Seriously No Politics ×

Conference discussion

President Nelson's talk was touching while speaking of his daughter Wendy, loved it. He's a good man, but at the end of the talk he speaks of those members that are on the outside, he speaks as if these people haven't tried or is quite amazed at those those that do not want to take the steps to exaltation.

But what he doesn't get nor most TBM's, is that those that do not want to do this, see something wrong with the picture. Or the path. But TBM's that watch this will be so heartsick at their loved ones taking this supposedly wrong path. And if they remember Sister Banks talk they'll think it's the devil that's gotten to their loved ones.

Thus, it just drives wedges amongst family members. I've tried to watch with an open mind and open heart, but it's these talks that cause problems, perhaps even divorces among the part member or part believing family members. 

In any other faith it's not a church it's just the Savior. Or it's another belief but under a creator. 

On another note, I watched Pres. Eyring and my heart goes out to him and his wife, as I see Pres. Nelson and Oaks be taken by the hands/arms of their wives and walking off the podium area, while Pres. Eyring is alone. :(

49 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

They are not soft-pedaling the reality of the Second Coming. Loving it!

You need to decide if you're riding a bike, or if you're selling something.  ;)  And as you approach a steep hill, I would strongly advise that you not try to surmount that steep hill by soft-pedaling.  I don't think that will work. :D  (Sorry; :huh:  Couldn't resist!)

21 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

If anyone trying to get people to shed their stubbornness or resistance to gospel truths is frustrated I would suggest studying the presidents manner of teaching. 

I have never felt so inspired to make changes than I have by the prophet today.  I feel his genuine love and concern.  This is what makes people truly change... imo of course.  Great session. 

You don't get it, Mustard Seed.  Any sane, sensible, reasonable person would have been offended. :angry: 

;) :D  (Glad you enjoyed the session.  I did, too.)

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

... There are many deep reasons that people don’t choose to make covenants.  I don’t even know if my own covenants are enough, because I’m terrifically imperfect.  ...

Of course they are.  And don't worry: Christ saves imperfect people all the time, even when they're terrifically imperfect! :D;) 

3 minutes ago, Maestrophil said:

I struggle with this - as I so strongly felt the spirit during President Nelson's remarks. I asked my young 14 year old daughter, who says she does not resonate with the church and does not know what she believes in if she felt anything during the talk, and she replied that she felt nothing at all.  

She’s 14, I was such a punk when I was that age.  She’ll figure it out eventually.

6 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Of course they are.  And don't worry: Christ saves imperfect people all the time, even when they're terrifically imperfect! :D;) 

Making and keeping are two different things. But thank you for your vote of confidence. 

And I believe if we have all the information about someone who feels offended by a message that others are inspired by, it (the offense) then makes sense.  There is room for all, and no one’s story is over yet.  Praise the Lord. 

Edited by MustardSeed
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I disagree.  As the creator, it is not his or her opinion. It is fact, absolute. 

What is absolute?

The interpretation of a work of art is absolutely true as determined by it's maker?

Well then I guess we should grant that the Christus is only true for Lutherans? Is that we are saying?

And to have a true knowledge of the Pieta we need to be Michelangelo? 

Or only the architect of a temple knows the truth of the temple?

Surely you are not saying that?

And whoever authored scriptures can know the true meaning of the scripture they authored?

And no one can have a true perspective of anything said or written or made unless they said or made it?

I think that's a direct denial personal revelation.

Obviously I must no be understanding you.

5 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

What is absolute?

The interpretation of a work of art is absolutely true as determined by it's maker?

Well then I guess we should grant that the Christus is only true for Lutherans? Is that we are saying?

And to have a true knowledge of the Pieta we need to be Michelangelo? 

Or only the architect of a temple knows the truth of the temple?

Surely you are not saying that?

And whoever authored scriptures can know the true meaning of the scripture they authored?

And no one can have a true perspective of anything said or written or made unless they said or made it?

I think that's a direct denial personal revelation.

Obviously I must no be understanding you.

Truth can be shared. To have a true knowledge of Pieta we don’t have to be Michelangelo. We just have to ask him.

