Seriously No Politics ×

Conference protesters

JAHS

1 hour ago, gopher said:

Do you read any of Calm's posts?  She has done an incredible job of gathering information provided by professionals who warn against drawing the types of conclusions you have drawn.  And she is by far the most credible and trustworthy poster on this board so you can't easily dismiss what she has posted.

I think those members of my family who have suffered the tragic loss of gay children to suicide deserve to have accurate information.  Do you agree?

I've read stories of families that have had notes spelling it out that they can't live as a gay in the LDS community. Is that enough for you?

And there was a recent article that not talking about it is worse than talking about it. I read the whole article, and in it one of the suicides was over not being a full believer in the LDS community and that is why they took their life. Happens more than you probably think. I don't think these particular teens were gay, but I don't know. What I'm pointing out to you is they are saying talking about it is what is important. https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-teenager-killed-himself-six-more-followed-11555061402

Suicidal thinking needs to be treated with its own set of rules, not with general emotional health practices.  Think of it as needing to treat cancer in ways that is seen as harmful in other cases.  We would never encourage someone suffering from a broken leg be exposed to radiation, for example.

We need to learn what works rather than assume we should be responding in the same way as to a teen upset about bad grades or not fitting in or not having friends.  And even there it is helpful to remember the full context and not focus on one cause (if the teen complains he just doesn't have the time required to get the homework done, do we ignore how much time is spent on other things?  If they feel they don't fit in because no one likes them, do we ignore how they treat others?)

11 hours ago, gopher said:

I'm afraid you didn't understand my post at all.  I wasn't mocking family and friends who have struggled with suicide or testimony issues over culture or positions over homosexuality.  I was only calling out those evil people among the protesters who have evil designs in their hearts to inflict further misery on those who struggle. If you wish to defend them, I promise I won't judge you.

I also have a great amount of love for those who struggled.  I guess we'll just have to disagree to agree.

My bad.  I misread your post to be sarcastic.  

I'm afraid you didn't understand my post at all.  I wasn't mocking family and friends who have struggled with suicide or testimony issues over culture or positions over homosexuality.  I was only calling out those evil people among the protesters who have evil designs in their hearts to inflict further misery on those who struggle. If you wish to defend them, I promise I won't judge you.

I also have a great amount of love for those who struggled.  I guess we'll just have to disagree to agree.

My bad.  I misread your post to be sarcastic.  

Edited by MustardSeed
Double post

My bad.  I mis read your post in sarcastic font.  So sorry! 

Looking up info on suicide notes and found the report of one study that is comparing how well mental health professionals can predict the difference between actual suicide notes and ones written by healthy people writing what they think a suicide note looks like.  This was to test the effectiveness of computer prediction in order to help clinicians know what patients can be sent home and who to hospitalize as in danger, but it can be used to show how mental health professionals aren't able to pick out what is most meaningful in terms of prediction in suicide notes....and if professionals can't, I don't think we should expect families to automatically, though knowing more background, family members may understand what is not being said---the context---at times.

One example was where we had 66 notes that Shneidman had put together; 33 were from actual people who had committed and 33 where he went to a local labor union near UCLA and said if you were going to die, if you were going to commit suicide, what would you write?

And we took those notes and we shuffled them all up, and then we asked about 60 mental health professionals to tell us which ones were real and which ones were simulated. And mental health professionals were good as a flip of a coin, about 50 percent of the time. Now, that's a hard task, don't get me wrong.

Since the machine was 90% accurate, there is a good chance there are meaningful signs in the notes, humans are just missing them.  If so, we may be missing after the fact what notes are actually telling us about causes, etc.  It may not be as obvious as we think.

This was back in 2013, I will have to see if I can track down where they went with it.

https://www.npr.org/2013/05/15/184232472/analyzing-the-language-of-suicide-notes-to-help-save-lives

22 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I've read stories of families that have had notes spelling it out that they can't live as a gay in the LDS community. Is that enough for you?

According to my family and friends involved in the protests, the claim is that the Nov 2015 policy was responsible for an increase in suicides of gay LDS teens.  Do you have any evidence that claim is true?

No doubt it is challenging to live as a gay inside the LDS community.  Why make it even more difficult by spreading unfounded claims in an effort to turn them against the church they believe in and love?

1 hour ago, gopher said:

According to my family and friends involved in the protests, the claim is that the Nov 2015 policy was responsible for an increase in suicides of gay LDS teens.  Do you have any evidence that claim is true?

No doubt it is challenging to live as a gay inside the LDS community.  Why make it even more difficult by spreading unfounded claims in an effort to turn them against the church they believe in and love?

The families have notes and lived with their gay child. I wasn't there nor spoke face to face.

Did you read the article I posted? Toward the end there is a young man that quit believing and left a note that it was because he didn't believe.

If someone leaves a note that they can't not believe in the church and live in the LDS community and took their life over that then it's clear to me that someone could do the same thing over the Nov. 2015 policy that said what it did.

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

The families have notes and lived with their gay child. I wasn't there nor spoke face to face.

Did you read the article I posted? Toward the end there is a young man that quit believing and left a note that it was because he didn't believe.

If someone leaves a note that they can't not believe in the church and live in the LDS community and took their life over that then it's clear to me that someone could do the same thing over the Nov. 2015 policy that said what it did.

The article was clear that conclusions such as the one you made are incorrect.  And drugs are evil especially when used by teens.

31 minutes ago, gopher said:

The article was clear that conclusions such as the one you made are incorrect.  And drugs are evil especially when used by teens.

Could you be more specific? I will reread the article and see where I failed to understand.

