Seriously No Politics ×

Policy reversal

I just got a news notification on my phone that the church has just announced it is allowing the baptism of children of LGBTQ people.  

What repercussions will this have?  Will there be those who return to the church now?  I wonder if it is a d$%ned if you do d#$ned if you don't proposition.  

Edited to add link:  https://www.ksl.com/article/46524616/church-to-allow-baptisms-blessings-for-children-of-lgbt-parents-updates-handbook-regarding-apostasy

Edited by Maestrophil
4 minutes ago, Maestrophil said:

I just got a news notification on my phone that the church has just announced it is allowing the baptism of children of LGBTQ people.  

What repercussions will this have?  Will there be those who return to the church now?  I wonder if it is a d$%ned if you do d#$ned if you don't proposition.  

Edited to add link:  https://www.ksl.com/article/46524616/church-to-allow-baptisms-blessings-for-children-of-lgbt-parents-updates-handbook-regarding-apostasy

It’s a good question. Will this help the organization because it is more aligned with love and what many members want? Or, will it signal the weakness of the leaders by kowtowing to a vocal minority?

14 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

So much for the revelation that created the ban just a couple of years ago.

Where was it promoted as a 'revelation'?  I never heard any leader call it a 'revelation', just you.

We have lots of things in the church that are policies and practices and they are often changed and modified.

Just now, alter idem said:

Where was it promoted as a 'revelation'?  I never heard any leader call it a 'revelation', just you.

We have lots of things in the church that are policies and practices and they are often changed and modified.

President Nelson referred to it that way (while President Monson was still alive)

3 hours ago, alter idem said:

Only Russell M. Nelson called it a "revelation".  The then current Prophet (Thomas S. Monson) never spoke of this new policy publicly to members (as far as I know)....we did not hear from him regarding anything about it.

It always felt odd to me too.

Edited by ALarson

While we still consider such a marriage to be a serious transgression, it will not be treated as apostasy for purposes of Church discipline. Instead, the immoral conduct in heterosexual or homosexual relationships will be treated in the same way.

Does anyone understand what that second sentence means?  Talk about a change, then say "instead", and talk about something happening the same way?  Hopefully I'm just dumb and having a hard time reading...

1 minute ago, Gray said:

The purpose being to teach us once again  that church leaders are as fallible as the rest of us.

Don't you mean more fallible than the rest of us?  I mean many of us knew it was a stupid idea...How could they not have seen it?  It seems like emotion and reaction got in the way.  But then again it was called a revelation too.  

2 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Does anyone understand what that second sentence means?  Talk about a change, then say "instead", and talk about something happening the same way?  Hopefully I'm just dumb and having a hard time reading...

Homosexual relations are now a morality issue and not also an apostasy issue. Both are still subject to church discipline.

Edited by The Nehor