Seriously No Politics ×

Feeling sad about Cub Scouts...

On 3/31/2019 at 8:35 AM, bsjkki said:

Yeah, my husband is the scoutmaster in a ward that has never had a scouting tradition to begin with. Nobody cares and technically, he should only be meeting with the Deacons who know scouting is ending. And they are now younger and just beginning the program. Everyone knows scouting is ending so there is no “buy in” from anyone. He has a meeting with them once a month. You can’t really accomplish much meeting once a month. Non-LDS Troops meet weekly. Parents and boys are not going to do anything at home either. 

There has never been nor does anyone want to start a scout committee.

It is futile so he has a monthly activity about things they are interested in. 

I understand the need for a long “scouting is ending” warning but it is somewhat tortuous. Cubs has been easier. They still meet weekly and do everything required. But, earning the requirements is not as important.

We meet every other week.

Some parents get it.

Some wonder why thier boys arent earning all the awards on time, despite us meeting half as often

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2019 at 10:00 PM, Jean-Luc Picard said:

I just realised this will be my last Pinewood Derby, unless I join some outside troop (probably not happening, since I am surrounded by females at my house).

I will really miss the program and seeing the boys work toward these bigger projects. I am really excited/nervous to see what rolls out in the coming year. 

have a final "no holds barred" end of year pine wood derby.

Like cubs have their car that follows the rules, and each family can do whatever - except electric or fuel or flame motors, steam engines, pressurized containers

Though might be hard planning for December due to Ward Christmas parties.