Seriously No Politics ×

Word of Wisdom vs. Science.

Be careful. The Word of Wisdom is not just about health. It is also a way to encourage member to make themselves distinctive. It is also about mental strength and being free from mental infirmity due to the effects of what they consume and, of course, addiction.

Also remember the Word of Wisdom is not an eternal law or even an eternal counsel as the revelation itself makes clear. It is designed specifically for conditions in this time period.

25 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Be careful. The Word of Wisdom is not just about health. It is also a way to encourage member to make themselves distinctive. It is also about mental strength and being free from mental infirmity due to the effects of what they consume and, of course, addiction.

Also remember the Word of Wisdom is not an eternal law or even an eternal counsel as the revelation itself makes clear. It is designed specifically for conditions in this time period.

Dude, go on, this is actually from one of my classes.  i'll give the LDS this, at least stateside they're some of the healthiest people I know, not so much because of their doctorine, more so because people just don't take care of themselves like they used to.  Just my opinion.

Educate my dumb self please.

1 hour ago, poptart said:

Someone out there mind taking a look at this and telling me how well it corresponds to the LDS healthcode?  How science based is it?  Does it change/adapt at all?  All I know is it doesn't allow coffee yet they allow soda due to revelation or something. 

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-not-to-die/

It's probably useful to distinguish between the Word of Wisdom as outlined in D&C 89 and the Word of Wisdom in the sense of what is prohibited to get into the temple. The latter is somewhat different since it includes things like recreational drugs and takes "hot drinks" to be tea and coffee. It also prohibits tobacco (smoking, chewing or vapor) and alcohol. Yet it doesn't get into the issues of too much sugar, eating lots of vegetables, or eating too much meat. While Mormons might do better in health over all than the typical American, they're also probably guilty of eating too much sugar and not enough vegetables simply because there's no social consequences to that unlike drinking alcohol.

A view of some historians is that this prohibition on alcohol and so forth that arose by the 1930's functioned as a social differentiator from general American public. In many ways it's not unique since there are other Christian sects that have similar codes (also often arising out of the prohibition movement of the late 19th century through the constitutional amendment and then its repeal). Some think this social differentiator was necessary since the differentiators in the 19th century (polygamy and communitarianism) had ended. That's all somewhat speculative though but is frequently raised in these discussions to note that health isn't the only issue.

Edited by clarkgoble

Anybody see this?  https://www.dw.com/en/drinking-hot-beverages-could-increase-your-cancer-risk/a-48056340

Drinking hot beverages could increase your cancer risk

12 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Anybody see this?  https://www.dw.com/en/drinking-hot-beverages-could-increase-your-cancer-risk/a-48056340

Drinking hot beverages could increase your cancer risk

I like how any potential health benefit of any particular aspect of the WOW (original text or modern teachings) are always highlighted, but when contrary evidence comes up, the Word of Wisdom "isn't about health, it's about obedience/being peculiar". :D

Edited by Gray
2 hours ago, poptart said:

Dude, go on, this is actually from one of my classes.  i'll give the LDS this, at least stateside they're some of the healthiest people I know, not so much because of their doctorine, more so because people just don't take care of themselves like they used to.  Just my opinion.

Educate my dumb self please.

I was done. Not sure how to go on. Do you have a question?

Just now, member10_1 said:

As is the case with many of the foods served in Temple cafeterias. Perhaps we should also impose draconian punishments on those who eat at the Temple. 

Or just go back to the old temple that also functioned as a “bring your own cow” steakhouse followed by a family bbq.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep following the Word of Wisdom.

My weight this morning was 68.2 kg, which gives me a BMI of 22 -- almost the dead centre of 'healthy'. When I donated blood on Christmas Eve, my blood pressure was 99/63, and my resting heart rate was exactly 60 beats per minute. The woman taking my statistics said to me, 'Well, you won't be having a heart attack anytime soon'.

The fact that I don't smoke, use illicit or harmful drugs, or drink alcohol, coffee or tea seems to keep both my GP and my health fund very happy. Moving a bit beyond the Word of Wisdom, the fact that I have no tattoos or piercings and that, being single, I'm not sexually active, also keeps the Red Cross happy. I am, I've been told, the ideal blood donor.

I'm a simple, practical kind of guy. Following what the Lord has given us certainly seems to be working for me. :unknw:

https://www.lds.org/topics/word-of-wisdom?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/manual/revelations-in-context/the-word-of-wisdom?lang=eng

It is not science based in that any research is done to determine what it should be, though Joseph Smith might have asked about health ideas that existed then, though the only thing we know about is tobacco.  See the second link for background.

The revelation hasn't been changed, but what the leaders instruct has changed in that a few things (abstinence from tobacco, coffee, tea) have become a requirement for baptism and then temple attendance.

Otoh, the Church does publish articles in its magazine, the Ensign, and possibly the Church News at times about science based research to encourage members to be healthier.  But science is not taught from the pulpit, except perhaps vaguely referred to, imo.  You can search on " word of wisdom" at LDS.org for more examples of how it is taught if you want.

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Gray said:

I like how any potential health benefit of any particular aspect of the WOW (original text or modern teachings) are always highlighted, but when contrary evidence comes up, the Word of Wisdom "isn't about health, it's about obedience/being peculiar". :D

Both are true, some cannot handle that.

Obviously one chooses the argument closest to what is relevant for the discussion.

51 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Meanwhile, I'll just keep following the Word of Wisdom.

My weight this morning was 68.2 kg, which gives me a BMI of 22 -- almost the dead centre of 'healthy'. When I donated blood on Christmas Eve, my blood pressure was 99/63, and my resting heart rate was exactly 60 beats per minute. The woman taking my statistics said to me, 'Well, you won't be having a heart attack anytime soon'.

The fact that I don't smoke, use illicit or harmful drugs, or drink alcohol, coffee or tea seems to keep both my GP and my health fund very happy. Moving a bit beyond the Word of Wisdom, the fact that I have no tattoos or piercings and that, being single, I'm not sexually active, also keeps the Red Cross happy. I am, I've been told, the ideal blood donor.

I'm a simple, practical kind of guy. Following what the Lord has given us certainly seems to be working for me. :unknw:

Please click here:

I am not a robot ____

;)

2 hours ago, member10_1 said:

As is the case with many of the foods served in Temple cafeterias. Perhaps we should also impose draconian punishments on those who eat at the Temple. 

Some temple cafeterias are not registered or licensed or regulated by local health departments as "restaurants".

8 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Yes, however it does seem to fit the ancient Nazirite vow not to drink any alcohol.  The prophet Samuel is merely one example.  Jesus and his companions all drink wine, and this is acceptable for Jews generally.  The WOW is indeed special, and it promises extraordinary health benefits.  Now, if I could just stay away from chocolate ice cream . . .

15 hours ago, pogi said:

All I can say is that nutritional science is a mess with conflicting recommendations every year it seems. 

So true, one year eggs are the perfect food, the next year they are of the devil. You can get a physician to tell you just about anything.....many fortunes have been gained on the whole diet scam.....i've always been more of eat things in moderation.....but i'm no nutritionist!