other faithful family, to be adopted in such a family to be theirs through all eternity...(p. 83) All children born in the covenant belong to their parents in eternity but that does not mean that they, because of that birthright, will inherit celestial glory. The faith and the faithfulness of fathers and mothers will not save disobedient children. Salvation is an individual matter, and if a person who has been born in the covenant rebels and denies the Lord, he will lose the blessings of exaltation.
But children born in the covenant, who drift away, are still the children of their parents; and the parents have a claim upon them; and if the children have not sinned away all their rights, the parents may be able to bring them through repentance, into the Celestial kingdom, but not to receive the exaltation.
When a man and a women are married in the temple for time and all eternity and then separate, the children will go with the parent who is justified and who has kept the commandments. If neither of them has kept his covenants, the children may be taken away from both of them and given to somebody else, and that would be by virtue of being born in the covenant." (p. 91-92)

Really the most important sealing is between husband and wife. Their children will be sealed to their own spouse.  Actually all who are sealed belong the one great patriarchal family of God in heaven, so we will all be there together.
You would think that when we all go to the Spirit world we will be able to see each other there, unless our spouse or children are in spirit prison. Even then we might be assigned to go preach the gospel to them. 
D&C 76 says:
86 These are they who receive not of his fulness in the eternal world, but of the Holy Spirit through the ministration of the terrestrial;
87 And the terrestrial through the ministration of the celestial.
88 And also the telestial receive it of the administering of angels who are appointed to minister for them, or who are appointed to be ministering spirits for them; for they shall be heirs of salvation."

If our spouse or children are in the terrestrial kingdom and we are in the celestial, perhaps we will be able to minister to them there and at least visit them once in a while. Who knows?

3 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

We are taught that outside a sealing, marriage is til death do us part. 

Doesn't mean they aren't together, just not married. Like Jesus mentions "no marriage in heaven", possibly. Or maybe it means no marriage ceremonies, don't know,  but the majority of the world believe they'll be with loved ones.

4 hours ago, Rivers said:

Some sealers have told me that most everyone on the other side accepts the ordinances.  However, for the stubborn cases who are in different glories (say one in Telestial and the other in Terrestrial) might not see much of each other -- unless one comes down to visit.  Even those in the same glory -- both in Telestial, for example -- will only be able to hang out.  No hanky panky.

5 hours ago, blueglass said:

Yes but Fred johnson will commandeer the LDSS Nauvoo from the mormons and we'll have to wait for abaddons gate to open up.

Those shuttles never run on time either. 

5 hours ago, Rivers said:

I know that.  But unsealed people can still be in contact and hang out with each other right?

They have to use Skype, though, that's all. 

FaceTime is only used by demons 

3 hours ago, mfbukowski said:
8 hours ago, blueglass said:

Yes but Fred johnson will commandeer the LDSS Nauvoo from the mormons and we'll have to wait for abaddons gate to open up.

Those shuttles never run on time either.

They will run on a Timeless schedule.

6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Doesn't mean they aren't together, just not married. Like Jesus mentions "no marriage in heaven", possibly. Or maybe it means no marriage ceremonies, don't know,  but the majority of the world believe they'll be with loved ones.

It's no marriage ceremonies post resurrection.

59 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

So living together, no hanky no panky?

How will we procreate then? 😏

There’s really so much we don’t know about how it’s all going to work!

I’ve wondered how it’s all going to be kept straight (sealings all the way back in our genealogies).  And how will my relationship be different or my interaction be different when I see or am with someone I’m not sealed to vs someone I am sealed to?