Sign in to follow this  
Doctrine 612

Saltlake temple restoration

1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

Hello Scott...

Yes, I know.. I've done an endowment session in the SL temple, and attended Gen Conf several times, including years ago when there was only the tabernacle before the Conf Center was built.  Never ceases to amaze me that there are some weird, untrue tales that still circulate.   When I was a girl in So Cal, I loved to read during the warm summer months... I'd go to the library and bring home several books.  I'd climb the big walnut tree in my front yard, sit in the "V" of the trunk among the sun dappled leaves and read for hours.  Went through cycles such as Nancy Drew, dog stories, and westerns.  Zane Grey was one of my favorite authors, but invariably he included really derogatory writings about the Mormons.  I used to ask my mom how he could say such things... 

GG

I bought my daughter a Nancy Drew boxed set for Christmas. She’s 13; I hope she’s not too old for them. She says she’s still interested. 

I started my eldest son out on Hardy Boys when he was barely old enough to read. He’s studying national security in college now. He says interest was kindled in his childhood by the Hardy Boys books. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

But does it have an altar? ;)

17 minutes ago, SettingDogStar said:

If stake centers used to have them then I’m sure they can improvise for the CoB 😂

Well it’s not like there’s a shortage of temples within a convenient radius of Church headquarters. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, ksfisher said:

It’s on one of the higher floors, not accessible to temple patrons.   

No it's not. It's the center "sealing room" off the Celestial Room. Always locked with a table in front of it.

There is a meeting room for the 12/1st Presidency above the Celestial Room, but it's not the HoH.

Look in early editions of Talmage's House of the Lord.

http://www.ldsliving.com/What-the-Church-Has-Said-About-the-Holy-of-Holies/s/88839

Edited by jpv
Added link that quotes Elder Talmage's description.

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2019 at 12:33 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

Oh, it’s well identified. I just don’t personally know which room it is. A couple of folks here have posted that it’s the council room of the Quorum of the Twelve on the fifth level. I don’t doubt that. 

You can see it identified in the model in the south visitor center in temple square:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/scaled-model-provides-salt-lake-temple-open-house-experience

Edited by jpv
Added link

Just now, jpv said:

You can see it identified in the model in the south visitor center in temple square.

Yes. That’s a very interesting model. 

I wonder how extensively the interior will be altered in the remodeling of the temple. 

1 hour ago, jpv said:

No it's not. It's the center "sealing room" off the Celestial Room. Always locked with a table in front of it.

There is a meeting room for the 12/1st Presidency above the Celestial Room, but it's not the HoH.

Look in early editions of Talmage's House of the Lord.

http://www.ldsliving.com/What-the-Church-Has-Said-About-the-Holy-of-Holies/s/88839

I've been in the room where Elder Talmage wrote the book, I used to be a part time temple employee and have been in every room in the temple, from the very top to the basement, excepting the H of H and the translation room.  I'm familiar with the sealing room you're speaking of, I've been in it many times, but that is not the room that we're speaking about. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 11:33 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

Oh, it’s well identified. I just don’t personally know which room it is. A couple of folks here have posted that it’s the council room of the Quorum of the Twelve on the fifth level. I don’t doubt that. 

It's odd that you would cite an article that is general in nature that does not even mention what room it was when I challenged that assertion it was in that particular room.

Nevermind- your assertion remains unproven at least for this discussion.  I am just surprised that you would so readily accept "a couple of folks" word for it.   It really doesn't matter where it was written anyway.

3 hours ago, ksfisher said:

I've been in the room where Elder Talmage wrote the book, I used to be a part time temple employee and have been in every room in the temple, from the very top to the basement, excepting the H of H and the translation room.  I'm familiar with the sealing room you're speaking of, I've been in it many times, but that is not the room that we're speaking about. 

What’s the translation room? Haven’t heard of that. The H of H is assuredly that middle room between the two sealing rooms in the celestial room is the entrance. Elder Talmage said “The central of the three small apartments connected with the Celestial Room—situated therefore between the Sealing Room for the Living and the Sealing Room for the Dead—is of all the smaller apartments within the Temple walls by far the most beautiful... these doors mark the threshold of the inner room or the Holy of Holies of the Temple, and correspond to the inner curtain or veil that shielded from public view the most sacred precincts of Tabernacle and Temple in the earlier dispensations.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ksfisher said:

What is the translation room? Is there a reason you hadn't been in it? (I can see the Holy of Holies being restricted, but a room for translation..?)

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I bought my daughter a Nancy Drew boxed set for Christmas. She’s 13; I hope she’s not too old for them. She says she’s still interested. 

I started my eldest son out on Hardy Boys when he was barely old enough to read. He’s studying national security in college now. He says interest was kindled in his childhood by the Hardy Boys books. 

I don't think she is too old for Nancy Drew since Nancy was portrayed as being about 17 - 19 yrs... but keep in mind when they were written.  A more innocent time in society, thus not as action packed as today's teen books.  I remember recently reading part of one of the Twilight series and was a little surprised at the romantic slant between the heroine and the lead werewolf...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

6 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

I don't think she is too old for Nancy Drew since Nancy was portrayed as being about 17 - 19 yrs... but keep in mind when they were written.  A more innocent time in society, thus not as action packed as today's teen books.  I remember recently reading part of one of the Twilight series and was a little surprised at the romantic slant between the heroine and the lead werewolf...

GG

The “more innocent time in society” is actually one of the things that appeals to me about them as reading material for my daughter. 

And I’d be quite content if she never got into the Twilight series. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

What is the translation room? Is there a reason you hadn't been in it? (I can see the Holy of Holies being restricted, but a room for translation..?)

Hey MN, are you going to visit the Salt Lake Temple when it is open for public tours following its renovation? It will be the first time since the 1890s, you know. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

It's odd that you would cite an article that is general in nature that does not even mention what room it was when I challenged that assertion it was in that particular room.

Nevermind- your assertion remains unproven at least for this discussion.  I am just surprised that you would so readily accept "a couple of folks" word for it.   It really doesn't matter where it was written anyway.

Fact is, I couldn’t figure out what you were challenging. It looked to me like you may have been disputing that Elder Talmage wrote the book in the temple <at all>. It would have been weird to contradict that, but then, your post itself struck me as strange. 

I still don’t claim to know which particular room it was (much less trying to prove it to you) but a couple of folks here seem fairly certain, so I’m inclined to believe them. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Hey MN, are you going to visit the Salt Lake Temple when it is open for public tours following its renovation? It will be the first time since the 1890s, you know. 

That would be cool. I’m sure they don’t show the room where you sacrifice children though, right? ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

That would be cool. I’m sure they don’t show the room where you sacrifice children though, right? ;)

I'm surprised you didn't know those rituals are exclusively performed by the Aggie football team in Lavell Edwards Stadium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

I think that’s next to the room from which the maiden jumped out the window into the Great Salt Lake to escape the clutches of the mesmerizing polygamous elder. No, I think that section will be off limits to the public. 

18 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

What’s the translation room? Haven’t heard of that.

The translation room is where work is done on translating at least the temple ordinances (maybe scriptures as well, I forget).  As you go down the stairs by the family name desk there is an unmarked door to the left of the elevators.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

I forget exactly why access is so restricted.  I imagine they consider the work of translating the wording of the temple ceremony into other languages to to sacred and not something that everyone should have access to.  I forget, but work may also be done here as well on translating the scriptures into other languages.