We gain truth by going to the source. We don’t have to be the source though.  

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Truth can be shared. To have a true knowledge of Pieta we don’t have to be Michelangelo. We just have to ask him.

We gain truth by going to the source. We don’t have to be the source though.  

In literary analysis, this is the authorial intent fallacy. The meaning of a work of literature is not determined solely by what the author intended. The ambiguities of language and the reader’s personal experiences also come into play. The ultimate authority for the meaning of a text is the text itself, not the author. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

On another note, I watched Pres. Eyring and my heart goes out to him and his wife, as I see Pres. Nelson and Oaks be taken by the hands/arms of their wives and walking off the podium area, while Pres. Eyring is alone. :(

I can definitely appreciate this thought, Tacenda. I cannot channel Pres. Eyring, but I can mention my experience: after my wife passed away, I walked alone, too, but only to others' eyes.  I might have appeared to be alone, but she was really still with me.  A few weeks after the funeral, an older sister we knew asked me "Do you still talk with her?"  My answer was "Every day!"  I miss her, regret she cannot be with me now, but the love goes on!

And bless you for thinking of Pres. Eyring like this!

Just now, MiserereNobis said:

In literary analysis, this is the authorial intent fallacy. The meaning of a work of literature is not determined solely by what the author intended. The ambiguities of language and the reader’s personal experiences also come into play. The ultimate authority for the meaning of a text is the text itself, not the author. 

I disagree.  A text has no meaning except that which comes from the author and that which comes from the interpretation of the reader. 

Without the author and/or the reader the text has no meaning. Text cannot have meaning  in and of itself. 

And the meaning of the author will always trump the interpretation of the meaning by a reader.   A reader simply doesn’t have the ability to tell the author “no, you did not mean that, you meant this”.

Watching the "half time" progams in between conference about the Amish families that joined the church. And it's pretty poetic almost that these people are going through or went through, the same emotions that many that leave the LDS church have gone through. And they said something about realizing the truth wasn't in their Amish faith and they were seeking truth. Sounds very similar to many that have left the LDS church. As many in the LDS church realized the early narrative was not true. 

Shunning was another problem, with them feeling safe to leave, many decided to stay in the Amish church. I know our LDS leaders urge people to not shun their family/neighbors/friends, but it still happens in a subtle ways or outright ways, especially if they think Satan has them. 

Lots of similarities here. 

Oh, and those LDS that welcome these Amish into their wards are much like the non-LDS Christians that welcome former LDS. And the world goes round and round.

3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Watching the "half time" progams in between conference about the Amish families that joined the church. And it's pretty poetic almost that these people are going through or went through, the same emotions that many that leave the LDS church have gone through. And they said something about realizing the truth wasn't in their Amish faith and they were seeking truth. Sounds very similar to many that have left the LDS church. As many in the LDS church realized the early narrative was not true. 

Shunning was another problem, with them feeling safe to leave, many decided to stay in the Amish church. I know our LDS leaders urge people to not shun their family/neighbors/friends, but it still happens in a subtle ways or outright ways, especially if they think Satan has them. 

Lots of similarities here. 

Oh, and those LDS that welcome these Amish into their wards are much like the non-LDS Christians that welcome former LDS. And the world goes round and round.

It does , go round and round.  ❤️

4 hours ago, gopher said:

Elder Stephenson gave a great talk in priesthood session, but there was some grumbling in the chapel when he showed Bryce Harper.  It's still way too early for DC sports fans to be reminded of him in a Phillies jersey.

Anyone in a Phillies jersey is good

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I disagree.  A text has no meaning except that which comes from the author and that which comes from the interpretation of the reader. 

Without the author and/or the reader the text has no meaning. Text cannot have meaning  in and of itself. 

And the meaning of the author will always trump the interpretation of the meaning by a reader.   A reader simply doesn’t have the ability to tell the author “no, you did not mean that, you meant this”.

There is a school of aesthetic thought which holds that the true creative act is achieved by an actor surmounting his body and intellect by entering a state of play. In that state the artist's intentionality becomes irrelevant. G-d, you see, gifts him creative power in his mind and in his heart and more besides. G-d plays there, too, you see.