On 4/13/2019 at 4:31 PM, Tacenda said:

And there was a recent article that not talking about it is worse than talking about it. I read the whole article, and in it one of the suicides was over not being a full believer in the LDS community and that is why they took their life. Happens more than you probably think. I don't think these particular teens were gay, but I don't know. What I'm pointing out to you is they are saying talking about it is what is important. https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-teenager-killed-himself-six-more-followed-11555061402

The problem is very fundamental.  The only way to get around the problem is for the Church to go all out pro-gay.  Same-sex temple marriage, etc.  This isn't going to happen.  So now what?  Are we still going to blame the Church for suicides?  The only suicide among people I have known was a young man who did so over chronic and severe depression.  

And I have to ask if even with society now full on pro gay with marriage and everything, has the gay suicide rate gone down?  I haven't heard that it has, and you'd think that if it were something remarkable people would be talking about it.  Or maybe it is being talked about but I haven't heard the talk.

Something I read HERE indicates that LGBT youth commit or attempt to commit suicide at hugely increased rates over heterosexual youth.  And this is a general condition -- is the LDS slice of the pie so much larger then, that we have to get super-exercised about it?  I don't want anyone to kill themselves, but this blaming of LDS doctrine seems very much misplaced and exaggerated.

14 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

The problem is very fundamental.  The only way to get around the problem is for the Church to go all out pro-gay.  Same-sex temple marriage, etc.  This isn't going to happen.  So now what?  Are we still going to blame the Church for suicides?  The only suicide among people I have known was a young man who did so over chronic and severe depression.  

And I have to ask if even with society now full on pro gay with marriage and everything, has the gay suicide rate gone down?  I haven't heard that it has, and you'd think that if it were something remarkable people would be talking about it.  Or maybe it is being talked about but I haven't heard the talk.

Something I read HERE indicates that LGBT youth commit or attempt to commit suicide at hugely increased rates over heterosexual youth.  And this is a general condition -- is the LDS slice of the pie so much larger then, that we have to get super-exercised about it?  I don't want anyone to kill themselves, but this blaming of LDS doctrine seems very much misplaced and exaggerated.

At the very end of the article it says that there should be open dialogue over the suicides. I know that Calm mentioned that it's not right to say the church is the reason or attribute the policy to the reason the suicides happened. She may have a point, but why not be open about how the policy could have attributed. Many gay LDS are very believing Mormons and having been told that if they act out on their inborn feelings, and having the church kick them out or condemn children over their decision to marry is what could contribute, amongst many other feelings. At most we as a society need to make it as safe for the LGBTQ crowd as possible. Not all but many have a gay member of the family or community somewhere and we know that these are not the horrible people some make them out to be. The church will not be forced to let them marry in the temple, IMO. Freedom of religion and all that. So the policy was all for naught and only hurt and devasted the LDS crowd and their families. And that is why the church changed their mind on this policy/revelation.

8 minutes ago, gopher said:

No where does it make the claim the church's Nov 15 policy was responsible for the suicides.

When did I say it did? I only shared the article to explain the problem in LDS communities. And the notion that it's good to talk about suicide. 

On 4/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, MorningStar said:

What I don't understand is why it was so hurtful to be considered an apostate when you make the conscious decision to marry someone of the same sex vs. giving into temptation? Is it less upsetting to be excommunicated for breaking the law of chastity? I think the real hurt was that people were hoping the church would take a step towards embracing same sex marriage and did the opposite. 

I the policy was a way for LTGB to continue to feel "othered" by the Church and lacking an anchor. I could see this especially true for teens who don't understand the context, or even the doctrine surrounding the policy. It was more of a, "you are not welcome here, and there is something different/wrong about you."

I think the policy was more of a symbol to many than the actual legalish wording of the handbook. 

Edited by Jean-Luc Picard
On 4/15/2019 at 8:47 AM, Tacenda said:

At the very end of the article it says that there should be open dialogue over the suicides. I know that Calm mentioned that it's not right to say the church is the reason or attribute the policy to the reason the suicides happened. She may have a point, but why not be open about how the policy could have attributed. Many gay LDS are very believing Mormons and having been told that if they act out on their inborn feelings, and having the church kick them out or condemn children over their decision to marry is what could contribute, amongst many other feelings. At most we as a society need to make it as safe for the LGBTQ crowd as possible. Not all but many have a gay member of the family or community somewhere and we know that these are not the horrible people some make them out to be. The church will not be forced to let them marry in the temple, IMO. Freedom of religion and all that. So the policy was all for naught and only hurt and devasted the LDS crowd and their families. And that is why the church changed their mind on this policy/revelation.

This is fair.

I actually agree with Greg Prince that eventually gay marriage in two generations with be normalized in the Church, especially if biological components are found.

I think they changed it, because Trump won and victories for religious freedom have worked in their favor. They (Church Organization) don't have to have a pseudo doctrine/revelation as presedence, to help them if there was a legal challenge to the Church's way of doing things.

I also think the leaders are very concerned about feelings and recognize it hurt people and caused many to leave The Path. I feel President Nelson is a fairly compassionate person.

Edited by Jean-Luc Picard
On 4/13/2019 at 9:31 AM, Tacenda said:

Oh for heaven's sakes. You read stories. Meanwhile, you ignore piles of statistics. There is a difference between glamorizing suicide and talking about it. Maybe you can read some stories about that on your non factual sites. 

Suicide is a serious problem amongst our youth. It deserves more scrutiny than a few stories.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:47 AM, Tacenda said:

At the very end of the article it says that there should be open dialogue over the suicides. I know that Calm mentioned that it's not right to say the church is the reason or attribute the policy to the reason the suicides happened.  

Seriously? You really aren't reading what she said. But feel free to mischaracterize her if it helps your data free narrative.