Sign in to follow this  
Doctrine 612

Saltlake temple restoration

2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'd like to find out more about that.  CFR? ;) :D 

It is an old story with many variations. I head it in several forms on my mission back in the late 90s that women were thrown out of the temple windows into the Salt Lake for disobedience or they were fleeing arranged marriages and jumped and drowned while trying to swim to safety.

2 hours ago, Gapper said:

1. I have heard that Salt Lake needs building reinforcements, seismic upgrades, mechanical and electrical upgrades, plumbing, heating, and air conditioning and I would assume the roof could be replaced during this time. Very similar to Jordan River Utah Temple when it was done. I have heard 5 years but don believe that. I would say 2 to 3 and sessions remain live. 

2. I heard that Logan will be the Temple with a complete overhaul trying to restore it to its post 1979 overhaul.  Upgrades would be building reinforcement, seismic upgrades, mechanical and electrical upgrades, plumbing, heating, air conditioning and again the roof. Here walls will be removed and replaced as they try to make the interior more like the original.  Will we see live ordinances return here? Not sure on that. 

3. Manti will be like St. George, a two year overhaul.  Stays live. 

Plan on carpet, furniture etc on all of these Pioneer Temples. Also if you live in the Salt Lake Valley when the Salt Lake Temple goes down boundaries will be realigned for the closure and expect Bountiful, Oquirrah, Draper and Jordan River Utah Temples to become even busier.  

I work the busiest shift of the week at Draper, Saturday midday. Endowment sessions are on the hour. I don’t imagine them adding extra sessions, though the existing ones might become fuller. The sessions are seldom at capacity. There are times when initiatories are a bit thin. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

It is an old story with many variations. I head it in several forms on my mission back in the late 90s that women were thrown out of the temple windows into the Salt Lake for disobedience or they were fleeing arranged marriages and jumped and drowned while trying to swim to safety.

I just tried to document it on Google but failed to find anything. Could be an urban legend, I suppose. I was certain I had heard before that it was in the plot of some trashy 19th Century novel or maybe early 20th Century or perhaps a film from the silent movie era, but I guess it’s  common with urban legends that those who spread them feel certain of their veracity. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It’s not what is formally known as “The Talmage Room.” It’s one of the other rooms. But I don’t know offhand which one it is. 

Do then it doesn't matter does it? 

Pick one and pretend it's the one 

2 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Do then it doesn't matter does it? 

Pick one and pretend it's the one 

Oh, it’s well identified. I just don’t personally know which room it is. A couple of folks here have posted that it’s the council room of the Quorum of the Twelve on the fifth level. I don’t doubt that. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Oh, it’s well identified. I just don’t personally know which room it is. A couple of folks here have posted that it’s the council room of the Quorum of the Twelve on the fifth level. I don’t doubt that. 

Clearly infallible evidence.

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Is that even possible?  Do they mean the "Great Salt Lake"?  Sounds like someone started the story who had no idea the proximity of the Salt Lake... or any lake for that matter.  Or is there a lake I don't know about?  Otherwise it's even sillier than it sounds...

GG

1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

Is that even possible?  Do they mean the "Great Salt Lake"?  Sounds like someone started the story who had no idea the proximity of the Salt Lake... or any lake for that matter.  Or is there a lake I don't know about?  Otherwise it's even sillier than it sounds...

GG

Of course it’s not possible. It illustrates the ignorance and stupidity of authors in the 19th and early part of the 20th Century who took advantage of rampant anti-Mormonism and spun lurid and fanciful tales to make money thereby. They have thus left a dubious literary and spiritual legacy to today’s critics of the faith of the Latter-day Saints. 

It was with tongue in cheek that I posted about preserving the window ledge of the temple from which the maiden dove into the Great Salt Lake. The nearest shoreline of the lake is miles away from Temple Square, which is the heart of downtown Salt Lake City. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It was in the movie, Trapped by the Mormons.

1 hour ago, USU78 said:

That’s what I thought, but I couldn’t find it in a plot summary. Maybe what I read wasn’t complete. 

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Every hear about the swimming pool on the roof of the Salt Lake Temple; a non-member told me about on my mission.

13 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I wonder if they’ll preserve the window ledge from which the kidnapped maiden leapt into the Great Salt Lake to escape the clutches of the polygamous elder. 

12 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'd like to find out more about that.  CFR? ;) :D 

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I just tried to document it on Google but failed to find anything. Could be an urban legend, I suppose. I was certain I had heard before that it was in the plot of some trashy 19th Century novel or maybe early 20th Century or perhaps a film from the silent movie era, but I guess it’s  common with urban legends that those who spread them feel certain of their veracity. 

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Of course it’s not possible. It illustrates the ignorance and stupidity of authors in the 19th and early part of the 20th Century who took advantage of rampant anti-Mormonism and spun lurid and fanciful tales to make money thereby. They have thus left a dubious literary and spiritual legacy to today’s critics of the faith of the Latter-day Saints. 

