Sign in to follow this  
Doctrine 612

Saltlake temple restoration

Do you think they are going to video instead of live?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

I sure hope not. I have never had a more spiritual connection with the ordinances and intents of the rituals then my interactions with the live actors. The endowment was original given “live” and the saints should be given at least one place to continue the tradition and the rich symbolism associated. It’s the closest we have to the original given Joseph Smith gave it.

I totally understand why they upgraded to live in 99% or all temples however! Brilliant innovation on the Lords/churches part. 

Edit: maybe they’re updating the Holy of Holies! 😅

Edited by SettingDogStar

I pray these renovations are high quality. In 1976 the Logan Temple renovations, done on the cheap, resulted in what wags called "The KMart Temple."

• Like 1

I hope they preserve intact the room where James E. Talmage wrote out “Jesus the Christ” in longhand. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I hope they preserve intact the room where James E. Talmage wrote out “Jesus the Christ” in longhand. 

I tried to “sneak around” last time I was there and I couldn’t find the room! Do you know which one it is?!

3 minutes ago, SettingDogStar said:

I tried to “sneak around” last time I was there and I couldn’t find the room! Do you know which one it is?!

It’s not what is formally known as “The Talmage Room.” It’s one of the other rooms. But I don’t know offhand which one it is. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I wonder if they’ll preserve the window ledge from which the kidnapped maiden leapt into the Great Salt Lake to escape the clutches of the polygamous elder. 

Wow they must have had a serious flood that year. 😉

25 minutes ago, USU78 said:

I pray these renovations are high quality. In 1976 the Logan Temple renovations, done on the cheap, resulted in what wags called "The KMart Temple."

I’ve never been, why is it called that?! 😂

54 minutes ago, Doctrine 612 said:

Of course.

31 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Nah, that one can go.

36 minutes ago, SettingDogStar said:

Edit: maybe they’re updating the Holy of Holies! 😅

Since it's one of the few with a permanent designated one I hope not.

5 minutes ago, SettingDogStar said:

I’ve never been, why is it called that?! 😂

Please reread "done on the cheap" from my initial post. Going from the charming pioneer frescoes and faux oak (painted pine) woodwork to cheap, bland mousey-blah finish work was a terrible shock.

A delegation from Logan went to central Utah to warn local leaders about the team's plans for their temple.

They successfully forstalled renovations indefinitely.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Since it's one of the few with a permanent designated one I hope not.

Same. Never been it and probably never will be but it seems important enough not to move or remove. I jokingly told my wife that maybe they’ll expand it to fit more then one guy in there at a time!! Haha

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It’s not what is formally known as “The Talmage Room.” It’s one of the other rooms. But I don’t know offhand which one it is. 

It’s on one of the higher floors, not accessible to temple patrons.   

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Found this interesting to read:

In explanation of the difficulties he yet faced in completing the work, he declared this in his journal;

Experiences demonstrated that neither in my comfortable office nor in the convenient study room at home can I be free from visits and telephone calls. In consequence of this condition, and in view of the importance of the work, I have been directed to occupy a room in the [Salt Lake] Temple where I will be free from interruption. I began the work in the Temple today [September 14, 1914] and hope that I shall be able to devote necessary time thereto.

The room Elder Talmage used to prepare the initial text was the council room of the Twelve Apostles on the fourth floor of the Salt Lake Temple, and the entire manuscript was written in that room, in longhand, or word for word.  The room known as the Talmage Room on the fifth floor was not given to him for use until June 30, 1916, at which time the book itself was in its third printing. The reason for this was that he yet required isolation for the editing and revising of the text. However, again quoting from his own words;

Today, [June 30, 1916] I entered into use of a room in the Temple, which I am to occupy as occasion may require in my studies and writing. At the time I began the writing of the book “Jesus The Christ”, I was given the use of a desk in the Council room of the Twelve. That room, however, opens directly from a passageway in common use, and practically all parties permitted to inspect the Temple are brought into the room in question. In the interest of securing for me greater privacy and freedom from interruptions, the Presidency invited me to use the room now placed at my disposal. This is the room immediately back of the stand in the large assembly room on the fifth floor. It has been carpeted and furnished in the manner at once attractive and convenient. I greatly appreciate the facilities thus placed within my reach.

Elder Talmage went on to state that he spent many long days working on the book, sometimes extending into the late hours of the night.

https://askgramps.org/james-e-talmage-live-temple-wrote-book-jesus-christ/

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ALarson said:

Thanks for this. 

Some might be tempted to read some supernatural significance into the fact that he wrote it in the temple. I think it was more a matter of him needing a location of privacy and freedom from distraction. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Thanks for this. 

Some might be tempted to read some supernatural significance into the fact that he wrote it in the temple. I think it was more a matter of him needing a location of privacy and freedom from distraction. 

Hey! We love our supernatural readings! After all how will we start the faith promoting rumors without them?!

I have one or two photos of the foundation of the Salt Lake Temple when they did renovations in the very early 1960's. I wonder how much renovating they'll do?

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I wonder if they’ll preserve the window ledge from which the kidnapped maiden leapt into the Great Salt Lake to escape the clutches of the polygamous elder. 

I'd like to find out more about that.  CFR? ;) :D 

22 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I think it was more a matter of him needing a location of privacy and freedom from distraction. 

A 2018 Miami Marlins home game would have been adequate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doctrine 612 said:

360 VR

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, USU78 said:

And iirc, there was a major backlash when it registered with community or highrups what was going on.

Perhaps there is greater oversight/hands on these days?  Given the treatment Provo Central got, I am more inclined to see it following that level of reverence for the past rather than the Logan version (which makes me a bit ill just thinking of what was lost when it was gutted).

Edited by Calm
  • Like 2

1. I have heard that Salt Lake needs building reinforcements, seismic upgrades, mechanical and electrical upgrades, plumbing, heating, and air conditioning and I would assume the roof could be replaced during this time. Very similar to Jordan River Utah Temple when it was done. I have heard 5 years but don believe that. I would say 2 to 3 and sessions remain live. 

2. I heard that Logan will be the Temple with a complete overhaul trying to restore it to its post 1979 overhaul.  Upgrades would be building reinforcement, seismic upgrades, mechanical and electrical upgrades, plumbing, heating, air conditioning and again the roof. Here walls will be removed and replaced as they try to make the interior more like the original.  Will we see live ordinances return here? Not sure on that. 

3. Manti will be like St. George, a two year overhaul.  Stays live. 

Plan on carpet, furniture etc on all of these Pioneer Temples. Also if you live in the Salt Lake Valley when the Salt Lake Temple goes down boundaries will be realigned for the closure and expect Bountiful, Oquirrah, Draper and Jordan River Utah Temples to become even busier.  

:good: for the info.