Sign in to follow this  
rockpond

Statistical Report for 2018

On 4/7/2019 at 10:30 AM, bluebell said:

This doesn't surprise me.  The climate/culture right now is for people to have their names removed as part of a personal statement of disagreement.  I'm also sure that the groups devoted to helping people remove their names helps increase those numbers.  I think in the past, when people stopped believing or agreeing with the church, they were more likely to just stop going and leave it at that.

So yes more may ask to have their named removed. Then you have a lot of slugs like me. I was totally active and a full believing member up until a few years ago. Served in numerous leadership positions including bishop and High Council twice.  So I still attend church maybe 50% of the time. I hold no calling and this year decided not to tithe anymore.  Thus I do not now hold a TR.  But I still give a lot to fast offering and humanitarian aid. My wife and I are on the same page. In fact she does not go to church at all so when I go, I go alone.

Yet I neither of us want to remove our names from the church rolls and likely never will. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, are out there like us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, why me said:

This begs the question: if Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and the lds are growing slowly, and if Christianity is in decline, the lds need to mimic islam and begin to have more children.

That assumes of course the goal should be to become huge before the millennium. I'm not convinced that should be our goal. I think we should share what we have and raising children is part of that. But children to become huge seems wrongheaded.

2 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

That assumes of course the goal should be to become huge before the millennium. I'm not convinced that should be our goal. I think we should share what we have and raising children is part of that. But children to become huge seems wrongheaded.

I think our goal should be getting to the point where every one of us can call down the power of heaven to be in our midst, no matter how large the church gets

2 hours ago, Teancum said:

When I was a bishop I would get a number of request for no contact. Didn't want home teachers, didn't want ward newsletters, didn't want anyone coming to their home for any reason.

What I did for such was to send a letter stating that I would notate their do not contact request but chances were when there was a new bishop and other new leadership someone may still contact them. I would then tell them if they really did not want contact here are the steps they could take to have their name removed from the church records and then nobody would bother them. In six years and at least a few dozen letters like this I had ONE person request name removal.  And then, when we processed the name removal request, and this person got the letter form our SP stating that their name would be removed unless in 30 days they contacted him and asked that the process to remove their name NOT go forward. And this member did that. So they stayed on the Church membership rolls.

I had similar experiences as a bishop and a ward clerk. We established a mail contact list for folks who did not want visitors but would accept a monthly letter. At one time we had over 50 people on the list. It also helped keep track of people moving out. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

Inside the church it used to be multiply and replenish the earth with choice spirits. Of course that has changed now. Islam is growing through birth rates and conversions. And it is spreading through migration. Our 16 million is jut a grain of sand in a bucket.