It was with tongue in cheek that I posted about preserving the window ledge of the temple from which the maiden dove into the Great Salt Lake. The nearest shoreline of the lake is miles away from Temple Square, which is the heart of downtown Salt Lake City. 

1 hour ago, USU78 said:

20 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

That’s what I thought, but I couldn’t find it in a plot summary. Maybe what I read wasn’t complete. 

I just found “Trapped by the Mormons” on YouTube and have started watching it. I’m pretty sure now that this is the one, because among the silent-movie frames is this bit of unintentionally funny dialogue:

“Often I wish I were free ... free to return to where the wide Salt Lake lies at the foot of the great crystal temple, which calls me ... son.” 

I read on Amazon that it’s based on a novel, and that if you order the DVD you get the novel as part of the package. 

The movie is so bad it’s good. And, as I said, an artistic and spiritual legacy bequeathed by ignorant anti-Mormons of yesteryear to their counterparts of today. Here’s a link to the YouTube copy:

8 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I work the busiest shift of the week at Draper, Saturday midday. Endowment sessions are on the hour. I don’t imagine them adding extra sessions, though the existing ones might become fuller. The sessions are seldom at capacity. There are times when initiatories are a bit thin. 

I wonder if you see a lot of my husband's side of the family. MIL was there last Friday! She lives on Boulter street, and just turned 90! Cutest little lady, maybe 4'9, if that. Spunky as all get out. 

Does anyone know where the Frist Presidency will meet when they are working on the Temple?

41 minutes ago, Nacho2dope said:

Does anyone know where the Frist Presidency will meet when they are working on the Temple?

The temple in Rome, of course.

• Like 2

Reminds me of an old joke.  Actually, you may have heard this one already, but with the roles reversed.  The secretary to either the prophet or the Pope receives a call for the secretary's boss.  Upon inquiring who the call is from, its intended recipient is told that God is on the line.  If members of the Church of Jesus Christ are the joke's audience, they're told, "Bad news.  The call's coming from Rome."  If Roman Catholics are the audience, they're told, "Bad news.  The call's coming from Salt Lake City." ;)  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I work Oquirrh Saturday midday.  Our sessions are running at around 50 and initiatory come and go during that shift. The baptistery is always busy. Having said that, I do expect a pick up when Salt Lake Temple closes as boundaries are adjusted for the closure and I remember in Oquirrh how much busier we were with Jordan River down. I expect some overflow from Salt Lake once it closes.  We saw it big time in January when Salt Lake was closed for the month. The baptistery was slammed between the 11 year olds and Salt Lake being down. Endowments were running at 50 plus (50 is the suppose limit) and initiatory were always full. I wonder if we will see ordinance workers coming to Draper, Jordan River or Oquirrh when Salt Lake  closes from Salt Lake as we did with Jordan River when it went down. We picked up a good amount of workers at Oquirrh then.   

2 hours ago, provoman said:

Every hear about the swimming pool on the roof of the Salt Lake Temple; a non-member told me about on my mission.

You used to be able to walk on the roof of the SLC, I have some photos of people doing it and even today you can see the little door where they would have come out of-google earth it

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I just found “Trapped by the Mormons” on YouTube and have started watching it. I’m pretty sure now that this is the one, because among the silent-movie frames is this bit of unintentionally funny dialogue:

“Often I wish I were free ... free to return to where the wide Salt Lake lies at the foot of the great crystal temple, which calls me ... son.” 

I read on Amazon that it’s based on a novel, and that if you order the DVD you get the novel as part of the package. 

The movie is so bad it’s good. And, as I said, an artistic and spiritual legacy bequeathed by ignorant anti-Mormons of yesteryear to their counterparts of today. Here’s a link to the YouTube copy:

Check out the eyes of the evil, mad, manipulating, hypnotic MarMAN <think of a certain vacuous male model  -->  MerMAN!  MerMAN!>.  The only explanation folks could come up with for accounting for single women joining the Church was hypnotism.  Hey!  Blaine Gale is in my ward.  He plays organ for silent films downtown, as well as in the Draper temple  ...  in the chapel  ...  you know  ...

Edited by USU78

3 hours ago, Nacho2dope said:

I would guess the Church Administration Building. Ample accommodation for the First Presidency and Twelve. 

12 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Hello Scott...

Yes, I know.. I've done an endowment session in the SL temple, and attended Gen Conf several times, including years ago when there was only the tabernacle before the Conf Center was built.  Never ceases to amaze me that there are some weird, untrue tales that still circulate.   When I was a girl in So Cal, I loved to read during the warm summer months... I'd go to the library and bring home several books.  I'd climb the big walnut tree in my front yard, sit in the "V" of the trunk among the sun dappled leaves and read for hours.  Went through cycles such as Nancy Drew, dog stories, and westerns.  Zane Grey was one of my favorite authors, but invariably he included really derogatory writings about the Mormons.  I used to ask my mom how he could say such things... 

GG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I would guess the Church Administration Building. Ample accommodation for the First Presidency and Twelve. 

But does it have an altar? ;)

1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

But does it have an altar? ;)

If stake centers used to have them then I’m sure they can improvise for the CoB 😂

• Like 1