Seriously No Politics ×

Conference discussion

17 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

No just bad PR.

This is a worldwide church, but you do not see that represented.

Me?   Identity politics?

🤣

Projection.

It is a world wide church.  But most people in conference are from Utah and the demographics in Utah still are mostly white.  Now as for the speakers.  They are not blonde but old and gray or bald.

39 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

The calm before the storm?

They may not even speak directly about recent events; they already did that in the leadership meeting and they sent letters to all stake Presidents about it although they might hint at it indirectly.   I don't remember them talking about the original 2015 policy against gay marriage in any conferences. 

Saturday morning was mostly about missionary work in how it’s all of our responsibilities.

be kind of cool if they brought back stake missionaries and you could serve a full time mission in your own stake.

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Choir:

I have never seen a more exclusively white and blonde group of people in my life.   

From my perspective in VERY diverse LA, it was almost scary.

Are the several black Choir members no longer with the Choir?  The couple of Asians?  I didn't notice... While that may not be many, I do have confidence in the rigorous tryout/selection process when there are openings.  While a person trying out for the Choir may have a generally pleasing voice, it takes more than that to qualify and commit to the Choir schedule/repertoire...

GG

37 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, and also a strong display of dominant West European Y-Chromosome haplogroup R1b (R-M343), also known as Hg1 and Eu18.

Clever. But I was referring to the identity politics on display in Mark’s comment. A racially colorblind person would not make an issue of the racial content of the choir. 

19 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Are the several black Choir members no longer with the Choir?  The couple of Asians?  I didn't notice... While that may not be many, I do have confidence in the rigorous tryout/selection process when there are openings.  While a person trying out for the Choir may have a generally pleasing voice, it takes more than that to qualify and commit to the Choir schedule/repertoire...

GG

There’s an upper age cap on choir membership and, if I remember correctly, a time limit. So it’s a good bet that some longtime members aren’t there anymore. 

46 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

It is a world wide church.  But most people in conference are from Utah and the demographics in Utah still are mostly white.  Now as for the speakers.  They are not blonde but old and gray or bald.

Honestly you have to see it through my eyes.

When I go to a shopping mall or any public place locally-  if I even take care to notice it, I am OFTEN the only "white" person in the entire store or maybe there may be 1 or 2 others, but I almost never even notice it.

In my ward we are probably 70% Hispanic and Black, and several Islander families.

In fact probably the whole stake is about the same mix ethically.  We have translation into two languages besides English at Stake conference- but of course most speak English regardless of ethnicity, but we do have non-English speaking wards and branches in our stake so translation is provided.

I have had visitors come and actually be frightened at being the only "white" person in a public place.   They definitely notice it and feel uncomfortable.   And no, I do not live in a "bad" part of town at all.  Mansions everywhere.  Hard working unified families, and virtually no crime, GOOD folks and great families.  The lowest price house is around $700k

It is actually weird for me to be in a white majority situation.

And so I notice it as others notice might notice the opposite.  It's just weird.

But where is the church growing the fastest?  

Don't you think it might be good PR for the public face of the church to look more like those who live where the growth is?

No, I guess they just have to get used to diversity right?  Why then don't we do so?

But this is a derail- I will say no more about it here.

4 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Clever. But I was referring to the identity politics on display in Mark’s comment. A racially colorblind person would not make an issue of the racial content of the choir. 

Yes of course and that is why there are no church commercials on TV showing anyone who is non- white because the church is racist just as I am.

The church sees the need- and you don't.  So where does that put you on the racist scale?

I'm done.  Calling me racist should get you throw off the board.

55 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Maybe Mark was translating his Portuguese name into Spanish.

Yes guilty as charged!  I just heard the name and my Spanish kicked in, and forgot it was Portuguese! 

20 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

There’s an upper age cap on choir membership and, if I remember correctly, a time limit. So it’s a good bet that some longtime members aren’t there anymore. 

My sister was in the choir and she was in it for 20 years before they retired her and I believe the age cap is 60. 

7 minutes ago, Duncan said:

First time a Black  African American GA was called, Peter Johnson and no statistical report

That will show up in the Ensign. I wonder if the long list of Area Seventies took too long so they cut it out for time.
I understand announcing all new main general authorities, but it seems like they could cut out listing off all the Area Seventies.

4 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Does anyone else think Pres Eyring sounds like he’s not feeling well? 

When you get as old as they are there is most likely something medically wrong that they have to live with. I speak from experience. 😕

2 minutes ago, JAHS said:

That will show up in the Ensign. I wonder if the long list of Area Seventies took too long so they cut it out for time.
I understand announcing all new main general authorities, but it seems like they could cut out listing off all the Area Seventies.

the report is online now but yeah reading all these area guys is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I wonder if they did a buffering broadcast cut thing, when asking for opposing votes.  I wonder if there weren't actually the same random weirdos yellin', but they cut out half a second for the broadcast.  Maybe I'm just seeing things, but it did seem like the pause after asking for opposition was a bit short.

7 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

I wonder if they did a buffering broadcast cut thing, when asking for opposing votes.  I wonder if there weren't actually the same random weirdos yellin', but they cut out half a second for the broadcast.  Maybe I'm just seeing things, but it did seem like the pause after asking for opposition was a bit short.

Could be but there's no reason for them to wait long after asking for opposing votes, since they refer all oppositions to the member's stake president anyway.

Mathias Held- BRILLIANT talk about combining the spirit with rational thinking

33 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

Does anyone else think Pres Eyring sounds like he’s not feeling well? 

Who is the choir this afternoon? I missed it when they announced it. That arrangement of “I Stand All Amazed” was lovely. 

Combined choirs from BYU. 

I was just thinking that President Eyring seemed more robust than usual. His voice was not as quavery. 

He’s a good man. I hope he is with us a good while yet.