Sign in to follow this  
poptart

LGBTQ reversal *Praise warning.

Wow!  if the Prophet was right next to me i'd high five him right now, then offer him beer, weed or whatever else he wanted.  You guys just did something that is a huuuuge step in the right direction and made yourselves stand out from the rest of the religious loonies here.  Any idea what prompted it besides common sense and human decency?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, poptart said:

Wow!  if the Prophet was right next to me i'd high five him right now, then offer him beer, weed or whatever else he wanted.  You guys just did something that is a huuuuge step in the right direction and made yourselves stand out from the rest of the religious loonies here.  Any idea what prompted it besides common sense and human decency?

Perhaps the leaders came to the view that the Church could still oppose gay marriage while allowing blessings for the children of gay parents.  It really is no different than kids of an unmarried heterosexual couple living together.  Why punish the kids for the decisions of the parents?

Posted (edited)

Well it was a soft roll out.  Last year in June the IT dept rolled out software updates to allow entering same sex marriage data into familysearch.org first to see how it would work in MLS at the local Ward unit.  No issues for IT, and the surveys are clear that 58% of the next gen active kids are against lgbtq discrimination.  Hopefully Elder Christofferson`s clarification video can be cast to the dustbin, and he can retract the horrible text he sent his brother.  

Edited by blueglass
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

Perhaps the leaders came to the view that the Church could still oppose gay marriage while allowing blessings for the children of gay parents.  It really is no different than kids of an unmarried heterosexual couple living together.  Why punish the kids for the decisions of the parents?

Actually it is different in some circumstances. The church member heterosexual couples living together know that what they are doing is sin based on church doctrines that they have been taught all their life.
Gay married church member(or ex-member) couples might not agree that they are living in sin and might try to impress that upon their children who are trying to be good members. After all they are married to each other just like other heterosexual couples. 

39 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Actually it is different in some circumstances. The church member heterosexual couples living together know that what they are doing is sin based on church doctrines that they have been taught all their life.
Gay married church member(or ex-member) couples might not agree that they are living in sin and might try to impress that upon their children who are trying to be good members. After all they are married to each other just like other heterosexual couples. 

Heterosexuals who break the law of chastity are just as apt to rationalize their immorality as anyone else.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Heterosexuals who break the law of chastity are just as apt to rationalize their immorality as anyone else.

True, but the the gay married couple are likely to be more antagonistic against the church. 

10 minutes ago, JAHS said:

True, but the the gay married couple are likely to be more antagonistic against the church. 

I’m not so certain of that. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, poptart said:

For almost four years, any requests for children to be baptized would have been sent to the First Presidency rather than being decided at a local level, so perhaps this provided them with a clearer view of needs of the children and abilities of parents who desired their children to be baptized to help their children to deal with the potential conflicts that might arise.  Perhaps some/enough local leaders expressed a significant desire to undertake the necessary ministering tasks even if difficult at times to support children and appear capable enough to not cause unnecessary conflict for the families.

Also the ministering program allows for more flexibility in Church contact.  Lessons do not have to be taught or even suggested, so ministers can stick to being supportive and feel less obligated to be lecturing parents and children of the ideals of marriage and family.  Instead of seeing themselves as primarily teachers, they can more easily imo see themselves primarily as friends now.

As far as removing SSM from the apostasy category (meaning open, ongoing rebellion), I don't have anything I feel wouldn't be random speculation.  I will note it still labels SSM and cohabitation as a "serious transgression" and immoral, in the same category as fornication and adultery and therefore individuals may still be excommunicated for that reason, so I don't see it as that much of a change myself...though I understand why others might.  Language and the feelings attached to it are important and "apostasy" has a lot of baggage attached.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, blueglass said:

Well it was a soft roll out.  Last year in June the IT dept rolled out software updates to allow entering same sex marriage data into familysearch.org first to see how it would work in MLS at the local Ward unit.  ........................

How does that work in FamilySearch when entering transsexuals?  A friend has an instance of a married transsexual and doesn't quite know what to do.

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’m not so certain of that. 

Uhh.....I dunno

4 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

How does that work in FamilySearch when entering transsexuals?  A friend has an instance of a married transsexual and doesn't quite know what to do.

I would just enter the name of the sex they were born as. 

1 hour ago, carbon dioxide said:

I would just enter the name of the sex they were born as. 

Depends on which gender one's spouse is.  If both male, then what?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Depends on which gender one's spouse is.  If both male, then what?

How do you know one is transgender?  If one of the two is designated as transgender then that is the clue.  If neither is known but you know one is transgender, I guess put a question mark after both of them.

Edited by carbon dioxide

42 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

How do you know one is transgender?  If one of the two is designated as transgender then that is the clue.  If neither is known but you know one is transgender, I guess put a question mark after both of them.

Yes, but entering spouses is restricted to specific male and female.  'As to designating gender, there are only 3 -- male, female, unknown.  No place for a question mark.