Sign in to follow this  
10THAmendment

I'm beginning to have a tithing problem, only not in the traditional sense

On 4/8/2019 at 7:36 AM, Vedrfolnyr said:

I have never had a problem paying tithing. Until I my bro-in-law who works for church security began bragging about the new security training facility that the church is building complete with 12 rifle and 12 handgun ranges and "force-on-force" training areas. 

First I was all excited.  Then it dawned on me that I'm hearing this from some anonymous person who heard it from a brother-in-law, and such things tend to be unreliable.  Then I googled, and got excited again.  Then I found out it's two firing ranges total, and now I'm just plain old "whatever".

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/04/02/lds-church-planning-new/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

First I was all excited.  Then it dawned on me that I'm hearing this from some anonymous person who heard it from a brother-in-law, and such things tend to be unreliable.  Then I googled, and got excited again.  Then I found out it's two firing ranges total, and now I'm just plain old "whatever".

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/04/02/lds-church-planning-new/

Actually, one of my worries was that the Church was being all Pollyanna about the dangers out there, especially in this increasingly dangerous world.  This firing range and associated training has made me feel much better.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2019 at 7:36 AM, Vedrfolnyr said:

I have never had a problem paying tithing. Until I my bro-in-law who works for church security began bragging about the new security training facility that the church is building complete with 12 rifle and 12 handgun ranges and "force-on-force" training areas. For some reason this absolutely infuriated me. I am not allowed to carry a firearm into church to protect my family but the leaders security gets a state-of-the-art training facility? My daughter would love to take gymnastics but our finances didn't allow it. Until last week when I felt that my daughters happiness means more to me than an LDS firearms academy.

9 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Actually, one of my worries was that the Church was being all Pollyanna about the dangers out there, especially in this increasingly dangerous world.  This firing range and associated training has made me feel much better.

Me, too.  One could argue, in fact, that it's long overdue.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Posted (edited)
On 6/23/2019 at 8:59 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

Me, too.  One could argue, in fact, that it's long overdue.

I would go further than that and say I can’t think of a more worthy use of tithing funds than training people to preserve the lives and safety of Church leaders and worshipers. 

In fact, I hope would-be thugs who hate the Church and its leaders get wind of this so they will stay away. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 9:09 AM, Tacenda said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wealthiest_organizations

The church needs to be open with it's records. According to D. Michael Quinn, the church took in 30 billion in tithing in 2010. The church is the wealthiest church, with less membership. It asks a lot of it's members, in monies. And I know they do bring wealth from the corporate side. But wasn't there an early prophet that once said that when the church had more than enough tithing it would no longer be required? Wish I had the quote. 

Here is an article in the Trib that is interesting, and I have worked at some of these schools that are collecting money for Kenya, and not asking for Kenya to pay them. 

a31V16FbHhJmHdmA1Qwq4H-dWQtRgbzg3r0vvvUDxNk.png?auto=webp&s=7e9531b9937229e8466822cb04d7fa25a22d0eb1

It's not an article. It's a letter to the editor.

• Like 1